Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using a small, inexpensive personal PA?

jeffincltnc

I am playing an acoustic type gig that is going into a Bose L1 system.

I play this on a single keyboard and not looking to carry a bunch of stuff I don't need, but I don't really have a monitor for this weekly Wednesday night gig.

It's not high volume and pretty mellow....

I was thinking about something like the following in the $100-200 range where I can here myself better and pass through to the mixer.

Kustom PA50 personal monitor

Galaxy Audio Hotspot 7 personal monitor

Behringer Eurolive B205D

Mackie SRM150 PA

I realize there is stuff that sounds better and I own a nice set of QSCs and a Fender amp, etc. but I'm looking for cheap, pass through, little to know schlep factor of something of this size and budget.

Any reviews here?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bose L1 runs the mix with vocals, keys and acoustic guitar and occasionally someone else sitting in. Hand drums and cajone is not mic'd.

It sounds fine for this gig, but I can't hear myself as well as I'd like to in the mix and I'm looking for a hotspot type of solution so I'm not tempted to push my volume.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I use the B205D for all my gigging, it's a pretty good unit for the price, and allows pass-through-to-PA (although I never do that; I always send direct to PA from my boards using DI's, and I send a line to my B205D from the DI auxiliary out).

Although most of my gigs are not low volume "coffehouse" type situations... it does the job nicely there, as well as in full-band-with-PA environments. You just want to be careful not to boost your spot monitor too high or else it will bleed into the general house sound you're trying to create (I get that complaint sometimes, especially if spot-monitor sound is bouncing off a nearby wall and reflecting sound back to audience).

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I would use a B208D rather than B205D unless you need the B205D's form factor or other functionality. B205D is a single 5.25" full-range speaker, freq resp 105 Hz to 10 kHz. B208D is a two-way system, 8" plus tweeter, freq resp 65 Hz to 20 kHz. Max SPL is about the same. But it weighs near 15 lbs instead of 7 lbs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Using another pass thru/amp means others wont hear Themselves now.

IEMs.

An ancient Micro Cue from Alesis or many other pass through speakerless options.

I like the sound of the Midas M32 and RCF Array so much I use NO stage monitor.

IEMs only.

The FOH gives me more signal when theres no stage volume.

Much better sound quality than balancing between 2 sources.

Dont need an expensive set. JH Audio vented IEMs are cheaper than the TOTL choices.

Plus you can adjust the amount of signal to match room ambience.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The Mackie will do what you want. As long as you don't pump a lot of bass into it the sound will be relatively clean.

But, I've done years of these kind of gigs and have a different approach. I use a pair of earbuds. Not IEMs, just the kind that sit in the cup of your ears. If I'm just playing a single keyboard I'll plug the buds into the headphone output and send the output to the mains. If I'm also singing, then I'll bring a mini mixer, plug my keys and mic into it, take the output to the mains and use the mixer's headphone jack for the buds. The buds work just like IEMs for bands that are low in volume. This way you can hear everybody else with very little attenuation, but then dial in your own volume.

Is the Mackie SRM150 worth $50 more than the Behringer Eurolive B205D for any advantage on build quality, reliability, sound quality, or is Behringer basically a knockoff of the SRM150 that's an equivalent product for less?

Roland cm-30.

It's a little bit over 200$ but it's a good choice.

I have two.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Is the Mackie SRM150 worth $50 more than the Behringer Eurolive B205D for any advantage on build quality, reliability, sound quality, or is Behringer basically a knockoff of the SRM150 that's an equivalent product for less?

I own the Mackie and have had only a brief experience with the Behringer. They are very similar. I went with the Mackie mostly due to brand loyalty. Their stuff has always worked for me, and their customer service (for the rare time Ive needed them) has been pretty good.

I bought a SRM150 about 10 years ago for a practice amp, but started using it regularly on smaller gigs about 5 years ago. I like it because it's been abused but has held up well, it is small enough to fit in my gig-bag, plenty loud enough as a personal monitor, and helps keep stage volumes down.

Archived