Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

still looking for a gift to inspire that potential gtr kid ?

d  halfnote

A few yrs back Jimi Sounds Like A Rainbow: A Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix, by Gary Golio was published.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-618-85279-6

This year we got Muddy:The Story of Blues Legend Muddy Waters By Michael Mahin.

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Muddy/Michael-Mahin/9781481443494

I know there's also Gus & Me by Keith Richards

http://www.keithrichards.com/news/gus-me-story-my-granddad-and-my-first-guitar-stores-today-57531

...but think that one might actually be a bit scary... :o

What else we got ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can give them all the books you want, but what we need is someplace to play. My grandpa played in a 4 piece band when he was in high school in the late 60's they had gigs almost every Friday and Saturday. High school dances and teen centers. I've been in a 4 piece band for 4 years and we are lucky to 2 or 3 gigs a month. Schools and rec/teen centers don't have live music anymore. I've been following this forum for a while now and in all the reason I've heard here and else where about why young people stop playing guitar no one has ever brought this up, where do we play. Playing in your living room will only keep your attention for a little while.
Jenny S.

@ Surfergirl, That would be a good topic for a thread for your age group. Back in high school 65 though 69 I had a 4 piece garage band and we played surf music by the Ventures. The drummer and I also surfed together. We got more gigs the better we got but never more than 2 a month +/-. We played mostly adult parties but did have some commercial gigs at bars as we got older (and the booze flowed freely even though we were only 16 to 19 years old LOL!

It's true there are fewer and fewer school and rec teen centers around these days for teen bands to play at. So are you playing music for your age group or for older adults? Either way, each of you could throw a party or two and play on the back deck(s). We played a ton of private parties...that's one place to get started that can be a lot of fun. Once you are all 21 more doors will open and your band will be more refined. There are a lot of church bands out there too if you are so inclined. We also played battle of the bands and grand openings. Check out your local bulletin boards at your local music store...Glad you brought this up! :thu:

ps. three of us old surf dudes still get together for our own private party times and all live in the same local area LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

d,nothing against your books, I may get the Hendrix and Richards ones as I will have plenty of time to read, and I'm a fan of both.

Larryz, some good advise, I will pass it along to my bandmates, I've already told them I'm leaving so they looking for a replacement. We can play classic or new Rock. What we play are mostly parties for rich mainlanders who own beach homes, so it's mostly classic rock. We will play surf for double the pay LOL!

i

Jenny S.

I think maybe it's called "paying dues". You know, gigging a friend's parties for free or other small gatherings for peanuts and building your chops. Keep at it and it'll eventually pay off. That's my guess anyway. I've played in a few bands that never really got too many gigs and most of the members really didn't seem too interested in considering it as a way of life, not even to keep going as a "side" job and drifted off.

And sure, I can see the "no place to play" deal, especially if the music your band plays isn't the kind played by DJs at those youth gatherings. It's hard for a rock band to get any attention from a roomful of kids who like to "groove" on electronica.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sooo...how much would occasional but regular rental of a small practice space cost? Like...a few hours every couple of weeks?

We have a place to practice, in the back room of a business. Anytime they are closed. We do some odd jobs to pay.

Mannnnnn..............

You just took me back SURFERGIRL. Back in that elusive period of American history known as "the day" ;) the keyboard player in a band I was in was the son of a guy who owned an electrical contracting business. Ran the business out of his house, but had an empty storefront on the main drag through town he used mostly for extra parts storage and tax purposes. We used to set up and practice in the front section just behind the big window facing the street. Folks walking by used to look in and watch us sometimes. Good times! :cool:

Whitefang

I was thinking in terms of renting space as a gift, actually.

Oh, Honolulu would probably be the closest place with something like that. We're just a little town of about 4000 at the end of the road, even the tourist stop before they get here. 3 surfboard makers, about 15 surf stores, but we have to go 20 miles to buy grocerys.

Jenny S.

Between $50-200, you can find all kinds of good bags with a decent shoulder strap and storage compartments that would serve for a good gig bag. Check out art supply & crafts stores, hardware shops, Wilson's Leather, luggage/travel stores, Army/Navy/military surplus places, sporting goods stores- especially in the fishing or camping sections- and the like.

I got a nifty one from an art supply store that had a good dozen or so compartments. I can carry all the batteries, slides, picks, cables, etc. I'd care to...if I gigged. :laugh:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

How about a good guitar stand? All I know is that I always wanted one when just starting out so I didn't have to stand it up against walls(where it might fall over) or keep taking it in and out of the canvas bag it came with. Would have been easier access if I had a stand. Matter of fact, I STILL don't have one. Should drop some HINTS, maybe? ;)

Whitefang

You can give them all the books you want, but what we need is someplace to play. My grandpa played in a 4 piece band when he was in high school in the late 60's they had gigs almost every Friday and Saturday. High school dances and teen centers. I've been in a 4 piece band for 4 years and we are lucky to 2 or 3 gigs a month. Schools and rec/teen centers don't have live music anymore. I've been following this forum for a while now and in all the reason I've heard here and else where about why young people stop playing guitar no one has ever brought this up, where do we play. Playing in your living room will only keep your attention for a little while.

@Surfergirl - A little OT, but wanted to respond; this is an issue for older players, as well, at least in my area, around Washington, D.C.. Lots of Musicians, with fewer places to play. Part of the new reality surrounding life as a Musician is being your own publicist, and, as often as not, creating your own events.

You need to find local events that may not seem like the most obvious venues for your band, store openings, neighborhood events like a holiday parade, art openings, adoption events at a local animal shelter. Having a band website helps, so people can see and hear what you do.

BTW, getting 2 or 3 gigs a month isn't bad, especially if you're drawing an audience. Reading what you said about where you're located, I can see where it would be hard to branch out, at least right in your own community. Maybe start looking into events further from home, if there are more opportunities. Best of luck!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@ Fang, I highly recommend the Hercules guitar stand. You can pick one up for $50 bucks for one guitar and MF. They are sturdy, last, and automatically lock your guitar headstock to the stand. They also make them for 2 or 3 guitars which cost a bit more. I have the 3 guitar stand and when my buddies and I get together for a jam, it's always full even if I only bring one guitar LOL! Haven't had any guitars falling over since I bought my Hercules. Two of my buds bought one after seeing how well made they are... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Sometime threads here take curious turns....

In this case it's that most suggestions have naught to do w/inspiring a youngster to play gtr but are aimed at one already learning to play or even at some level of achievement [e.g., a rehearsal space :freak: ].

d=halfnote

But, it's Christmas time and the thread is titled still looking for a gift to inspire? I agree that books can be very inspirational, but a budding guitar player, would probably appreciate anything like a strap, a stand, a guitar, an amp, a cord, case, T-shirt, hat, game, anything, as the kids are usually on a very limited budget. Instead of a book, I would find he or she some DVD lessons in the genre that interests them most... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

... a budding guitar player, would probably appreciate anything like a strap, a stand, a guitar, an amp, a cord, case, T-shirt, hat, game, anything, as the kids are usually on a very limited budget. Instead of a book, I would find he or she some DVD lessons in the genre that interests them most... :cool:

Fretlight guitars, there are some reasonably priced ones,

Again, those are all great ideas for a young player already making some progress but, as per the OP & my just prior post, the idea here is to appeal to the very young (those were all children's books that I listed) person who doesn't play yet but may have a musical interest.

Tryna steer them to the gtr....

d=halfnote

Well then, maybe an inexpensive but fairly good quality "starter" kit, like the one Larry mentioned. Anyone that had kids knows that without them mentioning any interest or desire, you ain't gonna "steer" them in ANY direction. But there's no reason to break your bank in trying. ;)

Whitefang

I sure hope more kids do pick up a guitar. I just attended my 5th grade grandson's 1st band debut and he's taking up the Sax. My 1st grade Granddaughter has been playing the violin for two years now. My other 4th grade Grandson is planning to take up the drums. Now I don't know who the hell am I going to leave all of my guitars to LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Larry don't worry. I played sax until start of 10th grade got in a spat with the band teacher and quit band and then started learning guitar. Maybe one of yours will decide guitar is something to explore later. Jim

Getting back OT, if they've already got an Electric, or A/E Guitar, get them a simple MFX with a built-in Looper & a Headphone Out; some of them even have built-in Drum Machines or Rhythm Tracks. They'll be able to jam along with themselves on the Looper, and the Headphone Out will let them practice anytime. Something like this . . .

Zoom G1Xon

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I can relate to d's frustration. But I hold that it's best( and advisable, based on experience) to make sure the kid indicated an interest in the guitar, but was still kind of on the fence.

And the kit Larry suggested was a good idea. Not too expensive for the folks to feel like they wasted a lot of money if the kid doesn't take interest regardless, and not too cheap looking to make the kid think you don't take his desire seriously. Really, when my folks got me that all plastic Emenee piece of crap I was so bummed I considered seriously to going back to the drums. Or simply just giving up on playing music at all.

Whitefang

Archived