Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Huey Lewis Tribute with my VR09!

EscapeRocks

As I had mentioned in a previous thread my friends in the local Huey tribute asked if I could sub, since their regular keys player was out. Of course I said yes, as I love the stuff.

Plus it was a chance for me to put my VR09 thru its paces on a gig.

WOW!! Not only was I impressed, but so was the band. I spent some time researching Sean Hopper's drawbar and other settings, and dialed them in best I could.

It was really fun to play organ tunes like Hip to Be Square with the palm smears, and judicious use of rotary slow and fast. Also, having drawbars really added to the fun in adjusting the tone in real time.

I got a lot of compliments from audience members on how good the organ sounded. In a rock band setting, this little workhorse acquitted it self just fine, and especially so, considering the price.

Since Huey was opening for my Journey Trib, I had my big rig setup.

PX5S on bottom, Arturia Keylab 61 in the middle, and the VR-09 up top on my Z-stand to which I added 3rd tier riser bars

I used Mainstage, as usual. Everything but the organ came from MS.

It was a blast playing with a horn section, as well.

Okay then...time to woodshed Bon Jovi since I sit in with that tribute in a month. David Bryan actually has some really cool stuff going on behind the front force.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool gigs. The Bon Jovi stuff will be fun. David Bryan is probably much more accomplished than what you hear. He studied with a Julliard professor as a youth then attended Julliard until he joined Bon Jovi. My wife and daughter are big fans so I have heard these facts for years. I always enjoyed covering his parts when I played in an 80's band.

I got a lot of compliments from audience members on how good the organ sounded.

Really?! That's awesome.

Yes. Yeah It's not going to fool anyone into thinking it's a Hammond...especially by itself. In a rock band setting, it fits great, and sound more "organy" than any other Rompler I've had/have.

David

VR09 is not the strongest clonewheel, but it's a clonewheel ...which is like six steps above any ROMpler IMO.

We play "Power Of Love" in my rock band....VR-09 is my horn section! It sounds great! I love the Jupiter-type horns and the effects in the VR-09.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

VR09 is not the strongest clonewheel, but it's a clonewheel ...which is like six steps above any ROMpler IMO.

We play "Power Of Love" in my rock band....VR-09 is my horn section! It sounds great! I love the Jupiter-type horns and the effects in the VR-09.

Nice! My entire sense of when to speed up and slow down a Leslie came from listening to Sean Hopper. And the VR has the best "Power of Love" patch I've ever played.

Yeah, the VR09 really rocks, especially so with the 2.0 update. It's the best bang for the buck instrument I ever purchased. I really really dig it. Amongst many other sounds I was able to create some awesome rock piano patches which amazingly cut through the band. Just twiddle with the EQ knob and dial in the on-board compressor.

Which VR09 patch are you using for Power Of Love?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I think I use a combination of Jump Brass and Jupiter Brass, with a healthy dose of reverb and delay.

I found this on my harddrive:

Yeah, vox were tired that night, and this is the very top of his range.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

What a treat playing Huey Lewis all night! Where do you guys play around DFW? I'd love to come to a show.

Hey David, I don't know their schedule, as I was just a sub this one night. The name of the band is Power of Love and I think they have a Facebook page.

If you ever are around and want to hang out one of Escape's shows (my band) our sched can be found on our site escaperocks.com

David

We just picked that one up too, I use the FA08 for the horns and had to "cheese up" my Electro to get that 80's rompler organ sound (turn off the leslie and turn on the chorus and use the even foot drawbars)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com