Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New PC Computer Build

Markyboard

Put together this set of components for upgrading my PC. It's been exactly 6 years since my last build and some of my soft-synths are pushing the limits at the lower buffer settings. Curious what you fellow PC builders think. Keeping my original mid-level graphics card (not a gamer) and I'm also not into the water cooling thing as I use really quiet fans. Also pulling/reusing my RME PCI-e audio interface, Seasonic Pwr Supply, at least 1 SATA SSD for back-up and maybe the CD/DVD read/writer (if I need it).

1) Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series)

2) ASUS ROG Maximus X Code LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

3) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GVR

4) Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM

Fans

5) SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (for OS and Apps)

6) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (for Samples)

7) be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 ATX Full Tower Computer Chassis - Black

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't look up each part, but overall sounds pretty good. If you're using a full tower case, might as well put in the DVD writer, not like you're going to use that space for something else.

Maybe an eSATA connector for external backup device that can be disconnected when not in use (reboot required of course).

Needs a nice big high resolution monitor - I use 32" Samsung HDTV as monitor. My primary computer is a bit older, and was purchased refurbished, although I did make additions: HP Z220 with quad Xeon proc, 32GB RAM, 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD, 1TB Hitachi hard drive for backup, CD/DVD/BluRay burner, AMD Firepro V3900 graphics, all in a small form factor case.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Good points. I do a full back up maybe once per year on a drive that's then stored in a safe deposit box. Additionally I prefer a dedicated internal drive for more frequent back-up. I found external drives more trouble than they're worth and I would not back up regularly.

I forgot to mention I'm keeping my 32" Benq 4k monitor which replaced my dying Samsung last year. And yes on the tower case- used to be you had all these storage drives to fill up those bays. I think you're right - might as well install the CD/DVD reader/writer.

My Amazon cart looks like this and with case would come in around $1,000:

- Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)

- Corsair VS Series VS550 550 W Active PFC 80 PLUS White Certified Power Supply (CP-9020171-NA)

- Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor

- ASUS PRIME Z370-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z370 ATX Motherboard with USB 3.1

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - White

Wondering why I can't get by with onboard graphics. If I'm not gaming, why not? Want a mid-size tower that can fit as many SSDs and HDDs as possible. I'm flexible here, just knowing I'll need three to four. I've never run more than 16GB RAM. I think I can get by with 500GB for the main drive if I keep photos/docs/downloads and all large sample library installations other drives. The 500GB is $199 while the 1TB is more like $450. Am unsure about CPU fan. Don't plan on overclocking, but then again maybe.

Busch.

That all looks good Bill. My MB choice was driven by needing many USB ports - but maybe an expensive solution. I do prefer to avoid hubs or an extra PCI card. I occasionally watch movies or videos and I already have the graphics card as my current MB doesn't have and HDMI or other display port. But I see no reason you can't run directly off the MB.

I think you still need a CPU fan. Intel processors used to come with one albeit a cheapo one. Look at Noctua for quiet operation. Same with whatever case you get. It will have fans built in or you'll have to add them. Even with no OC this stuff runs hot.

Mark, do you prefer the air over water cooling?

I do, I'm currently OCing my 3.2 G CPU at 4Ghz. Any more and I get occasional boot up problems. My temps are fine with fans only (all Noctua) . Quiet operation is very important to me and I don't want to hear any strange gurgling sounds. Even if it's dead silent I think water cooling is marketed towards the gamers trying to squeeze out every last Hertz. Not my thing.

Just a tip in case you use Multis in Dual Live Mode Of Omnisphere.

Make sure your NVMe M.2 has the STEAM Folder.

Otherwise Keyscape/Trillian would give you yellow progress bars.

SSDs are great are streamimg but loading samples like an Akai MPC, or old rackmounted Roland/EMU/Akai samplers is pure brute speed.

If you use just Omnisphere and its synths only SSDs are fine.

But using OS+Apps and STEAM on NVMe M.2s is a lifesaver if youre a busy board player.

Nice fast build though.

Should keep you happy.

Intel already discontinued the i7 6700 Series.

Theyre dumping chips way too fast for any maturity in their product line.

May as well get the fastest latest models.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Not an Omnisphere user but thanks anyway.

Btw Bill Busch- I think it was Markay who posted that some of these softsynths offload some processing power to the Graphics card. Not sure which ones or any details but maybe fancy GPUs have some added benefit for music applications? :idk

Put together this set of components for upgrading my PC. It's been exactly 6

years since my last build and some of my soft-synths are pushing the limits

at the lower buffer settings. Curious what you fellow PC builders think.

Keeping my original mid-level graphics card (not a gamer) and I'm also not

into the water cooling thing as I use really quiet fans. Also pulling/reusing

my RME PCI-e audio interface, Seasonic Pwr Supply,

Might be better off with a new PSU the caps usually start to go first, then you'll

start running into system issues that could end up damaging the board and

other components. Don't know the average MTBF is but it's been 6 years so...

4) Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
A lot of DAW builders are using Bequiet fans, coolers and some are using their PSUs

as well, I've read reports of their fans being more pleasant sounding than Noctuas,

I'm happy with my NH-D15 in my current rig but don't think Noctua is the

only game in town any more.

If you're plan on using Windows 10 you might want to consider keeping a good

working install on a separate partition and an updatable install as well.

Considering MSs update scheme, disabling your NIC on your working partition

would serve you well to keep MS out of your life and the NIC tends to deter

Latency performance as well.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I first read about utilising the Graphics card CPU, if suitable, in the Melda MVintage Rotary manual.

Whether that is fall back option with slower CPU's IDK. I have never bothered with a gamer level graphics card figuring a fast CPU should provide all the resources required.

I have always used Samsung Pro SSD's. Our corporate supplier recommends them instead of EVO, at roughly a $50 premium, and I accept their recommendation. Given this supplier has provided virtually a lifetime warranty, not in writing but that is the way it has worked, we always accept their recommendations. We have been running SSD's in a high write and read corporate environment 24/7/365 for 5 years now and have yet to have one fail.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Also an 850 Pro user.

Higher binned parts and a 10 year warranty.

EVOs are fine but for live performers the extra dough is always worth it.

Thanks for Windows 10 tip.

Still happy with 7s and an 8.1 but plan to go to 10 as my interface finally gave us new drivers for Windows.

I was on xp64 drivers.

Always hate fixing things that already work though.

Have fun with the build.

Been using PCS for 15 years and never once crashed except an outdoor 110 degree gig.

Hardware got me through until I rebuilt the airflow design for hot Midwest crappy summer weather....100% humidity there, forgot all about that.

Much more satisfying than hardware only.

Gotta gave both for my gigs.

I'll ask a developer about potential use of a GPU by a soft synth if the opportunity arises. I didn't mean to imply that one should consider their graphics card based on it potential to help soft synths. Just sharing some of your worldly knowledge Mark :wave:

Thanks Throbert - may consider additional be quiet fans after some experience with their case and included fans.

For the 1 TB SSD there's about a 30% additional cost with the Pro vs Evo. And the warranty is 5 yr vs 3. I struggled which way to go but figured the Evo was a safe bet for a sample drive where each memory cell is written to once. Also the Read Speed is on par with the Pro. Audio recording will be done on the Pro as part of the main OS and application drive. That's how I currently operate my SATA SSDs without any issues.

Worthwhile upgrade from the stock cooler, yes?

Busch.

I would think so. I just use the biggest one available since its compatible with the 1151 board and the price difference is negligible. I've been using the D14 for my current build which I believe is slightly smaller than the D15. It is extremely quiet and I haven't given it a second thought since installation 6 years ago.

My hesitation with overclocking is I don't want to be second-guessing every time I have a glitch or crash. With the i7-8700, I'll have 3x the processing of my current Mac Pro which seems like plenty. And if the i9s get down into the same price/core as the i7s, then maybe an upgrade if I need it.

Busch.

I'm going to start with no OC, see how Diva does as well as a couple of my slightly problematic soft synths at the lowest ASIO buffer setting (32). If I hear any audio pops then I'll start to bump the CPU up to see if OC helps. OC does help Diva with my current build. I don't mess with all the fine tuning crap that the ASUS BIOS gives you access to; just the CPU speed and memory speed. I back it off until there are absolutely no crashes. But if everything is performing well at base frequency then no need to OC. Running cooler is always better in the long run.

You will want to check your temps over the first couple of weeks. I don't think about after that it unless I'm making some change. I do keep the temp alarms enabled however.

One small suggestion - if you do start to do a bit of OC, it is worthwhile to adjust the VCORE parameters manually. The newer Asus ROG boards (I just built one with a Maximus Hero VII) provide more voltages than are necessary in their built in 4.2/4/5/6 overclocks.

As you said, less is more.

Just did a quick Google on VCORE. Will definitely keep this in mind when i get to the point of OC. Just realizing all the stuff I have to do before I even get close to evaluating the audio performance. One thing in my quick read; it seems that this voltage is tied to Speed Stepping. Sounds like an Olympic sport and also something I always disable as I don't want the CPU throttling for audio applications. But thanks Michael - I'll definitely research this more.

If you OC, it's best to have a CPU that is unleashed, or you're bound to get problems, unless it's for fun or gaming of course. Getting a startup problem or a blue screen is a no-go completely for me, I'd like a machine to never err, unless it's a software error. OC-ing an officially over-clockable CPU for instance within XMP parameter ranges is cool, other than that, I have doubts.

Ive a gigabyte motherboard with a socket that holds an Intel i5 4670k. Its the best I could afford at he time. The i7 was over double the price. I guess this is an 1150 socket. This machine runs OSX (Logic and ProTools) only. Integrated graphics is fine. Whats the fastest processor I can stick in this motherboard right now? Would it crunch audio significantly better than what I have now?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The only upgrade I've ever done following initial build is adding more memory. I buy fairly high end stuff with the hope of it serving me longer without issues. I've been satisfied thus far as this is the 3rd build (for me) in about 9 years. And my wife will get my current PC with a 6 core 3930 CPU with at least 1 SSDs and 32G RAM - way overkill for what she does. Changing CPUs may or may not present compatibility issues with your other components. Do your research carefully.

Ive a gigabyte motherboard with a socket that holds an Intel i5 4670k. Its the best I could afford at he time. The i7 was over double the price. I guess this is an 1150 socket. This machine runs OSX (Logic and ProTools) only. Integrated graphics is fine. Whats the fastest processor I can stick in this motherboard right now? Would it crunch audio significantly better than what I have now?
Probably an Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, but I don't think Intel produces

them any more so they're running from about $350 to $450 and you can find them on

ebay for about $250. Specs

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Cool - and thanks! Just got Newegg to kick back the $20 difference. Will put it towards my wife's first Theremin lesson. :roll:

I use the NH-D15S

I don't know if you hsve decided not to use the big one or not but I can attest to much quieter and cooler on a number of the builds I've done with the big coolers.

This one also is asymmetrical in shape. That pulls it away from the video card and sets it so the fan blows from the front to the back - inside the case.

Avoid the AXi line of Corsair PSU's also.

Probably an Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, but I don't think Intel produces

them any more so they're running from about $350 to $450 and you can find them on

ebay for about $250. Specs

I bought 4 x i7 4790k CPUs last Spring.

2 x spares and 2 x separate live rigs.

Im good for years to come as all other parts are stocked.

You can buy the i7 4790k at most MicroCenter stores but only walk in only.

There might be some still. I paid 250 each.

The newer CPUs are nice but single core performance has not really improved much.

And I do not want Windows 10 yet.

I also use the i7 5775C CPU that would fit your Gigabyte Mobo.

Those are pricier but the best audio CPU Ihave.

Its got 128MB Cache for GFX.

Use a discrete GFX Card then that Cache becomes usable for your audio.

It really kicks ass for synths locked to a single core, and can take all polyphony you throw at it.

If you can find one new for under 400 its worth every penny.

Archived