Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else have autoradioitis?

The Real MC

Autoradioitis is that disorder where you have a radio in your brain that plays the same song on auto-repeat.

I have to avoid listening to jazz or prog close to bedtime, or I will have jazz improvisations running in my brain while I'm trying to sleep.

Yesterday I played piano with the jazz band at work for a Christmas party. During the night the Christmas music wouldn't stop playing in my head.

Argh!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Autoradioitis is that disorder where you have a radio in your brain that plays the same song on auto-repeat.

I have to avoid listening to jazz or prog close to bedtime, or I will have jazz improvisations running in my brain while I'm trying to sleep.

Yesterday I played piano with the jazz band at work for a Christmas party. During the night the Christmas music wouldn't stop playing in my head.

Argh!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Could be worse. Could be bubblegum music.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Yes, but it's usually songs from my (distant past) that for whatever reason just surface all the time.

By far and away, the one that does this the most is "What's On My Mind" by Kansas. I wouldn't list that as my favorite even on that album, oddly enough...

Second place is probably Goldilox by King's X.

Something in these tunes (and others) just "latched" somehow and they surface pretty regularly. Certainly neither one of these gets (or maybe ever had) radio time, so I don't know what spurs it.

For me it's always Song Of The Day, which usually pops up in the shower. There's no telling what it's going to be either. Yesterday it was Dylan's "My Back Pages". This morning I didn't have one - which is highly unusual - but after reading the reharm thread here this morning I've got "Milestones" firmly implanted in my brain and am no doubt driving my cow-orkers nuts wandering around whistling and humming it in the hallways.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Not sure if this dovetails with what sounds like an annoyance... cause i liked it when it happens to me! Its been years though.

Back when i was still dancing a lot, id go to drum circles, and being in the center of a circle youd really feel the drums in your body. On numerous occasions, when I got home, and falling asleep, id hear the drums in my head, itd be making up spontaneous rhythms. Loved it, felt like i was in auto compose mode.

To have an endless loop of Christmas songs, or the same song, of course thats annoying. But to have actual improvisations going on, thats kinda cool!

Kawai ES110 & ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Klipsch KMC 3 // Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

When I first saw the thread title, I was expecting some comment about radio in one's vehicle. Auto Radio itis.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Oh, trust me...I've got a rogue's gallery of tunes that, once implanted in my noggin, go 'round in circles like my old LPs.

Grey

You guys think you have problems... I get some unique looks when I (try to) whistle "On Reflection" from Gentle Giant's "Free Hand." Its a riveting piece of music probably not suited to a solo whistle act. :facepalm:

The internet has devolved into five giant websites,
  each filled with screenshots of the other four.
     ~  Cory Doctorow

Stop already! Now I've got three of 'em going. Some used to call them "Earworms", but I call them "Mindworms" cause they got past my ear and wouldn't leave my mind.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Should be a warning for threads like this. 25 or 6 to 4?
In the '70s I memorized something like 6 of the seven instrumental parts, as well as the vocals and harmonies. Now it's all coming back. And just before bedtime. :pop:

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

It usually happens to me when I come out from a reharsal, and I've played a song 4 or 5 times. Usually, the best cure for that is to listen to some Frak Zappa.

But in case someone fears to have Zappa music implanted in their brain after this medicine, I would advise to put some Robert Rich on before sleeping. It doesn't work for me, but I have heard it does on others. In fact, you can leave it on all night...

[video:youtube]

Archived