Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss FS-7 Dual Footswitch - Can it be used with RD2000?

EVC

As in the subject. I am thinking of using it in the FC inputs to change program/scenes.

I was thinking of a DIY but the mechanics of it is practical and attractive.

FWIW I may consider making changes or adaptations. I have the impression this forum has some hackers (in the traditional sense) and maybe someone that did something similar even if not for RD2000 could give some advice.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your question pertaining to the compatibility of the FS-7 with the RD-2000, or the capabilites of the RD-2000 to respond as you want to pedal presses?

If the former, then yes, the FS-7 set to Momentary mode will work, using a standard 1/4" TS cable for each of the pedal connections to the FC1 and FC2 inputs. No "hacking" required.

If the latter, then yes, the RD-2000 allows you to assign Program Up/Program Down to pedals. Pertinent information can be found in the RD-2000 Parameter Guide.

Hi, Sven,

Thanks for the info. I was asking about compatibility, the up/down configuration I have already tried with a Casio sustain pedal.

I am a little concerned with voltage levels though. I measured the voltage of one of the FC ports and it was 3.2V (probably connected to a 3.3V rail). The pedal is powered by a 9V source. Is there some voltage limit or perhaps the output is open drain (collector)?

Do you have any idea of what is inside these pedals? I suppose there might be some electronics, to debounce the switches to avoid more than one pulse. When I tried the Casio pedal, I had sometimes the program advanced more than one step when pressing or advancing also when released, probably because of switch bounce. I was (in fact I am still am) thinking of making one myself but the mechanics of FS-7 seems to be good.

You will not need the adapter with the FS-7 for your purpose; it's only used to power the LEDs and to support the "latch" feature. You are using it as a dual momentary pedal, so no power required.

The pedal itself only acts as a simple open/close circuit. Should be zero 'bounce' happening. FYI, Casio pedals are wired "normally open" while Yamaha and Roland pedals are "normally closed" so that explains the problem you were having with the Casio pedal.

Archived