Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro 4 HP - Broken "counterweight"

yamahaahamay

A few weeks ago, a few people played my Electro 4 HP at a jazz jam (doesn't happen that often, but I trusted them). At the end of the jam, I noticed one of the keys was lower than the others, and didn't feel weighted. Furthermore, when I picked up the board, I heard something rattling around inside, which I figured was some part of the action. So I opened it up and found the errant part - a counterweight that went with the key. I noticed some of the other keys had cracked casings on their counterweights as well. I figure that I'm the one to blame - I've had this keyboard since 2014, and although I treat it pretty well on gigs, I have left it in the car on many cold nights. I figure the plastic was fatigued by big changes in temperature.

Having one key a little lower than the others hasn't bothered me too much -- it still responds pretty well -- however, I need to fix it. Does anyone have any glue recommendations, or should any strong glue work? If other counterweights break, I might have to buy a new keybed assembly. This looks like the one: Full Compass

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Here is an album of photos of what I found:

Imgur album

(side note: this is being crossposted on the Nord User Forum)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, then spring into Plan B after trying everything else. Exchange the weight from your top or bottom note with the broken one. I played a Rhodes 73 for several years with no pickup on the bottom note, because I used it to replace a failed one at around middle C. Like I said, after trying everything else.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

A while back, my NP2 was dropped onto its stand with several broken keys. Pablo got me the number of a nearby keyboard tech. I drove the board there, left it off, and picked it up a week later, good as new and for short money.

My guess is that the tech can replace the individual key affected, as they did on mine.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.