Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah hoo found some property at last

well after getting very discouraged and thinking my idea's were a pipe dream...

i was looking for a house with some large outbuilding (read Barn, Pole Barn) and at least 2 acres. an large barn for the business and room for the studio as well as room for my wifes candle biz also..

looks like we found some property.

2 story old farm house with basement, 3 bedroom, 2 bath (second bath is only a tub no shower)

big living room, formal (sorta) dining, eat in kichen. and a porch.

30 x 48 garage with insulation and heating and 250 Amp power. extremely clean and spacious.

perfect for my biz after a little remodeling and a dust free tech room.

40x60 barn with full concrete basement

can ya guess what goes in here!!!!

this thing has new metal sheet siding on the old wood frame and a new roof. talk about room for a studio. minumum ceiling is like 12' up to like 20'

this is 2 time more space than i could ever use!

yet a 3rd outbuilding about 400sq ft all block with new roof perfect for my wifes gift shop and candles.

yet a 4th outbuilding a fairly good sized shed for gardening.

and if that wasnt enough the old outhouse is still standing.

to top it off i am 10 minutes from the grocery store and fast food. (and walmart)

asking price $183,000

yup no missing zero.

finally something i can afford.

the house will need alot of work although i can move right in.

i will need to put 2 additions on to it to make it perfect.

to get everything perfect (sans the studio) 20-30K

its a good thing i spent 20 yrs in contruction..

so i need some ideas on how much the studio will cost.

not gear just getting it recording ready EG bass traps insulating the walls, raised drum floors Iso booth ETC.

do i even need to raise the drums considering this is a wood floor over a basement?

Scott

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what kind of tax laws concerning PROPERTY TAXES are you pun uh haveing to deal with. in norf cal-a-lakky you don't ever really OWN any property.. you rent it. you don't pay the property tax and the gubmint takes yo' lan' right aways from ye' like that( snaps fingers)

is the land higround or lowland?

and las' but not lease uh what kind of monthly you gotta slam down on a hunnerd and eighty three large?

ahh,Oy!take a digi-pic for us homebodies.. . a thousand words and all that rot wot,wot!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Awesome Scott! Best of luck with that and the other things you've got going on ;) . Do you plan on doing all the studio design and work on your own? How about some dimension breakdowns for tracking room, control room, ISO's, etc. That may give a better idea to focus on costs. I'd suggest posting this question in the Studio Business forum as well. BTW, I'm about to install the RME. Got it today and I'm off to the studio. Good luck!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

thanks guys,

some pics although not great

http://www.adkproaudio.com/frontporch.jpeg

http://www.adkproaudio.com/drivetobarn.jpeg

hehehe new home of ADK

yeah Weasel you better start working that advertising magic mojo for me so i can aford this haciaenda..

and then the studio...

ok Studio i really dont know.

my plan is to turn into a Pro Studio for hire/rent

one of my customers turned friend, a local guy had approached me with opening a studio together awhile back.

with that much space i envision a full size recording room with 2 Iso booths. like 20x30 then a control room thats about 15x15.

and a reception area of the same size or so.

and of course a bathroom.

bearing in mind i can do most of this work myself.

and still have all my construction tools, including compressors, nail guns, trim guns, more saws than i care to mention.

i am so excited i almost peed my pants.

Hey Arell... my payments will be about $1100 or less. 9k down we are offering $150k and expect a return offer of $160k

then i will be broke and have to figure out where the remodeling money is coming from..

however i wont be paying rent on a house and rent on a store just morgage for one property i own.

Scott

Congrats on your new home.I wish I lived in Kentucky!! The market is going crazy in Vegas. This past week I just bought a 3200 sq ft home on a 6000 sq ft lot and had to pay 500k. It's getting like LA over here. It's going to take some getting use to living on such a small lot, but I can't wait to move. I'm closing 4/30.

Congrats back at ya!

but ouch 500K

sheesh how do you guys afford that.

we were approved up to 250K thats $1800 a month

your talking twice that.

man i am debt free, my wife owes a few K on a CC

and a leased van for her Biz. there is no way i could afford 500K.

i must be in the wrong biz.

but i am overjoyed to be getting this fixer upper!

Scott

Hey,hey cool pics!

They's some great shots and My fave has the SILO carcass in the background.

what aboot cleaning it op and refurbishing it and maybe turning it into a tower of some sort. a cool tower or YET ANOTHER shed or somethink.

what is the silo's state of disrepair? one to ten ten being TEAR IT DOWN and BURY IT

I see the destructive VINES all over the hulk.

Would you be able to fix the silo do you suppose?

Monthly payments give me gass. ~oot~ Oy!.

hey thanks for the digi pics. very cool spread you lucky dawg.. Now some inside BEFOIRE and AFFER PICs how 'bout it? c'mon back? over?

any unusual features aboot the hoose?

Over!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by Cereal:

that is one sweet looking property. absolutely rocks.

maybe someday i'll cash in my los angeles chips and live in that old barn of yours.

we'll need a good mower for that lawn of ours

funny you should mention that!

i am thinking of turning the other 1/2 of the barn in to an apt for muscians who will want to stay for a weekend or so...

and your John Deer mower comes with the house!

i expect you to mow it once a week :-)

Arell... i think that old Silo is too cool, my wife is like "we have to tear it down"

i am like no way it adds charm. hopefully its good enough to stay..

Scott

Arell... i think that old Silo is too cool, my wife is like "we have to tear it down"

i am like no way it adds charm. hopefully its good enough to stay..

Actually, you're close enough to Chess Studios to take a tour to see how it works, what you have there is a for real 'acoustic' reverb plate my friend - vintage style ! :thu:

OK the building to the Left is the 8 car garage.

where i will move my Biz into. about 1500Sq ft.

kinda small for us but at least i wont need to use any of it for storage. its a little bigger than what we are in now and have to use alot of it for storage. several skids of cases talk alot of room.

the building to the right is the 40 x 60 dairy barn,(i think its longer than that) where i will put the studio and apt.

sheesh i hope i get this thing..

Scott

(Mr. Haney voice):

Weh-ell, welcome to the country neighbor! Ah reckon Ah maht be of some service to ya. For a nominal fee, Ah can sell you whatever you need to make your house a great little home. :D

From one country bumpkin to another, welcome!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Looks like a lot of work to me. I used to own a couple of acres and it became a fulltime job just keeping the grass cut. But I would like to own a few acres of woods.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by Tedster:

(Mr. Haney voice):

Weh-ell, welcome to the country neighbor! Ah reckon Ah maht be of some service to ya. For a nominal fee, Ah can sell you whatever you need to make your house a great little home. :D

From one country bumpkin to another, welcome!

Actually Ted, i think it was you who spurred me to do this. didnt you just do the same thing?

I used to own a couple of acres and it became a fulltime job just keeping the grass cut.
hey it comes with an riding lown mower and the old lady says 2 hours to cut the grass.

right now with the push lawn mower it takes me almost that long. and i dont get to sit on my butt.

Scott

Hey man,

Congratulations!!! Whereabouts in KY are you? Maybe we could hook have a beer or a bourbon, or a pound of bacon or something. Looks like your on your way to good times and sounds. Ditto on turning the silo into a reverb chamber, that would be awesome.

Jason

Hey, Scott, those pictures look gorgeous! Congratulations on your new property. I hope it all works out for you.

I used to own a couple of acres and it became a fulltime job just keeping the grass cut.
hey it comes with an riding lown mower and the old lady says 2 hours to cut the grass.

right now with the push lawn mower it takes me almost that long. and i dont get to sit on my butt.

Scott[/QB]

uh-huh...that's the same story I got, then the riding lawnmower started breaking down, and breaking down, and breaking down, and we'd run out of gas, the have to rake the leaves, paint this, paint that, fix the roof leak here, broken window there, buy tools to do this and do that... I became a full-time maintenance man with no salary. Good luck...have you seen the movie, "The Money Pit" ??

Living' in the shadow,

Hey DJwayne,

i look forward to the remodeling!

as contractor who specialized in remodeling of this nature i know exactly what i am in for.

including expecting surprizes..

the more i dwell on it the bigger my plans get.

i am now up to placing an entire new basement wall structure around the entire building with 20' editions to the sides all 2 story and thinking about the front. (2000 sqft) the basement is part block part fieldstone and mortor eck... it really dont leak but is very damp.

hey i will be living here for the rest of my life so...

Scott

Originally posted by Jason Poff:

Hey man,

Congratulations!!! Whereabouts in KY are you? Maybe we could hook have a beer or a bourbon, or a pound of bacon or something. Looks like your on your way to good times and sounds. Ditto on turning the silo into a reverb chamber, that would be awesome.

Jason

i am in FLorence right now, be moving 30 minutes south! so your only 30-40 minutes away!!

the bacon or an NA beer sounds great.

scott

I have a solution for ye'. Goats. Goats eat grass. jus' chain 'em to a heavy block with a decent length of stout chain and anchor them on hilsides or anywhere and move them over when they eat their way around. you'll see it'll take little time for billy or silly or whatever yo name yours to eat himself a ring. then just move him over and give him a bucket of water. with a little care and patience you'll have a full time yard uh man kinda who'll work for fooda hahahaha!.

i had a goat for years.

Buy a baby goat or two. you'll be glad you did.

mine had a wooden leg.

yes my goat had a wooden leg. his back leg was a peg leg. see my goat kept the back lot cleaned and one day a snake tried to bite me and that goat stomped that snake to snakeburger. that was one goode goat. see and with a goat that good i did'nt want to eat him all at once.

so...

Goats. mini goats.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Looks like a nice find Scott, hope you get it.

As a long time country boy (who grew up in Chicago) all I have to say is "Welcome to the good life".

There is no problem you can run into in the country that remotely equals the grind of city life.

So you have to cut the grass.... big deal. In the country if you don't want to mow for 3 weeks no one give a shit. Just bale it. :D

Get out of the shower and walk to the mail box. Love that drip dry.

Need to pee.... go ahead. No one cares.

Want to ROCK OUT in your back yard? No one cares.

Ahhhh green acres is the place to be.

Originally posted by jcskid:

Hey DJwayne,

i look forward to the remodeling!

as contractor who specialized in remodeling of this nature i know exactly what i am in for.

including expecting surprizes..

the more i dwell on it the bigger my plans get.

i am now up to placing an entire new basement wall structure around the entire building with 20' editions to the sides all 2 story and thinking about the front. (2000 sqft) the basement is part block part fieldstone and mortor eck... it really dont leak but is very damp.

hey i will be living here for the rest of my life so...

Scott

Yes, as long as the money doesn't run out. I was planning on putting up additions, a second story, an out building/workshop/studio.. and then watched interest rates climb to 16% and all my earned commissions go right down the tubes with all my other plans. It was bad market timing that did me in. I got forced into selling it and was lucky just to break even.

Now because of my bad back, I wouldn't even consider a place like that. Way too much maintenance for me.

Hope you do better.

Living' in the shadow,

• 1 month later...

Yeah haw!

opps sorry i am in KY after all and moving to real KY now. Country here i come!!!

well its a done deal we move this weekend.

after delay after delay in closing!!

i finally have a new home and shortly a real studio.

Scott

Archived