Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anomalie - a Canadian Jazz and Synth genius

zephonic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea that dude is sick. I found him through another ridiculous player Rob Araujo - from the hang glide track.

Sometimes when im posting a video of mine on instagram one of theirs pops up and I almost wonder why I bother!

Nord Electro 5D, Prophet 6, Moog Little Phatty (2) Tempest, Drumtraks, RX5...

And limited playing ability and experience!

Gotd8mn. That's what I'm listening for nowadays. This dude belongs in the "Keyboards Rule..." thread. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh yeah, homie has been blowing up Instagram for a little while here. He's another sideplayer turned lead, used to tour with Gramatik. Obviously an incredible talent and very smart about his own career and aesthetic.

There is a whole scene of people like this: Anomalie, Rob Araujo, FKJ, Pomo, Haywire, MAXWILL, etc. They're combining jazz harmony and soloing with hip-hop grooves and electronic production. Some mix several live instruments with a deeply arranged live show. Anomalie and Araujo are some of the most technically skilled keyboardists though, which makes their collaboration logical.

Here's that track and the above-keyboard teaser they also released for good measure. Some damn cool shit. Some damn good players.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

I understand the influences like G Duke and some obvious playing skills, but the compositional lineage and lack of sound subtleties and attractiveness are very unappealing to me.

Theo, you might need to edit this post. As it stands now, I understood every word of it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I understand the influences like G Duke and some obvious playing skills, but the compositional lineage and lack of sound subtleties and attractiveness are very unappealing to me.

Theo, you might need to edit this post. As it stands now, I understood every word of it.

Same here. The clarity and brevity of Theo's post has confused me.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hey, being an engineer and all that isn't a challenge!

It's probably my all time favorite type of music, of course given it's any good. When I've finished my Lexicon spoiler removal and Lexicon component retrieval on the Kurzweil and finished the explanation (not so much demo) video I planned on the wonderful sounds possible (including implicit velocity layer smoothing), I owe it to myself to after a long time try some exciting Fusion playing and recording!

T

Yes! Anomalie has been on the come-up for quite some time here. I'm happy to see his success and to see him getting some love on the forum. He has ridiculous chops - his mother is a classical pianist - and his production game consistently gets better and better.

I also highly - highly - recommend this album he co-produced with vocalist extraordinare Fredy V.

EDIT: MAJUSCULE already beat me to it but if you guys are liking Anomalie, you should also check out the other Canadian synth/production wizard, Pomo. I got to know him when he lived in Montreal for a second and I'm so happy to see the career that he has.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Hey, being an engineer and all that isn't a challenge!

It's probably my all time favorite type of music, of course given it's any good. When I've finished my Lexicon spoiler removal and Lexicon component retrieval on the Kurzweil and finished the explanation (not so much demo) video I planned on the wonderful sounds possible (including implicit velocity layer smoothing), I owe it to myself to after a long time try some exciting Fusion playing and recording!

T

Excellent. Much better. Thank you.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 7 months later...

Anomalie just dropped his new EP, Métropole Part II.

https://www.anomaliebeats.com/

Stylistically not much different from the first one, but it doesn't need to be as his stuff is still very much on the cutting edge. I like 'Crescent', it is a little faster than all the downtempo stuff he has been doing.

I really regret missing his show in LA last April. Looks like he's going to Europe, Australia and Asia first for the next six months.

It's a Part II, I wasn't expecting too much different. :) Still dig it though. Curious to see what a full-length will look like, and how he'll evolve artistically through the years.

I also missed him here, but I think he was playing solo, since he was opening for the Glitch Mob, not headlining his own bill. Probably still would've been great.

Archived