Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old School Magic ..... i.e. Mr. Magic

Delaware Dave

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jazz world's Mustang Sally.

Which is not to take anything away from Grover. But boy was that song played a lot on gigs I did back then. And over 50% of the time the second ending was either butchered or not played at all! No danger of that happening with the guys on this particular version though!

I'm sure Ralph McDonald was very happy to get the mailbox money from this song (although it probably paled in comparison to what he did with "Just the Two Of Us" and "Where Is the Love"). I used to see Gadd, Eric Gale & Tee at a club called Mikell's in NYC, with the band Stuff that's where I got a big part of my music ed when it came to playing a groove. Great feel here, and Gadd is still killing it of course. Thanks for the post!

Which is not to take anything away from Grover. But boy was that song played a lot on gigs I did back then. And over 50% of the time the second ending was either butchered or not played at all! No danger of that happening with the guys on this particular version though!

I'm sure Ralph McDonald was very happy to get the mailbox money from this song (although it probably paled in comparison to what he did with "Just the Two Of Us" and "Where Is the Love"). I used to see Gadd, Eric Gale & Tee at a club called Mikell's in NYC, with the band Stuff that's where I got a big part of my music ed when it came to playing a groove. Great feel here, and Gadd is still killing it of course. Thanks for the post!

You sound a tad highbrow... Mustang Sally and Mr Magic... there my friend.

Since I was a kid, my appreciation of music has been continually widening.

When young, it was Tchaikovsky and Trane..

But as a result of playing with a wide circle of musicians including Grover and John Tropea ( he played with Stuff ) ... I have softened in my hard edged opinions about what is hip and what is not.

40 years ago I was in a band that opened for BB King.. and kick me in the ass.. but I had no appreciation for the fact.

Same with opening for Tower of Power and EWF... I had no appreciation ... And Randy Brecker who was in the band I as in.. in sharp contrast to me... was paying close attention to those two funk monster bands.

I have taken forever, but I have grown...

My conclusions are these

Mustang Sally is a great song ... I will play it anytime.. and as always try to make it happen... a dance song, right?

Grover was a great musician... I recall Sonny Rollins and He doing a double bill at a concert in NYC.. I forgot where. But that is high praise for Grover..

I loved Grover the day I heard him play,, not 5 feet from my face.. he blew my mind.

And btw, Grover played about 10 instruments.. including B3, elec bass, "all the woodwinds" ( I cannot recall precisely which ones)

I recall the jazz snobs ( Jazz players with reputations, but I will not mention their names, because I respect them as well ! ) in Philly giving Grover a hard time... so forgive my defensiveness when it comes to Grover.. He has my undiminished respect.

I never learned the second ending to Mr Magic,,, a fellow butcher here.

Most if not all jazz musicians ought to turn their clocks back about 50 -75 years back, and revisit the Blues.. The 3 chord kind.

jazz used to be music of the dance... and it lacks that. Though Corey Henry is a breath of fresh air.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

"Mr. Magic" is definitely a "must know" tune among "funk" musicians. Of course, we reserve the right to butcher it too. ;)

Grover Washington Jr.'s music laid the blueprint for Smooth Jazz which allowed a whole lot of musicians to eat very well. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Never heard Grover do that live before. I prefer this to the original studio version.

I think it's a great tune, even though it has been played to the death by many lesser musicians. But same thing can be said about countless other tunes, like All blues, Chameleon, Red Clay, the Chicken, etc.

You sound a tad highbrow... Mustang Sally and Mr Magic... there my friend.

No tee, I think it's you that sounds a tad highbrow with the story of your personal hejira from jazz & classical snob to appreciator of Mustang Sally. The stinky bar band playing Mustang Sally (or Mister Magic) is almost an internet meme for cryin out loud. Doesn't mean they're bad songs or the guys that originated them can't play. Just having a little fun here. And I think Grover is a great player too. I saw that concert with Sonny, it was at Town Hall. Grover played soprano the whole show, a wise choice I think.

Mustang Sally is a great song ... I will play it anytime.. and as always try to make it happen... a dance song, right?

Well my lowbrow friend I'm right there with you. Actually I play funk in a band that opens for Tower probably 10x/year for the last five years - some of those times in your own home town.

Allow me. And BTW, I just listened closely to the video at the top of this thread: those guys screw this up! Maybe they enjoyed themselves a little too much on a break? :) [edit - that's the first one at 2:18; they get it right at 4:46 and 13:28! And let me add... Anthony Jackson, 'yall!]

magic.jpg

And which "home town", would that be bein'? Fort Lee, Union City, WNY, RIdgefield Park, Lyndhurst. Rutherford.. etc etc.. ( OT, but when I lived at Fort Lee, I roomed with a great talent, and I wish I knew how he was doing. trombonist ( Speak Like a Child ) Peter Philips, switched to piano at a late age.. a genius.. have you encountered him?)

Fact is, we are ( were ) both high brow. :poke:

It's a psychological, musical stage. Then we wised up. edit, ok, I will speak for myself- We had some of our heroes as examples.

I still recall .. well sort of recall... a Chick Corea article in Downbeat.. where he eludes to playing for a broader audience.

Then we had the great George Benson, and Freddie with CTI stuff, and Herbie's various forays, and even Horace tried it, and what was Lee Morgan up to with Sidewinder!?

Brecker Bros? Miles?. Even Cannonball ...

But then I think of Keith, and Sir Roland ( he once comically referred to Fusion as "Confusion") who did not go that way.

And finally John Coltrane... who did as much changing of his musical approach as Miles.. almost.. except he went in the OPPOSITE direction; losing fans.

Every one of these people are my heroes.

Thank you for the heads up on the infamous 2nd ending!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

He is from around here, so is Gadd. Last time I so Grover was in 1995 with Patty LaBelle.

Yup, two icons, Grover and Gadd, but am I mistaken.. was the incomparable Sal Nistico

from that neck of the woods,, Northern New York.. Rochester or Syracuse?

Sal Nistico seems to have slipped into obscurity.

Rochester. It was a music festival they used to have and from 1997 till the early 2000's we has some major heavy weights in all kinds of music but after awhile it was jazz, R&B, and Reggae acts that came through. Her show was great though.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Allow me. And BTW, I just listened closely to the video at the top of this thread: those guys screw this up! Maybe they enjoyed themselves a little too much on a break? :) [edit - that's the first one at 2:18; they get it right at 4:46 and 13:28! And let me add... Anthony Jackson, 'yall!]

magic.jpg

Funny, I always added one more hit to the 2nd version, on the 3 and... But I just went back to this, the original and other versions and I'm not sure where I got it from. Of course it works, but it's not "needed"...

Many of us learned how to work together as a rhythm section from these players. There was a period when the NY school ruled things. Check Out Tom Scott's "NY Connection" and "Apple Juice" recordings for great examples of these guys in action. But not often Anthony Jackson... usually the full Stuff band.

Regards,

Jerry

magic.jpg

Funny, I always added one more hit to the 2nd version, on the 3 and... But I just went back to this, the original and other versions and I'm not sure where I got it from. Of course it works, but it's not "needed"...

Many of us learned how to work together as a rhythm section from these players. There was a period when the NY school ruled things. Check Out Tom Scott's "NY Connection" and "Apple Juice" recordings for great examples of these guys in action. But not often Anthony Jackson... usually the full Stuff band.

Regards,

Jerry

May I share a story a guitar player shared with me?

The best rhythm guitar player in my experience, John Tropea, told me

He, Will Lee, Bernard Purdie ( I forgot if there was a pianist... maybe Richard Tee.. but don't quote me ) had been hired by Tom Scott.. John said, when the song commenced Tom looked over his shoulder .. I guess in shocked but amazed elation, at what those super bad asses were laying down.

I loved that story. John was sort of inferring that that East coast rhythm section was even more than the LA contingent. Now he did not literally say that.. but that was my inference. The LA guys are bad ass too.. But Purdie with Will Lee and Tropea.. , specifically for intensity of groove; what can I say.

My absolute favorite Grover tune ever is Make Me A Memory. He is so soulful. I love the wistful way he phrases the verses behind the beat and then gets closer to the beat on the Choruses . I played it myself so many times that I forgot and just realized he plays alto and not soprano on it

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

My absolute favorite Grover tune ever is Make Me A Memory. He is so soulful. I love the wistful way he phrases the verses behind the beat and then gets closer to the beat on the Choruses . I played it myself so many times that I forgot and just realized he plays alto and not soprano on it

[video:youtube]

And the most unexpected chord you will ever hear in this style of music... Almost at the end of the song... Grover brilliantly chooses a C major 7 ( Db maj 7/ C major 7 ) where I would never expect it.

Soooo hip.

Worthy of analysis?

I was very lucky to see Stuff at Mikell's many times. Starting from the time they began playing there when the cover charge was $0. Seeing those guys live and up close was just an incredible experience. I was in the club when Joe Cocker sat in I believe this was just prior to their tour together. I was a "bass owner" in those days; Gordon Edwards and Anthony were the two guys I tried to emulate as much as possible. I still own a bass, but now I get to play it on stage in front of people anything I manage to play that sounds halfway decent is because of those guys. Thanks to your reminding me I'm gonna check out some of that Tom Scott stuff, I'm pretty sure it's on youtube. I think there's also a Richard Tee show at the Bottom Line online, but with slightly different personel Tropea instead of Cornell iirc. When I'm in the nursing home, I won't be able to say I saw Trane or 60s Miles, but I will proudly say I saw the cream of the crop funk/r&b groovers of the day if I can still remember anything, of course!

Archived