Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried an SKX yet then?

Losendoskeys

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kinda interested. I know Hammond isn't quite up there with Viscount and Crumar, and the extra voices aren't equal to the Electro, but the package and the form factor form are very attractive. I would just want to know that the EPs are more playable than the SK series.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm kinda interested. I know Hammond isn't quite up there with Viscount and Crumar, and the extra voices aren't equal to the Electro, but the package and the form factor form are very attractive. I would just want to know that the EPs are more playable than the SK series.

Couldn't disagree more. Hammond sounds better to me - not interested in additional sounds though.

Crumar is really not in the same ballpark and the Viscount is a bigger item altogether for portability before even considering everything else IMHO.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

There have been very few videos with the SKX. It seems to me that HS is not putting out these videos - why? Because they are embarrassed by the lack of improved sounds? If they had great sounds, wouldn't HS be posting good videos demonstrating them?

I had ordered an SKX but cancelled my order - I see nothing to make me want to order one. Very disappointing.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

There have been very few videos with the SKX. It seems to me that HS is not putting out these videos - why? Because they are embarrassed by the lack of improved sounds? If they had great sounds, wouldn't HS be posting good videos demonstrating them?

I don't believe the SKX has any new sounds. Jim Alfredson posted: "The extra voices are the same as those in the rest of the SK line. I compared the SKx to the SK1 at the Hammond booth at NAMM. The difference is that they are voiced (velocity mapped) better for the action. So they play much better. But the samples are the same." So while they may feel better to play on the SKX than the older SK, you would be unlikely to be able to tell that in an audio demo, and there would be no great revelation to be had from new audio demos.

The improvements of the SKX then are not in its sound, but in playability, additional drawbars, the ability to play two instances of extra voices simultaneously, more memory for the extra voices, and better patch recall functionality. If you liked the sounds of the SK2, this is a nicely improved version. If you didn't like the sound of the SK1/SK2, you're not going to like the sound of the SKX.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I had ordered an SKX but cancelled my order - I see nothing to make me want to order one. Very disappointing.

What's disappointing is posting something like this without even playing the board. That seems to be a constant thing with gear on this forum.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I played this at NAMM and thought it was awesome. My current project does not really call for such a serious organ, but I'd love to have one. I'm particularly impressed with how they packed so much of a playable dual manual organ into a small and streamlined package. I have some pics from NAMM I'll try to post.

What's disappointing is posting something like this without even playing the board. That seems to be a constant thing with gear on this forum.

disappointing, but typical of fanboys of other brands.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

There have been very few videos with the SKX.

I agree with this. I figured there would be a bunch of videos showing off the new features. Yes, there were a few. But there wasn't a side by side comparison (SXK V. SK2). And the question I had, was if the engine is the same, will the tonewheel set from Jim load? That could be a big selling point to offset the fact that the engine is the same. Jim proved his tonewheel set is the same as his real B3.

When I look back on things, they really didn't do much marketing for the XK5 as well.

I also haven't seen a video by Sweatwater or Kraft. You'd think they would have put one out, but nothing. Barely any videos since NAMM18.

It's free marketing. All they need to do is make the videos, and people will watch them on YouTube for years. Yet there's barely any at this time.

What I get is the SKX is what the SK2 should have been all along. But is everyone starting over from scratch, or do all the tonewheel and patches from the SK2 work?

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

There have been very few videos with the SKX.

I agree with this. I figured there would be a bunch of videos showing off the new features. Yes, there were a few. But there wasn't a side by side comparison (SXK V. SK2). And the question I had, was if the engine is the same, will the tonewheel set from Jim load? That could be a big selling point to offset the fact that the engine is the same. Jim proved his tonewheel set is the same as his real B3.

When I look back on things, they really didn't do much marketing for the XK5 as well.

I also haven't seen a video by Sweatwater or Kraft. You'd think they would have put one out, but nothing. Barely any videos since NAMM18.

It's free marketing. All they need to do is make the videos, and people will watch them on YouTube for years. Yet there's barely any at this time.

What I get is the SKX is what the SK2 should have been all along. But is everyone starting over from scratch, or do all the tonewheel and patches from the SK2 work?

I thought I read somewhere that Jim's TW set is included.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived