Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-5 vs. B3

Delaware Dave

For that pedal, I guess you'd have to shut off all internal effects, Chorus, Vibrato, etc., in the XK-series, as my recollection is that all of that is stereo (or maybe it's just the Leslie that is stereo)?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For that pedal, I guess you'd have to shut off all internal effects, Chorus, Vibrato, etc., in the XK-series, as my recollection is that all of that is stereo (or maybe it's just the Leslie that is stereo)?
C/V exists in mono, so the Leslie sim creates the stereo out. A pre-sim effects loop could be useful in a clonewheel.

According to a mid-April FB posting by Greg Lounsberry, he is developing (has developed?) a stereo version of the T&F that has two types of outputs. One has the standard T&F gain structure. The other has a reduced gain that overdrives less than the standard T&F and is designed to be used post sim. He called the second type the A10.

Ah, good to know. I'll look at the available ins/outs on my XK-1c this weekend and see if the Lounsberry could benefit it in a way that is practical for studio recordings.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 year later...
In a real console, the contacts fire in random order, due entirely to manufacturing tolerance differences and flex and bend of each contact over the years. Each key typically fires contacts in different order.

Shouldn't they always trigger the particular drawbar tones in the same order, as indicated in this diagram?

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/a-100/fig-16.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When Mate wrote that two years ago I went to my B3 and tried about a dozen different keys on both manuals. There was no randomness on any of the keys. If all 9 drawbars are out the firing order was 1' drawbar first and 16' drawbar last on every key I tested.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

In a real console, the contacts fire in random order, due entirely to manufacturing tolerance differences and flex and bend of each contact over the years. Each key typically fires contacts in different order.

Shouldn't they always trigger the particular drawbar tones in the same order, as indicated in this diagram?

That diagram doesn't indicate any particular order.

All contacts get moved at the same time by the actuator, which is just a phenolic bar with slots in it. Depending on the random slight bends on each contact and the random variations of height of the busbar in its channel, contacts for a particular key will fire in a different order than another key, although for any one particular key, they will mostly fire in the same order every time, until somebody bounces a baseball off the keys.

Moe

---

When Mate wrote that two years ago I went to my B3 and tried about a dozen different keys on both manuals. There was no randomness on any of the keys. If all 9 drawbars are out the firing order was 1' drawbar first and 16' drawbar last on every key I tested.

Worn manuals tend to display more randomness than ones in good shape, so maybe you've got a good'un!

Moe

---

That diagram doesn't indicate any particular order.

All contacts get moved at the same time by the actuator

Thanks for the clarification. I found some images, and now it all makes sense. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I bought my XK3 sight unseen because of one feature: tonewheel generator calibration. That meant I could calibrate the "tonewheels" in the XK3 to sound like my favorite Hammond... and damn did it succeed. The OP's YT video demonstrates how well that works. No regrets paying $2500 new for that XK3.

A few years ago I bought a used XK3c, which is a notch up from the XK3. What the 'c has over the non-c is better tube preamp, even subtle tube distortion can go farther to shape the sound than EQ or calibration. There's some other features on the 'c that get it really close to the vintage item. The 'c also plays nicer with the lower manual. I keep both now, I gig the XK3c with lower manual where the Hammond is an crucial element needing both manuals, and the XK3 without lower manual for those rock gigs where the authenticity isn't as crucial and I need a compact setup. If I didn't already have both I would spring for the XK5.

Check out

of two gospel organ artists for an education on drawbar techniques and ripping licks. Some of the most soulful Hammond playing I have heard. Damn...

It's a disgrace that the stuffy Hammond Organ Company of the 1960s/70s didn't exploit players like this for trade shows.

I bought my XK3 sight unseen because of one feature: tonewheel generator calibration.

That's a really cool feature, especially if you have a real Hammond you love that you want to match. Unfortunately, my own is way out of playing condition at the moment. But if you want this feature, (in hardware), Hammond and Mojo/Gemini have it. Anything else?

Something I only discovered recently is how much lighter it is than its predecessor. The XK-3C was 45 lbs, the XK-5 is 34.6 lbs. To me, that's the difference between something I would absolutely never gig with, and something which I might sometimes consider.

I would gig with an XK-5 even at 45 pounds. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the internal leslie; compared to everything else on the board, it is the weakest link. But I think they have nailed everything, including the C/V. And I'd drag it around even at 45 pounds. Realistically I'd use a foot pedal to control the internal leslie, so whether I'm plugging in a sustain type pedal into a switch jack or a Vent into an output jack it doesn't really make a difference. I just can't justify the price of the unit so I'll stick to the Gemini.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I would gig with an XK-5 even at 45 pounds.

Well it's certainly a lot lighter than any of the Hammonds in your sig. ;-) But a board that heavy is just not for me. It's probably pushing 60 lbs in its case, and I have stairs to deal with besides... I suspect my cardiologist would nix it. ;-)

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the internal leslie; compared to everything else on the board, it is the weakest link. But I think they have nailed everything, including the C/V.

It's always something, but at least Leslie is easily fixed externally. I liked the original Numa Organ better than most clonewheels, but I have to admit, its C3 chorus is nauseating. As it happens, I just don't need to use C/V... maybe because my "real" Hammond for many years was an old C that didn't have C/V on it! To me, key click is more important, and that's an example of something the Numa did much better than the SK1 (the most recent Hammond model I've played). Like I said, always something.

Realistically I'd use a foot pedal to control the internal leslie, so whether I'm plugging in a sustain type pedal into a switch jack or a Vent into an output jack it doesn't really make a difference.
Footswitch for internal Leslie is one extra connection. Vent is four extra connections minimum (i.e. for mono)... in, out, AC into the unit, AC into the wall. But yeah, it sure sounds good.