Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thursday Funk to get you going

bennyray

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to Mother's Finest (MF), it's two words..."Baby Love". :thu:

I saw MF perform several years ago at an outdoor venue. They played in the pocket and were funky as h8ll. Someone must have told them about the DC flavor. ;)

I don't indulge but the weed smoke was thick in the air and complemented the music perfectly. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

was not aware of this band. Thanks for posting.

It's odd that this band has its main following in Germany (mostly due to this very TV performance on the "Rockpalast" series), while it is all but forgotten in the U.S.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

It's odd that this band has its main following in Germany (mostly due to this very TV performance on the "Rockpalast" series), while it is all but forgotten in the U.S.

these thing happen, hopefully not often. I dig the Clavinet through a phase shifter, most familiar with this sound when Bernie Worrell was playing with Talking Heads mid 80's.

I can't identify the keyboard to the left of the Clavinet and Minimoog, I see it has 4 octaves and lots of knobs and sliders. Any guesses?

Really cool custom keyboard stands. :2thu:

:nopity:

No, me neither...but they're as funky as hell - I'm a fan now!

Great playing from everyone, and the vocalist is on fire!

Great picture and sound/mix quality in this vid too - it seems Germans often did a great job of preserving live music (Beat Club/Musikladen etc.).

Thank you for posting.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I can't identify the keyboard to the left of the Clavinet and Minimoog, I see it has 4 octaves and lots of knobs and sliders. Any guesses?

Hi Dave

I'm pretty sure that's an Oberheim 4 voice (used to have one myself back in the day). The 4 voice was also used by early Prince, and Rush for some of their iconic sounds (Tom Sawyer), very big sounding synth. Basically it was 4 Oberheim SEM modules in one package. Also had at the time the very newfangled option for "patch memory (8 total), the little squares he is pressing on the left side of the synth.

That plus the white faceplate color, and the hinge connectors at the top and latched (they had a lid that fit over, kinda like a Rhodes). Plus the sound is pretty indicative when he opens up the filter. Final clue is that the 4 voice didn't have a pitch bend, as I recall, so you had to tweak with the pitch knob (which he does in his funky solo.

Check it out starting around 14:29 to get a cool sense of its sounds. REALLY big and squishy sounding when you tune all 8 oscillators together and play with the filter (check out around 14:40).

Brings back great memories. Thanks for posting, bennyray. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

+1

Are we in share mode? Some days I can't shake this one... so here's something for Friday:

[video:youtube]

Here for the gear.

Btw, hope everyone realized that the linked video was part 2 of 4 of the original concert video. Do check out the other parts, this is monstrous.

Thank you very much for posting, bennyray. One of the best discoveries in a while.

I saw MF around 1976 or so when they were playing college clubs around the Southeast and I was blown away at the energy they brought on stage and that keyboard player nicknamed Wizard was so funky that I was blown away the way he was playing the Clav.

Just ran across this old video and MF is doing their thang.

Good Clav playing video from 1978.

Im still Facebook friends with guitarist Moses Mo. We go back to the early 1980s together, in Atlanta. Their drummer, B.B. Queen, used to sit in with us, when we did one of their songs (Piece Of The Rock). They were a hard-rocking funk band, live. The early 1980s in Atlanta was a great place for music. Mothers Finest, The Producers, The Bus Boys, Swinging Richards, Momentum, Indigo Girls. Im forgetting some.

eta: The Dregs.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Im still Facebook friends with guitarist Moses Mo. We go back to the early 1980s together, in Atlanta. Their drummer, B.B. Queen, used to sit in with us, when we did one of their songs (Piece Of The Rock). They were a hard-rocking funk band, live. The early 1980s in Atlanta was a great place for music. Mothers Finest, The Producers, The Bus Boys, Swinging Richards, Momentum, Indigo Girls. Im forgetting some.

I lived in Stone Mountain about 15 minutes from downtown ATL. back in the day and used to see MF play at Harlow's alot. I knew the Producers as well. I played in a band that did some shows with MF where we were the opening act for them back in the early 80's when they were doing club shows. Moses had a younger brother that played guitar in a band called Illusion. Moses joined that band for awhile when MF took a break.

I lived in Stone Mountain about 15 minutes from downtown ATL. back in the day and used to see MF play at Harlow's alot. I knew the Producers as well. I played in a band that did some shows with MF where we were the opening act for them back in the early 80's when they were doing club shows. Moses had a younger brother that played guitar in a band called Illusion. Moses joined that band for awhile when MF took a break.

I lived in Marietta, around the corner from The Big Chicken, then moved to the corner of Lindbergh & Piedmont behind Half Moon Saloon, where the Indigo Girls got their start.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Well, in '73 and '74 I saw them play at Richard's, the Electric Ballroom, Gold Key apartments and Quail Creek apartments, and open for multiple concerts. Back then the Atlanta music was beyond awesome.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

I lived in Marietta, around the corner from The Big Chicken, then moved to the corner of Lindbergh & Piedmont behind Half Moon Saloon, where the Indigo Girls got their start.

Were you living there in, say, '86 to '89? Uf so we were neighbors....

so that was 45 years ago. What happened since then?

I reckon they've been doin' like the rest of us - gigging as much as they can. They're still busy down south, playing the amphitheaters and such.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

so that was 45 years ago. What happened since then?

I reckon they've been doin' like the rest of us - gigging as much as they can. They're still busy down south, playing the amphitheaters and such.

:2thu:
:nopity:

Here's some more Thursday funk

Blow Your Head by the JBs

Some tasty Oberheim SEM in there, especially in the first minute of the song, where that quacky raspy synth takes lead, then comes up later in a solo. Any of you guys cover that?

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Archived