Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody Get Sucked into American Idol?

My daughter loves watching the show, which is basically a karaoke event. Then one night, as I was doing the dishes, there was this guy named George Huff singing "Lean on Me" and I thought he was pretty cool. A few shows later, he did a killer version of Elton John's "Take me to the Pilot."

And now my confession: I dialled in and voted for him. Really. I'm not making this up.

Has anyone else voted in American Idol? Maybe we can form a support group.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over here we have that show as well, it's named "Idols" over here. I happen to know some audio professionals are watching :thu:

Nothing wrong with that is there?

The jury are a bunch of clowns though.

Stirring shit up since 1968

I've seen this edition a couple times.

You're right, Craig. Huff is the man! What a gruff, gravelly, deeply soulful voice he has! I definitely enjoy hearing that man sing. Glad you voted for him (I've never actually picked up the phone and voted).

I hope he wins, but there are a couple women with strong, soulful voices still in the competition, too.

(What's with the other two men? :confused::freak: )

Originally posted by bassix:

Over here we have that show as well, it's named "Idols" over here.

I thought the concept started in Europe; the UK, to be exact. No?

Originally posted by bassix:

The jury are a bunch of clowns though.

So is the American jury. Simon is the most honest asshole I've ever seen. :P

I love this show. I haven't actually voted though. George Huff has a great classic soulful voice. I thought it was interesting how much trouble the, uh, "honky cats" had singing Elton John songs. I know that sounds racist, but it seemed clear, the 4 black people were fantastic on these songs, but the others were atrocious. (First time I heard Elton John, I thought he was black :cool: .) How some of those people continue to get votes is beyond me.

Yep, I watch the show because a young female who recorded an album at my place in 1999 is now one of the last four contestants.

The format is very well thought about, but in fact it's nothing more than the talent hunts that happened since the early sixties everywhere and where me and my band took part in, in order to get famous. :D It's only a million times bigger.

The problem is indeed the jury here, but the public votes for the best candidate and that's a problem also. Because, how many people can judge about how difficult the vocal part of a song is? And how great an achievement is?

A young lady who didn't win last year, got a very important award last week, so there are certainly huge talents in Idols.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by Anderton:

My daughter loves watching the show, which is basically a karaoke event. Then one night, as I was doing the dishes, there was this guy named George Huff singing "Lean on Me" and I thought he was pretty cool. A few shows later, he did a killer version of Elton John's "Take me to the Pilot."

And now my confession: I dialled in and voted for him. Really. I'm not making this up.

Has anyone else voted in American Idol? Maybe we can form a support group.

my daughter has corrupted me as well,i will send you some pink floyd clips, craig,

When I had time, I watched the first season faithfully. By far the most entertaining is the very beginning (the tryouts) and the end (the "top" talent). The middle "eliminations" don't appeal to me. Overall, though, I like the show and hope it has continued existence.

I like my soul being all kinds of messed up. Some "reality" TV is way better than most "fake" TV anyway.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I like the description of Simon being the "most honest asshole." I think his comments are almost always right on.

And yeah, there are definitely a few talented singers on there, but I really have to wonder about some of the others. Now, what would be really interesting is if they had to write their own material...

pop idol is an excellent idea, the one happy label guy came up with. around here, the last 5 become sort of celebrity for a year and sales loads of album.

In england they have an even better thing calld fame academy - which is a combination of pop idol, realty show - they even get to write their and perform their own songs - last time I watched (about two years ago) the show album pre sold 250k units. Damn smart label people. :D

here in Belgium from all the people , only the last 3 had some kind of talnet.

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

OK I'll admit it...AI is my favorite show. :D

I haven't voted yet this season because Tuesday nights are Lurker nights over at Phil O'Keefe's place. My wife tapes it and we both stay up to watch it when I get home - too late to vote.

The first year we would tape it so we could fast-forward through the bad ones (and the stupid promo-video pieces). This year we realized we were watching those parts too. Yikes.

Simon rocks. Wish I'd had someone like that kicking my ass when I was 20. Would have done me some good.

Gotta say that the white guys are pretty bad...but it's the young girl vote that's going to keep them in for a few more weeks (ouch!).

I predict it will come down to Phantasia (sp?) and George. They're both naturals. Still, all of those kids are going to have a blast for the next year or so doing the tour and all that. Horrible contracts, I understand, but I guess that's the trade-off for virtual instant temporary stardom.

I read recently that the only four songs to debut in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 (since 1998) were associated with AI (two Clay Aiken singles, a Ruben single and one with the whole 2003 group).

I'm such a geek. :D

Oh it's just all way commercial, for sure, but as I get older I get more fascinated about that than I do frustrated. :)

Serenity Now!

this house is empty now...

I like the show with a few exceptions.

1. The overall level of talent is steadily decreasing since season 1. We've got at least 3 finalists who simply cannot sing.

2. I don't appreciate how they intentionally embarrass people who they know shouldn't even be on the show. During the "auditions" they let certain terrible performers through the cattle calls just so we can laugh at them later. William Hung? Now how (why) did he make it past the first audition (in the stadium with thousands) to perform for the three judges on TV? Cruel. Although he made a music video.

3. It's a popularity contest. When Tamira Gray got booted early in season 1 it became clear that something was terribly wrong. Even though the eventual winner grew to become a good performer, at the time Ms. Gray was head and shoulders the best and most polished performer on the show. We need a panel of 5 pro judges to pick the winner. How much of the Tamira Gray "vote off" was just young girls (the primary AI voting audience) jealousy of her talent and looks? It could NOT have been based on her singing ability.

Finally (and this will piss some off) there is (I think) a racial element to the show. This is my opinion so don't freak out! No young, good-looking, fit, handsome black guy will ever win AI. Why? I won't expound. Let's just say that Rueben is no threat to go out and have wild sex parties with beautiful teenage caucasion girls... :) If he looked like R. Kelly that gay cabaret singer guy would have won the show!

Wait...now that I think of it...he did! ;)

Lawrence

I don't watch American Idol on a regular basis. I find it sad at times. I wonder sometimes if some of the relatives and friends try to convey the truth to some of the singers before they compete. Like "Your're terrible" or "Your not even close to a singer." or even "You sound like you have potential but get some lessons first." If the friends and family would do that BEFORE they go to audition that would save all of us some real uncomfortable moments.

On an up note, my friends' daughter was on Canadian Idol last year and is back again this year. CTV is giving her the V.I.P. status, flying her to Ottawa etc. My friend wants me to record her. I could use some great vocals on my CD (while at the same time maintaining some control over the project).

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Originally posted by LawrenceF:

I like the show with a few exceptions.

1. The overall level of talent is steadily decreasing since season 1. We've got at least 3 finalists who simply cannot sing.

2. I don't appreciate how they intentionally embarrass people who they know shouldn't even be on the show. During the "auditions" they let certain terrible performers through the cattle calls just so we can laugh at them later. William Hung? Now how (why) did he make it past the first audition (in the stadium with thousands) to perform for the three judges on TV? Cruel. Although he made a music video.

3. It's a popularity contest. When Tamira Gray got booted early in season 1 it became clear that something was terribly wrong. Even though the eventual winner grew to become a good performer, at the time Ms. Gray was head and shoulders the best and most polished performer on the show. We need a panel of 5 pro judges to pick the winner.

Finally (and this will piss some off) there is (I think) a racial element to the show. This is my opinion so don't freak out! No young, good-looking, fit, handsome black guy will ever win AI. Why? I won't expound. Let's just say that Rueben is no threat to go out and have wild sex parties with teenage caucasion girls... :) If he looked like R. Kelly that gay cabaret singer guy would have won the show!

Wait...now that I think of it...he did! ;)

Lawrence

i agree with you on a couple of points. first, however, i have to disagree that the talent is getting worse. just because you have a couple white guys still in at this point who can't sing doesn't mean that the talent pool as a whole is worse. look at last season at this point, and you will still see the majority of contestants in the final 10 could not sing well either.

i agree with your second point as well. but keep in mind, the vast majority of the contestants in the cattle call simply cannot sing. to get the 32 contestants (or however many go to hollywood), they've got to let some get by....now i do think the way they pit them against each other in groups does eliminate some talented people, when less talented people are allowed to slip through the cracks. however, they did bring most of the talented people who got cut in that segment back as "wild cards."

but it is a popularity contest....that's what the dial-in voting is all about.

as far as the racial element goes, i have to say, i think if an extremely talented young black man who could sing his ass off was on the show, they'd probably do very well!

Originally posted by techristian:

If the friends and family would do that BEFORE they go to audition that would save all of us some real uncomfortable moments.

/URL]

Well that's my point. The early auditions are not really auditions. They'r part audition and part "let's find someone goofy to put on TV to laugh at". Only when they face the three judges does it become a "real" audition. When it goes to the TV audience the "talent contest" is over and the "popularity contest" begins.

When you let William Hung through to face Randy, Paula and Simon it's for one purpose only. So people who have no singing talent (like me) can feel better about themselves while they laugh about how bad and without a clue he is. I'd much prefer to only see persons with moderate to very good abilities.

I wonder what aspiring singer (with moderate talent) got cut so William could amuse us? If you could sing a little how would it make you feel to be sitting at home watching William Hung on national TV after you've been cut. Some people rise to the moment. Someone lost an opportunity to attempt that. What crap.

Lawrence

Finally (and this will piss some off) there is (I think) a racial element to the show. This is my opinion so don't freak out! No young, good-looking, fit, handsome black guy will ever win AI. Why? I won't expound. Let's just say that Rueben is no threat to go out and have wild sex parties with beautiful teenage caucasion girls... If he looked like R. Kelly that gay cabaret singer guy would have won the show!
:eek: And I thought what I said was racist!

I don't really agree though. Are you saying George Huff is not handsome? :) He's as handsome and as threatening as any of the white guys. Seems beauty in general is kind of "out". A lot of hot chicks have been dumped. I thought that Leah girl had a lot of potential, and was hot, seemed like money in the bank to me.

Besides that, what about Justin? He (apparently) is handsome, and he's black and white, which probably bothers some dim people, plus, they paired him up with Kelly, a mixed marriage of sorts.

Anyway, regarding your other points, it is just a silly entertainment show. I think maybe you're taking it too seriously.

I love the show. I also like late night infomercials, which are pretty much the same thing.

However, none of the contestants in this or any round are on the level of a successful recording artist on a major label. They are famous for being stars on AI and so people buy their records, but without the infomercial, they would be in bars and cruise lines (like that one, painfully cruise-line-singer with the hair).

George Huff is a great case in point. I would hire him to sing backups and demos, never to front a CD. His Mr. Happy facial expression seems forced, he's not all that interesting, and while his voice is good by AI standards, there are thousands just as good waiting tables in NYC, and hundreds better.

Ruben's voice is embarrassing. No doubt he thanks God for Antares pitch correction every night. Anyone check out the NAACP awards? Embarrassing.

Clay Aiken, a watered-down Liberace for a new generation ("you mean that nice young man is gay???!!!). Simon was right, he's caberet, not pop star.

Kelly is so not a pop star it isn't even funny, and I have a bad cold and am in a bitchy mood.

But I do LOVE the show.

:)

Dooby Dooby Doo

<>

But I think the point is that all of these people aren't yet fully-formed, and part of the question is who can grow into something. The reason I found George interesting is because of an offhand comment he made about wanting to be a standup comedian. His voice is good by AI standards, yes, but I also think that in the hands of a good producer, he could grow as an overall entertainer, not just a vocalist...not exactly Will Smith, but you get my drift.

There probably are hundreds better, but for whatever reason, he's up there in front of a zillion people doing his thing. Basically, I think the dude has talent that could go beyond the confines of being on AI.

As to Simon Crowell, I think he could run a record company a lot better than some of the people at the top right now. Clearly he works from gut feelings, and that's what's missing in our focus-group-oriented A&R process.

Originally posted by m2:

:eek: And I thought what I said was racist!

I don't really agree though. Are you saying George Huff is not handsome? :) He's as handsome and as threatening as any of the white guys....

I think maybe you're taking it too seriously.

Perhaps... :) As far as George Huff goes he may (and probably should) win. He's a goofy sort of fun loving guy who looks older than he is. I like him and a lot of viewers do also. He's a "real" person and not an act. But... he's not the kind of black man young white teenage girls go crazy over. They like the bad boy.

He's not the smooth "chick magnet / potential playboy / sex symbol" I was talking about when I made the statement. Neither was Ruben. That's actually good for them in this case. ;)

P.S. It IS just a TV show though. :)

Lawrence

Archived