Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternative �squabble� setting for jazz organ?

Jazz+

I worship Erroll Garner, but not so much his big band organ squabble setting: 800008888. w/ Fast Leslie. It is to much for me. I am strictly jazz. I have tried 88888888 and the inverted U settings like 876545678

Have you got a favorite special setting for block chords that is more sublime and less cheesy than the Garner for squabble? I keep searching and never seem to be satisfied.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
876541080 is great Mate, easy number to remember, a big band that doesnt get on my nerves. Bars 7 and 9 were bugging me. Thanks again!

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Block chords? What context... You mean like organ ballad settings?

I keep going to the same worn out ballad registrations. 888000232, 008400000, or 808000008. I can't seem to find anything better. I use 888000232 a lot.

008400000 or 888400000 makes a nice base for a lot of songs thing add 1',1 1/3' and 1 3/5' to give it some sparkle. In fact that is how I think of 80-85+% of play. I set my base tone in the first 4 drawbars (8888, 8880, 8570, 8884, 0084, 0080. ect....) Then grab upper bars as I play and shape the sound to taste. Once you internalize what does what you stop memorizing registrations and just do it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I set my base tone in the first 4 drawbars (8888, 8880, 8570, 8884, 0084, 0080. ect....) Then grab upper bars as I play and shape the sound to taste. Once you internalize what does what you stop memorizing registrations and just do it.

Yup.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Block chords? What context... You mean like organ ballad settings?

I keep going to the same worn out ballad registrations. 888000232, 008400000, or 808000008. I can't seem to find anything better. I use 888000232 a lot.

008400000 or 888400000 makes a nice base for a lot of songs thing add 1',1 1/3' and 1 3/5' to give it some sparkle. In fact that is how I think of 80-85+% of play. I set my base tone in the first 4 drawbars (8888, 8880, 8570, 8884, 0084, 0080. ect....) Then grab upper bars as I play and shape the sound to taste. Once you internalize what does what you stop memorizing registrations and just do it.

(Rapidly copying down this post) Do I have to have permission, whether personally, or legally or from Joe, to copy and use your settings :D

My sense of humor aside.. Very intelligent ideas here, thank you. But question. What does "base" mean?

Do you mean

base tones are for Bass notes, or for left hand chords that support something above them, or?

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

For squabble I like something close to 800005678. I like the way it looks.

That's about the setting I use too.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

OH, now I think I get it. A SQUABLE like when you're late with the rent, the landlord knocks impatiently on your door, and to avoid a squabble you hide out on the fire escape. ... got it.. a squable.

I swear it, hanging out at the Blue Note in NYC one night ( not something I usually did ) I was talking to a female, and apparently Jimmy Smith took exception to this.. and Jimmy and I had words... sort of a Squabble, you might say.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Squabbling seems by most people have become synonymous with the registration 800008888 , or there abouts but it isn't the drawbar setting.

Its the technique where you roll the small knuckles/ finger joints so it looks sort of like a cats claw and you can do chromatic glissando chord shapes up and down the manual from white to blacks back to white. If you aren't careful you can hurt your fingers at first. You curl the finger so you can slide to the black keys easier. Sliding off black keys is easy.

Maybe a little overboard but you can see what he is doing.

Archived