Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy birthday, Tedster!

Well my songs are finally mastered for good. But my mix for what I wanted to be the first song didn't turn out so hot. So I've decided to change the order of the songs, burying what was to be the first song later in the CD.

If I'm lucky/persistent enough so that a few record company executives give me a few minutes of their time should I put the poppiest sounding song first? I have this one absolutely silly song either makes people laugh or aggravates them. It's definitely an attention-getter.

I think I answered my own question! :D

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bunny.:

How are you planning to get your songs into the hands of a record company exec? Usually, that requires the assistance of an entertainment lawyer or an agent. Do you have an agent?

Hey Bunny. Persistence! I have a couple of specific leads but it might take 100 leads before someone really likes it. I really believe in the work I've done so it's a lot easier on this project to ask someone to have a listen.

So as for my earlier dilemma I think I'm gonna go with a song called "The Supermodel" first. It's really fast and loud in the beginning. The attention getting song is just too out of character to go first (thanks Rog-O). And I'm probly gonna dump the song that was gonna be first all together. I'll re-record it and use it for the next CD.

Hey dude, one other thing to think about regarding using Supermodel as the first song: even though it starts out pretty high-energy, it has that long intro section and takes almost a minute before the singing starts. That kinda breaks one of the cardinal hit-making rules: "get to the friggin' chorus already!" I'm afraid people who aren't interested in guitar or bass or drums or whatever might just shut it off if they don't hear some singing pretty quickly. For better or worse, the average music listener tends to focus in on the vocal and I'd hate to see anyone pass the whole CD over just because there's a long instrumental break to kick it off. I dunno, I'm really just trying to play devil's advocate here; trying to help you think of everything before you turn it loose...
None more black.

Originally posted by rog951:

Hey dude, one other thing to think about regarding using Supermodel as the first song: even though it starts out pretty high-energy, it has that long intro section and takes almost a minute before the singing starts. ...

Yeah, don't I know it! But what's the alternative? I'll have some time tonight/tomorrow and make a final decision.

The advantages of The Supermodel are that's it's high-energy and interesting subject-matter. And I'm really happy with the sound of it. The bad is it's long and the intro takes at least a minute.

Archived