Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Often To You Listen To Your Own Music For Pleasure?

I've done a number of projects, but there are two CD's of mine in particular that I frequently pull off the shelves just to listen to for enjoyment. One's a pop band recording that I did with a female co-songwriter. I just genuinely like the songs, particularly as a good driving CD.

The other is an ambient instrumental soundtrack that I did for a movie that was never completed. I completed the soundtrack and pull it out for background music for dinner, sleeping, resting, relaxing. I genuinely enjoy it.

So brag away, once you finish all the mixing and mastering and hair-pulling to complete a project, how often do you pull it out just to enjoy it for what it is?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once in a while. Not that often. I like my music a lot (well, except for the first album :D ) and think it's very high quality. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that I've heard it so many times that I want to hear something new. I have a tendency to always seek out new things, no matter what. Something that is really fresh and new to my ears, so that is most of the reason why I don't listen to my own music a lot.

Now, if we're talking about listening to my music while working on a particular mix, I listen obsessively...

I listen to my various ceedees and working wave files almost everyday now. along with my current cover tunes which i listen to larn.

I enjoy my own tunes and words.

I was worried that listenin' to my own stuff was too much like lookin in the mirror and all but I've since decided that it's okay if I wish to study my own jams. sometimes I just have fun hearing my olde tunes and thoughts.

I try to hear what other folkes are hearing. you know ,the first timers.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

I listened to my whole CD last night (Only because I was eq'ing it)

But I must say I like what I hear, the only thing I cannot get over is listening to my Voice, I know they say it's to be up in the mix, and it's precisely placed, but ugggghhhhhh sometimes I feel I sound all girlish and shit on slow songs, and then a little too cocky on fast uptempo tunes, ha ha ah ahah aha

but that's the goal right, the people gotta believe it, so I better believe it and feel it :D

Not often enough. Some of it I haven't heard in months sometimes years, and I forget what I've recorded! If I go an extended period without writing or listening to my old stuff it seems like I'm totally removed from music and I'm just a non-musician listener of other artist's music and talk shows.

Its a shock when I pick up a guitar and can still play it after a long time. The fingers don't forget!

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

When I finish a record, I normally try to put it away for a couple / few months and come back to it 'fresh" later. It helps with the perspective thing. It's too easy to get too "close" to something and that can make it hard to just enjoy it as a listener.

I tend to lean towards the overly critical, "I suck" mentality... so it's nice when I put something on that I worked on that I have not heard for a while and can actually say "hmmm... that's not too bad". And once in a while, if I'm in the right mood and it's the right material, I can actually say "hmm... that kicks butt". But that's pretty rare. ;)

I've always got a tape in my truck, but i don't listen to it very often. The one i have in it is circa 2001 or so, so it's kinda tired.

An interesting side note, is that i may have a song that i'm all into, i'll play it constantly on the guitar. Once i record it, i don't feel the need to mess with it.

weird.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

For shits and giggles? Not very often. Usually by the time I'm done obsessing on my/our own stuff, I'm more than ready to not listen to it for a while. And of course, since Big Sky still plays alot of our old stuff, I'm always hearing the current versions.

That being said, just yesterday I was cleaning a drive and found a song that I'd recorded a few years back. I listened to it several times; it's not much, but some of the interacting tones and harmonics just intrigued me. It's a Tuvan shaman and myself doing a throat-singing improv duet, with a singing bowl. I'm on the right, singing in the style Khoomei, if you check it out.

http://khoomei.com/mp3s/bowling.mp3

Steve Sklar

http://www.bigskyrocks.com

http://khoomei.com

I have no idea what is wrong with that lonk. I'm sorry it ain't clonkin for you.

I just checked and it's slow playing when it does play. they assured me that the traffic would'nt mess with the plays but that ain't so. A whole lot of clonks are being recorded with my IUMA stats.

I have a few songs at sondclicke if you wish to clank over there. I'll give you the lank if you would like.

osk and ye shall gots.

P.S. a fiddy-four cent check? why? what sort of royalty

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived