Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Baby Upright

jeffincltnc

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome sound. think I'll give it a shot, but probably like all their other offerings, I'm betting I'll be underwhelmed playing it on my Electro 3.....don't know why that is, but it happens to me every time.....
SW action? I never found the pianos to be expressively playable on my E3 SW. Triggering from a weighted action was better as you'd expect, and surprisingly, the Electro 5 SW seems more piano-friendly than the E3 SW was. One other factor was that the E3 did not have the Long Release option, and I always felt the piano release seemed slightly "clipped" on the E3.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hot take:

I've loaded the XL sample into my Electro 5 HP and played it a little while (no EQ or FX). Here are my initial impressions:

1. It has the characteristics you'd expect of a small upright, including woody muffled bass range, but as has been increasingly true of Nord's piano samples as of late, you really get the feeling of being in a room playing the real deal. Doesn't sound electronic.

2. The far upper reaches really sing/cut in a way that many of the earlier samples don't. If you play rock piano in a group setting and do any Jerry Lee Lewis type stuff way up high, you will like this sample a lot, and the boxy bass probably won't be an issue. There is a slight metallic buzz in the notes from about B6-C8 (probably a characteristic of the original instrument?), but in a rock setting that might be an asset rather than a liability.

3. The sample it compares most directly to is the Bambino, which I liked for its character as well, but I think I like this one more, and it will likely replace the Bambino in my lineup. Both have a bit of the wide tuning typical of slightly beat up uprights, but to my ears the Baby has bit less of it than the Bambino, and it's not in the mid range so much. There's also a little less "room tone" inherent in the sample with the Baby (to my ears), so it's likely to be a little more flexible in terms of being able to get the sound you want.

Very initial impressions, but I'd say if you use the Petrof or the Bambino for rock stuff you should probably check this one out.

Awesome sound. think I'll give it a shot, but probably like all their other offerings, I'm betting I'll be underwhelmed playing it on my Electro 3.....don't know why that is, but it happens to me every time.....

Get a weighted controller with decent velocity curves. It'll make all the difference.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I did a quick test of the "L" in my Electro 3 this morning. I use a single EV zx-a1, so I am one of those mono guys. The right hand sounds seem clear, and they might cut well, but I won't know for sure until our next covers band rehearsal. The low end was weak sounding, I guess that's to be expected based on the source instrument. I kind of wish I could use a split and get the low end from Royal Grand and the high end from the Baby Upright.

I will do another test soon of the "XL" Baby Upright, and see if it sounds any different.

Regarding my single-amplifier setup, I used the left out. I tried with my Electro's "Mono" button on and off, and did not notice a difference.

Tried it (XL size). It's nice; certainly has lots of character. Felt too "metallic" for my tastes, especially at high velocities - like some of those AP patches you get in older boards that sound like EPs through bad speakers. Not bad by any means - just not my cup of tea.

Had to do some jiggery pokery to get it to fit, so will just substitute it with the XL Amber Upright again, which I love to pieces.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Oooh, lovely - early Christmas present from our friends in Sweden.

The Petrof (Black Upright) is still my go-to piano sound, so I will have to give this a try.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Oooh, lovely - early Christmas present from our friends in Sweden.

The Petrof (Black Upright) is still my go-to piano sound, so I will have to give this a try.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

James

x

Yeah, despite all the newer uprights, this has remained my favorite. Such a great vibe.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

All I can say is -- it's nice to have choices. I find myself slowly rotating through different pianos depending on band material, amplification equipment, other instruments in the band, etc. A handful of go-to's, the rest are optional.

My current band has just taken the plunge on IEMs, forcing yet another re-evaluation of pianos ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm going to upload it today to try it out. I use the Black Upright and then always have a 2nd "grandmom's piano" type tone as well, so this might be the one for that role. I forget which one I'm using right now, it might be the Bambino.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Get a weighted controller with decent velocity curves. It'll make all the difference.

Yeah....it's a bit of a drag because I LOVE using my little Electro for single keyboard one off gigs. When I do, I use several different Rhodes sounds and organ of course. Thing is, I actually dig playing the Rhodes sounds on the E3's keyboard. Wish I could connect with one of the AP's in the same way....

Archived