Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SP6 - first impressions ....

hazerkeys

So my SP6 showed up today after being on order since 12/31 ... some showed up "on the dock" after several notes to the "sweet" place - Ordered this to replace my PC1x since I love that board, but have been in major mode to lighten the load here (replaced new model CX-3 with Xk1c recently, which I LOVE) ... obviously, too soon to use the SP6 at our St Pats gig tonight, but had about 30 mins with it today ... I have to expect that it will not have all the bells and whistles of my PC1x, but that is the sacrifice for lower weight I assume ... not sure about the keyboard feel yet (will have to A/B with my PC1x) and curious about any SP6 owners out there on your thoughts - I do a lot of zone setups for my gigs, so hopefully that will work out .. although the zones only have the "on or off" setting and I liked the ability on the PC1x to solo a zone, etc with just one button .. but may be workable ... patches seem good at first listen, however, as a classic rock player, think I would have liked some other patches in lieu of all the different piano variations .... I understand that you can load in new patches, so will look into that ... will update this thread upon more playing .. but wondered if any previous Kurz owners that went the SP6 direction have any input, good, bad of indifferent ?

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this. I'm still waiting for delivery of mine, supposed to ship in April. Looking forward to more impressions while waiting for it to get here just to have some idea of what to look forward to. I've had a few Kurz stage pianos over the years, but they've all been 76 key. Always been pleased with them.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

*** update*** .. so I spent a couple hours playing the SP6 last night and really starting to enjoy it ....keyboard feel seems to be ok and I find I can play my (relatively fast) occasional EP solos (for some of our songs) pretty good ..I would rather have some more "bread and butter" patches in lieu of the "misc" that only seem to be good for the occasional late night meanderings LOL, but think you can update patches on the SP6 if I read correctly from earlier posts .. the lack of aftertouch I could probably live with since I only used that on a synth patch and during strings on the PC1x in a couple songs we do ....I was really surprised that no manual (other than a 2 page "quick strart" guide) came with the SP6 ... I really need to see how I can setup mulit-zone programs (like I have on my PC1x) to support my gig needs ... there is an online manual, but really like the hard copy (I can always print one, but you would think Kurzweil would include this?) - Now that I feel comfortable with the feel and onboard sounds ... just have to see if this will work well in a gig situation with the programs, ability to change programs quickly, etc

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I've had the SP6 for a few weeks now. It replaced a Korg SV-1, mainly to give me a wider palette of sounds and the opportunity to zone them. In that it succeeded, and at a very reasonable price and weight, but there were trade-offs.

The 9ft grand has a somewhat nasal quality, and a rather anemic bass. This can be ameliorated to an extent using EQ, but not totally.

The 7ft grand is a little warmer and better balanced, but has a "plinky" character, particularly in the middle register.

A number of the Rhodes sounds suffer from abrupt velocity switch changes that are very audible.

There are a few bugs that need to be addressed (reversed drawbar screen indicators; unpredictable zone transposition results; unpredictable effects behavior when creating Multis).

However, the ability to load sounds from PC3 and Forte SE gives it immense flexibility. Also, Dave Weiser has made some great patches for the SP6. I've been using the SP Steely patch a lot (thanks, Dave!) - perfect for Babylon Sisters!

So, from my point of view, it's a mixed bag. I miss the vibe and immense playability of the SV-1, but there's a lot to like in the SP6. I hope that, as time goes by, it will be developed further and fully realized.

However, the ability to load sounds from PC3 and Forte SE gives it immense flexibility. Also, Dave Weiser has made some great patches for the SP6. I've been using the SP Steely patch a lot (thanks, Dave!) - perfect for Babylon Sisters!

thanks for the reply - We do a lot of Steely Dan ... how can I get/buy, etc the Dave patches you mention ?

The 9ft grand has a somewhat nasal quality, and a rather anemic bass. This can be ameliorated to an extent using EQ, but not totally.

The 7ft grand is a little warmer and better balanced, but has a "plinky" character, particularly in the middle register.

The 9ft is the German D, right? That's what's in the Artis7 as well (though it may be a smaller version, I don't know). I noticed that one is plinky up around Eb 6 (the Eb above the C that is an octave above high C).

A number of the Rhodes sounds suffer from abrupt velocity switch changes that are very audible.
Some of the Rhodes sounds probably come from the original PC3 set, which had fewer velocity layers than what was developed for Forte. But those PC3 Rhodes sounds often worked well regardless, and I could see where some people could still want them.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I thought I was the only one noticing this. Actually this was the reason I didn't buy the SP6 back in November. I was hearing 3 velocity layers with abrupt switching instead of promised 7 (or 8?)

I thought I was the only one noticing this. Actually this was the reason I didn't buy the SP6 back in November. I was hearing 3 velocity layers with abrupt switching instead of promised 7 (or 8?)

Were there not some of each?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

thanks for the reply - We do a lot of Steely Dan ... how can I get/buy, etc the Dave patches you mention ?

You're welcome! Send Dave a message via his website:

http://www.weisersound.com/contact

Dave is generously making his patches available free to SP6 owners.

I think the first EP program (Suitcase EP) is multi-layered (more than three), some of the others are limited to three. I think Scott is correct that the latter may be based on older programs. Maybe that's something that could be improved, to provide a couple more (such as the Tube EP) with a full complement of layers via a firmware update. That would certainly enhance the appeal considerably, as some of the basic sounds are very good.

Most likely there are, I'm just saying the way they are constructed I could clearly hear three distinct layers. The main problem was how they switched, too "obvious" or "abrupt". It may be fine for many, I was just looking for a keyboard with better Rhodes than my S90XS, and I actually prefer EP's from older Kurzweils.

I actually prefer EP's from older Kurzweils.

Well those have the fewer velocity layers, but as I said, sure, sometimes they still worked great. The good news would seem to be that, if they didn't happen to include your favorite "old" Kurzweil EPs in the SP6, you can probably load them in.

A note of THANKS to Dave Weiser .. what a nice guy sent him an email via his web and he got right back with lots of good info ..

I think the first EP program (Suitcase EP) is multi-layered (more than three), some of the others are limited to three.

The first 5 factory Rhodes EPs are all 8 layers.

HX3.5|NS3|NE5D73|MOXF8|SP6|XK-1c|PX-5S|D1|Monologue|Wurli 200|K2vxS|M3|145|Hohner Concerto iii|Vent II|Key Largo|DZR10|K8.2's

I think the first EP program (Suitcase EP) is multi-layered (more than three), some of the others are limited to three.

The first 5 factory Rhodes EPs are all 8 layers.

Correct. Fun to work with!

To get into nerdly details, the EP programs themselves tend to use way more than 8 layers. The Rhodes sample has 8 dynamics. But the programs themselves (created on a ForteSE) can use up to 32 layers stacked or split across the keyboard. For example you could find that for ff and fff dynamics, you want to have a different filter/EQ on the lower half of the keyboard than on the top. So you can have two different program layers, one from C0-B4 with a high-pass filter and then another from C4-C8 that has a low-pass. This is a very simple example.

Also, in the factory and in my EP programs there are many layers with extra thumps, bumps, clangs and squeaks. Some are broken up into separate layers spread across the keyboard.

My friend Rob Currier made the factory SP6 sounds, killed it in my opinion. I made a few custom ones that are free for anyone here.