Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nail Pulling Away

Coker

Does anyone suffer from your fingernail pulling away slightly and causing pain at the end of your finger when you have been playing lot? How do you avoid the pain, especially at the next gig? I dread tonight.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No real good answer. Happened to me recently, I bound tightly it with a bandaid that I cut along its length to make it thin enough to not get in the way. After a while I was able to ignore it.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

It happened all the time when I was playing weighted keys too hard at times (piano and percussive clav). Always the right hand index finger.

I would tape the finger over the tip from the top to the bottom, and sometimes around the circumference. It helped but it was still sore. Keeping it taped between gigs also seemed to help.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Indeed.

I move back n forth from Nashville to Vegas and my fingers split by the nails so often I have an emergency repair kit.

Gorilla Glue gets drops on a paper plate, I roll them around till its sticky and dry.

Bactine and Olive Oil takes the pain away immediately.

I do the Madge finger dip ( Palmolive dish detergent commercial lady)

But finger rubbers for overnight sleep with Polysporin.

Been doing this for years.

892_D5844-7490-4_EED-_B622-_E585_DF21_C8_C2.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Not the nail pulling away, but the painful fingertip splits on either, or both sides of a nail, are an ongoing problem for me. Super (Gorilla / Krazy) Glue. Polysporin with a benzo pain ingredient. Bandaids. Whatever gets you through the night, is all right, alright.

Here for the gear.

Not the nail pulling away, but the painful fingertip splits on either, or both sides of a nail, are an ongoing problem for me. Super (Gorilla / Krazy) Glue. Polysporin with a benzo pain ingredient. Bandaids. Whatever gets you through the night, is all right, alright.

Yes, I get those too, and so does my wife (who plays violin, not piano). But I blame dry air conditions (esp. during Winter) for that, not playing piano. Just try to keep a bottle of hand moisturizer at the ready, and some band-aids for when the healed split re-splits.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Archived