Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup upgrade

Fred_C

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 I talked my buddy into putting 57 US made Gibson humbuckers and upgraded pots on his Sheraton. That Epi really came alive and it sounds as good as any 335 for like 1/3rd the price...it's one of his favorite sounding and playing guitars! I would have considered doing the same thing then Epi came out with an ES-175 with US 57 Gibson humbuckers and upgraded 500k pots. So, I bought one instead as I love the body style. The same as the ES-295, that Epi is now putting US made P90's on the Scotty Moore model. A great way to get a great sounding and playing guitar for 1/4th the price! The upgraded pups can really make the difference IMHO! :cool:

Bro. Larry,

Yes! That Epi ES-175 was (is) an incredible value. Just about every comment I've read about it indicates that it is a very nice guitar for not a lot of money (my favorite kind).

I am not familiar with the Epi ES 295. I'll take a look at it.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I don't blame you Brother Fred...you can get a Gibson model without a Bigsby...for about $4,000 extra LOL! I do have one guitar with a Bigsby a Taylor T3B. I'm not a big fan of the Bigsby either or any other whammys for that matter. They do come in handy for surf stuff and make for some cool endings! I like the Bigsby as compared to a Strat whammy as it's more subtle. A little too much hardware for my style... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I don't blame you Brother Fred...you can get a Gibson model without a Bigsby...for about $4,000 extra LOL! I do have one guitar with a Bigsby a Taylor T3B. I'm not a big fan of the Bigsby either or any other whammys for that matter. They do come in handy for surf stuff and make for some cool endings! I like the Bigsby as compared to a Strat whammy as it's more subtle. A little too much hardware for my style... :cool:

I concur. We really do think alike. It may be a function of the musical genres I play, but I like a fixed bridge with either a stopbar or trapeze type of tailpiece. All three of my hollow bodies have rosewood bridges with trapeze tailpieces. My "Sherrie" of course, has the classic stopbar tunamatic.

Bro, I gotta' tell you again how the electronics upgrade took Sherrie to a whole other level. She will, I believe, compete with just about any semi-hollow design out there. An amazing, versatile, great playing, great sounding guitar. It was money well spent.

If you play cool, you are cool.

+1 Brother Fred, I'm a firm believer in the pickups making all the difference in the world of electric guitars. I'm spoiled on the Gibson 57's but any good pickup can make a cheaper model sound as good as an expensive one. Epi learned this and really upgraded the ES-175 and ES-295. The great thing about the older Sheratons are they are just so easy to play and have great action and were very pretty and were very well made for the price. You just could not beat them. Adding some great pups really make them come alive. My only gripe is they are kind of heavy, but that's not enough to make me change my mind. I think Epi is still the best deal on the market and I would always recommend their models to anyone starting out... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived