Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth you bought on a whim, but never used very much

Synthoid

For me, that would be the Alesis Ion. I wasn't able to find one in any of the local music stores so I took a chance and ordered it online. Sure looked great when I took it out of the box, but after a few weeks of playing and tweaking, we just didn't bond.

Even with three oscillators, I thought it was a bit thin-sounding. Of course the lack of any decent on-board effects didn't help either. Plus, there was a bit of a glitch with the Setup mode as well. I ended up calling Alesis tech support but they weren't able to help.

Eeesh. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Smith Prophet '08. I quickly realised I didn't have the time to create sounds like I did when I was a teenager.

Nowadays I tend to go for instruments that already have good sounds, that require minimal tweaking.

Roland RD700NX

Nord Electro 5HP

Korg Kronos2 61

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Korg Wavestation. I'm glad I bought it and it got used on a couple of tracks, but my intent was to learn to program it. Never found the time. Nice action, though. It has a new home. Hi, Jim!

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Two leap to mind.

Alesis Micron. Thought it would be fun to kick around, but ultimately the sound didn't meet my expectations. It was rough and a bit gnarly, which can be great, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Fantom XR. From a feature/dollar perspective, I thought it was going to be just the thing to expand my sound palette. Had a couple of expansion cards, too. It was a bit of a pain to use, even with the computer editor, and I finally had to admit that there's something about Roland's sonic signature that just doesn't sit with me. :idk

I make software noises.

Korg Wavestation. I'm glad I bought it and it got used on a couple of tracks, but my intent was to learn to program it.

It's a bear to program. I have the software version which is much easier, but still quite a challenge.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I never really gigged the Alessis Vortex keytar I bought at a steal a few years back, just used it to pose with in a couple band promo photos. I should reconsider and find an excuse to work it in for a song in one of my current bands just for fun.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Oberheim OB-3 drawbar expander. I always wanted something that said "Oberheim" on it and always wanted a drawbar module so I whim'd out like a mofo and snagged one on ebay. I was a stunned puppy when I fired it up. It sounded like lukewarm ass. I was so disappointed, I packaged it back up and listed it for sale the same day.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

ESQ1. Super cheap on craigslist. Think Ive played it twice. Mostly because i have a solid rig and not much more space. It has a cool sound though. Ill break it out again. But after a while of menu/slider programming I miss prophet6 immediecy.

Nord Electro 5D, Prophet 6, Moog Little Phatty (2) Tempest, Drumtraks, RX5...

And limited playing ability and experience!

Not a synth but maybe appropriate to mention - I bought a Kurz ExpressionMate ribbon controller and used it maybe four or five times over ~20 years before it was lost in my house fire. I never used the ribbon, just the brain, and only as a breath control to midi interface! It was an impulse purchase; I was so sure I'd be using it since I was very much into programming and all things midi. Not this time I guess. A shame really even today it stands out with powerful midi mangling features that very much expand the live player's toolbox. I wish there were 25 hours in the day, I might get another one someday if one can be found.

kurzweil-expressionmate-ribbon.jpg

Alesis Fusion. Heavy steel chassis - good. Squirrelly spongy push buttons and rickety data wheel - bad.

Complicated UI - bad. Mediocre presets - bad. Better presets from external developer Hollow Sun - good.

I just could never connect with it. Good news is that I bought it on blow out for $500 and got a free set of Alesis monitor speakers. Sold the Fusion for $500 and kept the monitors. Win.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

OB Expander that I could literally spend hours with...pretty much modular gear patched in software...

I sold it for a good reason though, to fund the purchase of my 1st acoustic piano that I owned. I think I paid $2400 for it and sold it for $2000 3-4 years later to a studio in Manhattan. Every studio 'had' to' have one in that era (80's), that's what the studio owner who bought it told me with a reluctant look on his face.

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Moog Source when my 1st Minimoog D got stolen and I needed a replacement quickly because the Mini´s were just out of production.

I never connected to the Source´s keyboard action, I hated the membrane-switches and "one-knob for all parameters" handling and more.

Sold it when the 1st taker came and offered enough cash.

From that point I monitored the used market until I´ve found 2 other Mini´s in great condition which I bought in a heartbeat.

Might not count as a synth per sé, but the VOCE DMI 64 mk2 rackmount module was probably the most unused piece of gear I ever bought.

A.C.

M-Audio Venom - Didn't do my homework before I bought it and didn't realize how many functions couldn't be edited from the control matrix and needed the software editor.

Korg Minilogue - Had knobs/switches for almost all functions unlike the Venom, but just didn't really bond with it. I'm sure if I had more skills at analog knob twisting I could have gotten closer to what I wanted, but I still didn't quite hear what I wanted from the raw waveforms.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Depends on what you classify as "whim" and how much you consider using "very much".

Closest thing to a whim was finding a Moog Opus 3 in a pawn shop years ago and buying it on the spot. I played it a lot at home for a while but never gigged with it or used it on anything really, just fun, and it's been in storage for quite a long while now. I have a buyer for it once I get around to pulling it from storage and cleaning it up.

Next closest would be my CX-3 which I bought just to have ANY kind of clonewheel, since I had never had one and wanted to learn a bit more about proper organ playing. I played it a bit at home until I got my Kronos, then off to storage it went.

I suppose I could maybe include the Casio VZ-8M in the list. I was in college and a few guys in my Fraternity bought them because I think American Musical Supply was blowing them out at a low price, so I bought one too. I did actually gig with it though so don't know if it qualifies - but I only ever used maybe a couple sounds out of it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Next closest would be my CX-3 which I bought just to have ANY kind of clonewheel, since I had never had one and wanted to learn a bit more about proper organ playing. I played it a bit at home until I got my Kronos, then off to storage it went.

I did this as well. Ran the Kronos through the Vent II I had for the CX-3 and didn't touch the CX-3 for a while. Then I had a short stint playing in two bands so I dug out the CX-3, ran it through a Tall & Fat and the Vent, and for some reason it's so much more satisfying than playing organ on the Kronos. I'm assuming it's due to the real drawbars, the waterfall keys, the perc controls, etc., but not really sure.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

... a Kurz ExpressionMate ribbon controller ...

Well,- I want one in good condition for an acceptable price and usable in europe (230V).

A.C.

Not sure about used inventory in Europe but they work with any AC adapter that puts out 12 volts at 400ma, center positive. Not sure of the barrel sizes though.