Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeking forum protocol feedback

dsetto

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: I do not set policy. Just commenting...

Sometimes I think we worry too much about getting "off topic." It seems to me that natural conversations sometimes vector off in unexpected directions, and that that is a good thing.

(My apologies if I just hijacked your thread. :poke: )

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Im seeing two issues in your thread. The more specific question you asked regarding why your post about latency in another thread was considered off-topic, and the more general issue regarding forum protocol. Regarding the latter, I do agree, as Tom mentioned, that conversations sometimes go off in different directions, which can be beneficial. I have not read the thread you referenced, but if a discussion naturally flows in a new direction, it can be less distracting. If I think of something more tangential, I generally try to wait until a discussion has sort of run its course, and then post my comment.

Overall, I think this place does a good job of respecting the integrity of a forum topic, yet self-policing more impulsive posts. Of course, judgement as to what is considered too far off-topic will always be an individual difference variable, so occasional discussions around forum protocol can provide valuable guiding structures.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Since I started that thread let me first apologize if I came off sounding harsh in one of my replies. But to stay on topic with this thread I think it's similar to using a Mac for a specific purpose where it quickly devolves into a mac vs PC thing.; sort of OT, but maybe kind of not really?

I really wanted to just talk about the capability for a soft synth to sound like its intended hardware counterpart. That's what the link to Uhe's post was all about. IMO the interface, reliability for live use, immediacy etc has been beaten to death. I think I let my supposed not caring about this shit get the best of me.

Again - sorry about that.

My take:

1) I didn't see you as being off topic.

2) It doesn't matter to me if something "has been covered before." If it's relevant to the current discussion, bring it.

3) I have said before and will reiterate...I'm with Tom Williams, it just ain't natural for two or more humans to stay rigidly on one particular thing. Real people having real conversations do drift a bit one way or another. Sometimes more than a bit. Taken to its logical extreme, any thought, no matter how minutely off the subject "Is the sky blue?" such as "It sometimes turns green before a tornado," or "Not at the moment, because it's night where I am," would require an independent thread.

Yeah...thread Nazis...they're a pain sometimes.

I wonder how that sort of person approaches music. Are they that rigid when performing? Do they gravitate to classical, where they stick precisely to what's written on the page? Do they abhor improvisational jazz? Are they controlling and hard to get along with in person? Inquiring minds want to know.

One thing's for sure: In their minds, they're right. They will insist on it. They will have a rationalization for their positions and they will not likely relax in their desire to control the conversation.

Summation: Breathe, man. You're cool in my book.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

When a discussion is fairly open ended, I think there is more room for it to wander. The ones that bother me more is when somebody is looking for a suggestion or advice (needs help), and recommendations obviously ignore the OP's stated situation and/or needs.

To use an exaggerated off topic example:

OP: "I have a peanut allergy and am looking for recommended snacks I can carry in my bag"

Reply 1: "I eat salad when I need a snack because it's healthy"

Reply 2: "I eat PB&J sandwiches for a snack"

Reply 3: "Nothing beats sushi for a snack"

Reply 4: "Here's a link to the bag I use to carry my snacks..."

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I buy my snacks pre-packaged in the bag, so you don't have to worry about spending money on a fancy bag!

http://www.boiled-peanut-world.com/images/recipe-for-boiling-50-pounds-of-peanuts-21705639.jpg

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

PS - don't buy those Behringer bags, they are made with thread other manufacturers would reject. And they stole their bag design from Mackie.

When I first clicked on the title of the thread in question, I expected a more wide-ranging discussion of hardware vs software; but when I read the opening post and clicked on the link to the discussion it referenced, I realized what Mark had in mind.

Unfortunately, that link is now broken, making it much more difficult for members to deduce what's on and off topic. The opening postwithout a valid link to the discussion being referencedisn't clear enough by itself, and it's probably too late to edit it. People who dig deep enough can still figure it outas other posts make it clearbut how many people do that before adding their input?

I'm sure Mark didn't expect his link to become broken, and it's hard to fault people for responding to the title of the topic once the opening post that narrowed the focus became harder to understand. Probably best to chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding and move on.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

PS - don't buy those Behringer bags, they are made with thread other manufacturers would reject. And they stole their bag design from Mackie.

And the Behringer bags won't ship for another month...oh, wait, make that two months...the ship date changed even as I was typing.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

A lot of the things we talk about here already have been discussed. Some may remember that history and others may not. I like the idea of letting conversations evolve with many different perspectives, some well informed and others less so.

However, recently I too had an awkward situation when I started a thread about a hardware device and one of our longstanding, valuable forum members threw in a comment about a different hardware device. I felt as though broadening the thread to include this other hardware would dilute the thread and offered to join in a new thread about the second piece of hardware if he cared to start it. It felt awkward to say this, and yet I think we as a self-managing mature community need to able to discuss these kinds of issues in order to have productive conversations and good relationships. We can figure it out. :cheers:

dsetto, I applaud you for raising awareness on this topic. :thu:

Who are you to judge people who can't afford the original vintage bags?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Well, a whiny internet wind bag, of course!

Archived