Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keyboard music influenced you?

14 hours ago, analogika said:

Santana. Tom Coster and Chester Thompson. 
“Zulu” off the Moonflower album is one reason I own a CP70. 

Also, Jean Michel Jarre. In a big way. 

Oh, and Billy Joel — the first "pop" music I learned to play. 
Ray Charles
Medeski Martin & Wood, a decade later.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

early early on- from 5-15 :

Dick Contino on Accordion in the late 50's

Nat King Cole on piano (watched a lot of his TV show in the late 50's in rerun w/ my folks, I was mystified by Nat's mirror behind the piano keys - what a conundrum to figure out!)   

Errol Garner, - piano ( mostly early TV)

Felix Cavaliere, B3 (All the Rascals albums, my bro/I had all of them)

Al Kooper, B3 (Live Adventures of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield Live in SF was the 1st LP I ever bought with my own $)

Alan Price, Combo Organ (from the Animals w /Eric Burdon, my brother's album that I ruined)

Classical Music (mostly listening, did not study classical piano until my 20's but studied Accordion and played piano/organ 2nd to Accordion initially by ear, there was a piano in the house in the shared basement so I was jumping on that and adjusting  to it at about 12.)

2nds:

Ray Charles

European keyboard music or transcriptions ( Waltzs, Jigs, Polkas, Traditional, Popular  etc. ) - I liked all that stuff as a kid pre Beatles!   I'll be 69 in a few months ...  

And of course more modern Rock, Blues and Jazz as time moved on...  I feel the real catalysts for me musically in terms of my  musical make up were forged somewhere between the ages of 5 to  8  in a purely musical drive sense ...so I quoted the early stuff as honestly as possible.  Trying to keep that little boy in me alive has actually gotten easier with time and regular tending to thankfully.... funny about that stuff in life, the good stuff,  - shit  happens there to .. if you keep yourself buoyant enough and have the luxury of the time to dig in a bit ...    

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122