Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 - is an xD Memory Card Really Necessary...?

iluvchiclets

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Kurzweil PC3 (73 key) - a complete surprise purchase for me, I was so taken aback with how good it sounds that I could not say no! :) I rarely see them in stores, so I never had a chance to really sit and go through the sounds. I can't believe this keyboard has evaded me all these years.

Now I want to scour the internet for sound banks that are available - there appear to be quite a few options.

When adding sounds, am I correct that I can add them using my PC and a USB cable, or do I need to start searching for fiddly old memory cards? (Hopefully the former...)

Thanks in advance for any expertise or advice.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my keyboard! Yes, look for some xD cards. In my experience, using a PC is much more fiddly than the xD cards. Get the latest OS from the Kurzweil site, too. Manuals online to download and the Knowledge Base are very helpful. Go to the Products page at the bottom and click Legacy Products. Click PC3 and a wealth of info is there. One powerful keyboard. Love mine.
Kurzweil PC3-76

Thank you for the message,

Can using a PC allow doing the same thing as the xD Cards? Having a look on Amazon ($36! for a 2GB...I need only 512mb) looks cost prohibitive. I see the cards on ebay as well, but they look like they are coming from China.

I figure if I have a computer I might as well try to use that method. I am just at the start of going through the owner's manual, so I will see where that takes me. It looks a bit complicated, thus the reason I asked here. I appreciate your reply :)

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Also check the Mastering VAST forums, which are (mostly) Kurzweil specific. Forum does require a modest price annual subscription, but a wealth of user patches and knowledge. (disclaimer: I am a forum moderator).

I have three PC3s - all three sizes. xD card must be either the original type S, which range from 16met to 512meg, or SOME 1GB cards will work. They are harder to find than they used to be. Sometimes easiest and cheapest is a very old digital camera on EBay or pawn shop that contains one. Then you can backup after adding patches and making changes to patches.

The Virtual USB drive does work, but has a limited capacity. For instance, you only have room to load one part of an OS update, then delete that part and load the other - I have to do that on one of my units, because the xD reader quit working and I didn't want to spend the $$ for replacement.

Version 2.21 is the last OS release. If your unit has any of the version 1 OS, be sure to read the readme file since flash memory has to be formatted to install version 2 OS.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I rarely see them in stores, so I never had a chance to really sit and go through the sounds. I can't believe this keyboard has evaded me all these years.

Yeah, tell me about it!

PC3 owner here since Dec 2016.

Yep, this keyboard is the shizzle and the shimmy! No doubt!

Love mine to death!

Sorry, can't be of any help with data transfers or memory cards. Haven't gotten there yet. Too busy gigging it mainly for its KB3 sounds. But those orchestral banks... Whoooo! Can't beat 'em.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I managed to get a couple 2nd hand off eBay for a fly gig with a rented PC3x. It's VERY picky about which it'll work with - when I get home I'll look up exactly which type it works with.

Just found my thread on xD cards from a while ago on Mastering VAST, you need S type cards to work with the PC3. The newer M and H types don't work.

To answer your question, you don't need the memory cards; you can load directly into the keyboard using a USB cable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

Yeah what Dave said. PC is absolutely the way to go. Not fiddly at all. I suppose would want an xD card if you needed to recover from disaster at a gig or if the USB port stopped working.

OP; I think have a spare card I could send you for postage cost (from USA). PM me if interested.

I make software noises.

Thanks everyone! I did read the above post, and it brought back memories of me trying to get Compact Flash memory cards working in my Boss BR recorders...what a nightmare that was. As a result, I thought I would avoid the whole obsolete memory card dance and just use USB.

If I have any issues with USB, I will definately start to hunt down an "S" type xD card.

Will write again if I have any other questions.

OP; I think have a spare card I could send you for postage cost (from USA). PM me if interested.

Thank you for the offer - I will PM if I decide I want to go that route.

And thank you everyone else for the answers...you know, this was the first forum I thought of for answering my initial question. I recalled I had seen praise for the Kurz boards here in the past, but I was never able to make the connection as I never saw the keyboards in stores. It just sounds so different and so fresh compared to all the Korg, Roland, and Motif boards I have owned over the years. I guess I have ear-fatigue from playing them for so many years.

The PC3 is such a nice surprise!

As a PC3 owner since 2008, I would suggest finding a 512MB xD card, it's just WAY more convenient, and pays for itself.

Frankly, if $36 is "cost prohibitive" you might be in the wrong hobby/career. ;)

Regardless, check your local Salvation Army, Thrift Store, etc for old electronics and see if you can scrounge one of these up. You'll be better off for it.

As a PC3 owner since 2008, I would suggest finding a 512MB xD card, it's just WAY more convenient, and pays for itself.

Frankly, if $36 is "cost prohibitive" you might be in the wrong hobby/career. ;)

...You'll be better off for it.

I understand, and I might actually go this route. (When I used the words cost-probitive, what I meant was feeling "ripped-off" only because a card is "rare". I can find 64 Gig memory cards for $9.99, so 512mb I figure should be $5 max! :) )

in case you decide to go the card route there are several on ebay for under $15. a couple for under $10.

click here

They are convenient from a backup, reload, upgrade of OS; etc. but not absolutely necessary.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

I understand, and I might actually go this route. (When I used the words cost-probitive, what I meant was feeling "ripped-off" only because a card is "rare". I can find 64 Gig memory cards for $9.99, so 512mb I figure should be $5 max! :) )

The problem is you're establishing a false equivalency between something that's widely available and something that is, as you mention, more rare.

You want to feel ripped off? Try buying a Jupiter 8 in good to great condition. That'll align your measuring stick right quick. ;)

in case you decide to go the card route there are several on ebay for under $15. a couple for under $10.

click here

They are convenient from a backup, reload, upgrade of OS; etc. but not absolutely necessary.

Thank you - I'm in Canada, so I copied your search criteria into ebay.ca. You're correct, they are not too expensive there. They all looked like they were type "M" cards?

I've never even come close to filling up any of my 64 meg xD cards, much less the 128 or 256. Never saw a 512 advertised, though they were supposedly made. My "everything" backups typically run about 150k in size (this will very depending on just how much everything is for the individual), single patches typically run 1 to 3k each.

All three of mine are setup the same way, so that the same patch number or setup number is in effect on all, and any modifications to the factory sounds exist on all.

If you overwrite a factory sound, it is actually just covered up by the overwrite. Deleting the overwrite patch brings back the factory sound.

Probably the biggest change I've made in factory sounds is in the KB3 section. I have a couple of Leslie effects (some I made, others contributed by others) that have replaced all of the original effects. I also like every single Hammond/Leslie patch to start out with slow Leslie and no vibrato/chorus. Then I can change them as needed.

Orchestral sounds are one major reason that Kurzweil pretty much owns the Broadway type show market. Many of the shows have professional Kurzweil setups available on a rental basis that were done by very skilled people (and usually need skilled players also).

Dave Weiser on this forum formerly worked with Kurzweil, and designed many of the PC3 patches. He is now running his own business, which includes dealing in Kurzweils. Very nice guy.

Hipogrito on this forum currently is one of Kurzweil's software design people - also nice guy.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Adding to the noise: I went quite happily without a memory card for 2 years, then recently got a couple thrown in when I bought a second (less fragile) one for playing out. The only advantage the memory card has for me is as an emergency backup that I can leave in the PC3, on the very- very- off chance that a power glitch erases the PC3's memory (which happened to me once).

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Just a quick thank you and shout-out to johnchop - he contacted me with an xD card he wasn't using, and offered to send it to me.

What a lovely gesture, and a reflection of the friendliness and helpfulness on this forum!

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Kurzweil PC3 (73 key) -

A bit OT, but that's one rare specimen... :poke:

To get back to your question, I don't see the need for a memory card. If I remember well, I used to backup my PC3 directly on my Surface tablet (has a USB port).

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments