Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Covering horn lines with B3 sounds - drawbar registrations

Tusker

I need to cover some Phil Collins tunes and want to try B3 sounds for some gigs which won't have live horns. In the past some of us have mentioned using B3 to cover horns. These horns (Fenix Horns and the later Vine Street horns) often play the first trumpet an octave up from the regular stack, so they can be pretty screamy. Not quite Doc Severinson but ...

Is there a magic registration or should I follow my instincts and pull out stops until ears bleed, then dial it back a bit?

:D:rawk:

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but I just experiment with all sorts of drawbar settings and Leslie settings and Chorus on off etc. when Playing a line with horns. Unisons, octaves, both, Fifths.

Just have fun.. you are not being asked to sound LIKE horns, right? That is not feasible.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Just have fun.. you are not being asked to sound LIKE horns, right? That is not feasible.

Absolutely not. :thu:

Just want to be smart about playing a musical role (stabs, lines, falls, syncopation) effectively.

I also really like stopped Leslie for this kind of thing.

:thu:

Thank you, yes. It can obscure the lines. Also very easy to destroy the vocal blend with too much turbulence in the stratosphere.

Theres a registration in the Brian Charette book called Half-Fat 888 000 888 which he suggests is good for this sort of thing.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

very easy to destroy the vocal blend with too much turbulence in the stratosphere.

http://slideplayer.com/slide/8959979/27/images/4/Turbulence+arises+in+several+places.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Let me be the first to say you could always get a....

Nord Lead...

And double your Hammond with that.

But I'd suggest maybe 808 800 000 or full drawbars, also, some cool techniques I see people like Steve Winwood doing with the horn section replacement is some glissandos.

When he uses the settings for stuff like Higher Love where there is obviously synth horns, he uses a bright setting like 808 808 008 with maybe some 3rd percussion, and stuff like glissandos for stuff like falls and upward glissandos. I'd also recommend maybe 888 000 888 as well. Those horn lines can be tricky. Try playing 2 notes an octave or 2 apart from each other, or at weird voicings, because a horn section voice their chords differently.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Archived