Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP 40 sound issues/problems

OtotheG

Hi there

Recently got a CP40 and noticed on the Rhodes voice an awful background buzz at the start of the samples on some of the keys. Some of the keys do not have this buzz at all and sound how they should sound. When played side by side it's very noticeable.

I have also noticed a different type of buzz on the acoustic piano sound that is a very high pitched ring/pulse kind of sound in the back of the sound. Again this only seeems to happen in certain keys. Most noticeable on the F below middle C.

I use a senhiesers hd25 11 headphones not the best head phones by any means but in no means bad headphones. I have tried different cables and different headphones. Buzz can heard through both the headphone and main out so can be picked up on a recording.

I sent the piano back for a new one sent and exactly the same noises, which makes me think this is how it is meant to sound which seeems odd to me as people seem to rave about how good these boards sound.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Thanks for your time

O

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those Rhodes samples sound as bad as Rhodes pianos.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thanks for your input WesG.

It's beyond bad though, its unplayable.

Still doesn't explain the high pitched pulse ring on some of the keys on the AP sounds..

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who has noticed this issue and also find it hard to believe I've been sent two pianos with exactly the same fault. I don't know what to think.

Struggling to know what to do. Its a lot of money to me so I find these problems hard to just accept that is how the piano should sound.

Anyone got any suggestions for alternatives? Its hard to find a board with them sort of features in that price range.

Thanks again for you time

O

I find my CP4 very playable, it should be the same as your board. Any chance you've just created a registration that brings out these characteristics? I never even notice the imperfections in the sampled pianos unless I'm practicing alone with headphones on.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thanks for your responses guys.

With the Rhodes voice its on the 75RD1 voice and all versions of it trem, overdrive etc. Particularly noticeable on the F below middle C. If you play it against middle C for example the buzz is so noticeable.

For the AP sounds its pretty much on all of the AP voices, its a lot less noticeable than on the rhodes and its a different type of ring, more of a pulsing ring right in the back ground. As the rhodes one is more of a buzz. Again this is quite noticeable on the F below the middle C.

Like I mentioned previously even the store where I got it from could hear the buzz and accepted the return, it even went back to the shop for testing and they found the same issue. Seems bonkers that the new one has exactly the same problem.

If I adjust the hammer position to TOP 3 I can get around the buzz in the Rhodes but cant get rid of it on the AP sounds.

When your playing for hours in headphones it starts to drive you crazy, the effects reverb and chorus only exacerbate the buzzing.

Thanks again for your time everyone, I really do appreciate it.

O

Hi Mike thanks for the recordings.

Yes I agree you can't hear a buzz on yours. did you have to volume all the way up when making the recording?

I have linked a recording I did a while ago. The first note repeat is the F4 with the buzz. The final note is a key where the buzz isn't there. Its right at the start and lasts for about about a quarter of the note. Its quite a delicate buzz fairly high pitched. Turn up loud listen in headphones, even i phone headphones will show you the noise.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mkFiFU_Syt5LZiKgRNicl1nMgu8_VXG9

I also found this thread which seems to be the same problem.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/strange-sounds-while-playing-rhodes-sounds-kind-of-artefacts

However people in here are arguing its the key off sound, it isn't the case with mine. And anyway that still wouldn't explain the discrepancy between notes, i.e. some notes have it some don't - all within the same voice setting.

I'm having the piano picked up today and returned. This was the second attempt.

Thanks again everyone

O

I agree you can't hear a buzz on yours. did you have to volume all the way up when making the recording?

No, but the Master Volume control isn't in the signal chain to the onboard recorder, so it has no effect one way or the other.

I have linked a recording I did a while ago. The first note repeat is the F4 with the buzz. The final note is a key where the buzz isn't there. Its right at the start and lasts for about about a quarter of the note. Its quite a delicate buzz fairly high pitched.

Okay, I think I hear the sound you're talking about. It sounds like a dissonant high harmonic right at the strike of the key, that decays fairly rapidly?

Mine has that too on some notes in the 75RdI voice, including F3. The harder I strike the note, the less obvious it is, and I think I played harder strikes on my recording than you did on yours. When I play back your recording and try to match your strike velocity, mine sounds pretty much the same as yours.

If I edit the Strike Position parameter, that harmonic is very prominent using the rear3 setting. But using the top3 setting, it isn't really audible to me. (My recording was made with the "default" Strike Position, which is in the middle, and I assume yours was too.)

Bottom line, I don't think this is a defect in the unit, I think it's a characteristic of the sample/model on which this voice was based ... i.e., the sound of the real Rhodes instrument that was used. If I switch to the 73RdI voice, for example, I don't get that sound on F3 (but I do on Eb3 and others). I'm no expert in acoustics (or whatever the field would be), but I would guess that this sound has something to do with inharmonicity in the physical tine itself.

Of course, the fact that it's inherent in the sample/model, because it was present in the real instrument, doesn't mean that you have to like it ... if it bugs you, it bugs you!

However people in here are arguing its the key off sound, it isn't the case with mine.

It's definitely not the key-off sound, because it's right at the strike, not at the let-up.

And anyway that still wouldn't explain the discrepancy between notes, i.e. some notes have it some don't - all within the same voice setting.

Can't say I agree with you on that one. Discrepancies between notes have to be expected if the samples/models were created from a real instrument, because every real instrument has plenty of note-to-note discrepancies. If the samples have been stretched over several notes, the discrepancy will be there for each of the notes that were created using the same sample.

I'm having the piano picked up today and returned. This was the second attempt.

Bummer that it didn't work out for you! :(

Mike