Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is www needed anymore with browsers?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salodious is right. Actually the DNS (domain name) server, which is not the same as the site's file server and may actually be provided by another company.

Most sites are set up for either but some sites (like Soundclick to my continual chagrin) insist on the www.

But anyway.

One thing that's handy in later versions of IE on the PC is the ability to type in just the 'core' of the name and hit control-enter and IE will add on the "www." at the beginning and the ".com" at the end. (Of course, that's no help at sites with other suffixes or whose names don't include a "www."

Browsers will typically make that kind of attempt: you can see it with Lynx, if you type in a single word, you can see it trying to find the website, first by appending ".com" and then ".net" and going through the cycle until it finds a site or doesn't. Still, I find that some websites just won't show up unless I type the "www" in front. Creamware.de is one, IIRC.

Originally posted by theblue1:

One thing that's handy in later versions of IE on the PC is the ability to type in just the 'core' of the name and hit control-enter and IE will add on the "www." at the beginning and the ".com" at the end. (Of course, that's no help at sites with other suffixes or whose names don't include a "www."

Mac browsers have been doing that for many many years.

Netscape on the PC may have done it too, can't remember..

I was also very glad when MS finally added that improvement to IE,

I would always do it anyway and be really annoyed when it didn't work ;)

Archived