Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's Ready For Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

elsongs

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems wrong to have them coming out so fast. Damn kids now! When I was young, we had to wait 3 years between our movies. And we walked uphill barefoot in the snow both ways to the theatre too, dagnabit.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Man I too find myself not as into it as I would I think I would be. I think I'm more hyped for Avengers Infinity War in May as they've done a colossal job of building up the story in 10 years. Star Wars seems puny by comparison which I just can't believe.

I'm sure once I see it I'll be blown away. I loved Rogue One and dug The Force Awakens.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

in Del Amo mall.

Is that the mall featured in Jackie Brown? Are those pink no purple no pink bags a real thing?

Yes, it's that same mall, but I don't know about those bags. Then again, I first came here long after that movie was shot.

Also, the mall underwent major remodeling a few years ago. The south wing hasn't changed much, but the food court and the north wing are totally different now.

Man I too find myself not as into it as I would I think I would be. I think I'm more hyped for Avengers Infinity War in May as they've done a colossal job of building up the story in 10 years. Star Wars seems puny by comparison which I just can't believe.

I'm sure once I see it I'll be blown away. I loved Rogue One and dug The Force Awakens.

For all its audiovisual (3D) splendor, TFA was essentially a rehash of A New Hope, including Death Star 3, with the surprisingly lame name of Starkiller Base (who ok'd that?!?). So it was quite predictable, plotwise.

Oh, and too many British accents. Even in Rogue One.

Still, both make for great entertainment.

IMO, despite all the criticism, Revenge Of The Sith is actually the best film of the series. And the action scenes in the original trilogy are laughable by today's standards.

Seems wrong to have them coming out so fast.

+1

I remember the intensity of the first three films... we had to wait and wait but it was worth it. It kept us in suspense.

Oh well. Let's raise a glass to the good old days.

darth-vader-beer.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Star Wars geek here. Lots of star wars memorabilia around the house. My wife dressed as Leia last year for halloween since I'm such a fan. Born in 72, so big impact in my childhood.

Going to see tomorrow! My wife couldn't make it today.

When the first star wars movies came out, movies used to come out in Brazil months after the U.S., now most come out at the same time.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I remember the intensity of the first three films... we had to wait and wait but it was worth it. It kept us in suspense.

Oh well. Let's raise a glass to the good old days.

There are plenty of weekly TV shows that manage to keep people on the edge of their seats and Game of Thrones seems to do pretty well on an irregular annual basis.

I don't care how quickly the Star Wars movies come out. I care how well the films are made. If they can churn out a good film once a week, then fine. Obviously, that's not practical. If they can overlap the production such that they've got one a year, then as long as the movie's good, I'm good.

Note that even with 20 years to gestate and a longer span between each movie, the prequels weren't up to snuff, even when made by Lucas, himself. Now Disney is in charge and they're going to want to get back the money they invested in buying the franchise. I have nothing against Disney. They've made good movies, damned good movies...and disastrous movies. Eventually, they'll make a mistake with Star Wars and everyone will turn on them, saying, "I knew all along that Disney would ruin the franchise!"

So far, The Force Awakens and Rogue One have worked out fairly well. I'm willing to go along for the ride.

My personal prediction is that the stumble will come when they try to start the non-Skywalker story line, but that will be a few more years. The stand-alones? I don't know. I'm 50/50 on the idea (no matter how much I would like to see a Yoda movie), but willing to be convinced. I don't require special effects so much as a tight story line. This may be another case where I'm in the minority, as a lot of people I know seem to relish the spectacle more than the story.

Keep 'em coming, Disney. Just keep an eye on the quality, okay?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

the prequels weren't up to snuff, even when made by Lucas, himself...

I don't require special effects so much as a tight story line.

I agree. The prequels suffered from too much CGI and shallow characters.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

One of the biggest mistakes Lucas made was "midichlorians."

Prior to that little revelation, we each secretly--okay, maybe not so secretly--held the fantasy that with the right training, we could become full-fledged Jedi. In one fell swoop, Lucas jerked the rug out from under us. If we didn't have a high midichlorian count, we were toast.

...and I'm pretty sure my midichlorian count is zero. Maybe one, on a good day, with a tail wind, and if I'm shaking hands with Mace Windu, so that some of his DNA rubs off on me.

Yeah, in that one way I'd like to return to an earlier, more innocent era, where I could still dream of meeting a Master who would see potential in me and decide that I was worth the trouble to train.

Nowadays, I have enough trouble getting my own kids to see me as a hero. Hell, I'd settle for them acknowledging me as human.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Of course, being BFFs w/Samuel L. Jackson would pretty much boost anyone's ratings through the roof. He's one badass...er, MF...

That stands for Musician's Friend, dammit! Stop looking at me like that!

Grey

Stop talking about the prequels already! I had pretty much purged all memory of:

-midichlorians

-JarJar StepnFetchIt

-Pouty Young I Can't Act Darth

-Teen Angsty I Can't Act Darth

-Lovely Oscar Winning Actress What Am I Going To Do With This Awful Dialog Natalie

-Phone It In Ewan McGregor

I'm sorry, but Teen Angsty Darth does NOT earn the right to stand in holographs next to Obiwan and Yoda.

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I had pretty much purged all memory of:

-midichlorians

-JarJar StepnFetchIt

-Pouty Young I Can't Act Darth

-Teen Angsty I Can't Act Darth

-Lovely Oscar Winning Actress What Am I Going To Do With This Awful Dialog Natalie

-Phone It In Ewan McGregor

I'm sorry, but Teen Angsty Darth does NOT earn the right to stand in holographs next to Obiwan and Yoda.

Yet another case where I'm in the minority--I didn't mind Jar Jar. I'm not saying that I liked the character, but he didn't bother me as badly as he did others.

We are definitely, absolutely on the same page regarding both young Anakins. Gawd, I hated both of them. Despised them. Abhorred them. What the hell was Lucas thinking when he cast them? How could he not see that the central role in those movies needed someone (well, two someones) better at acting, better at...well...everything? Ugh.

For my money, Natalie Portman consistently had the worst possible dialog in every scene, in all three movies. It's a friggin' miracle her career survived the role.

Ewan McGregor? Hmmm... I'm not sure he was the right actor for the role. No, I don't have anything bad to say about him as an actor. No, I don't have a standout actor that I would suggest as a replacement. I just don't see that he has the gravity that Sir Alec Guinness brought to the role earlier/later. It's not that he didn't do well enough in the movie (given the material he had to work with), it's that I have trouble seeing him growing into Sir Alec Guinness twenty or thirty years later. They're just too different in their approaches to the character, even though I read that McGregor studied Guinness's mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. so as to try to make it as seamless as possible. It just didn't work for me.

Hugh Jackman, maybe? I had someone else flit through my mind, but I lost it before I could get it written down.

Grey

I have my tickets for Friday at 1:30 PM. It should be fun.

However, I'm WAY more excited that Disney is buying Fox. Not that I want a huge conglomerate, but it means

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

both young Anakins

Natalie Portman

Ewan McGregor

See, I pin this all on Lucas. The Star Wars movies did better when he wasn't directing them and writing their lines. Even A New Hope was filled with awkward dialog, but they did enough with it overall that it was a success. I think the concepts in Episodes I - III were good, but they were implemented poorly.

Also, Episode I was for kids. Lucas was focused on his kids, they shut down production at 5 PM every day so he could be with his kids (which I think is great), but Jar Jar, the pod race, and all that was clearly more like a kid's movie.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think I win the FANBOI award.

Have tickets to the pre-premiere tomorrow (Thursday) in Del Amo mall.

Gonna leave choir practice early to make it on time. Starts at 9PM Pacific, and I'll be sure to come gloat here afterwards. :evil:

I'll one-up you. I've arranged a private showing for my company's 200+ staff, and I'm not going because I have a gig tonight. :freak:

6:20pm tomorrow VIP reserved seatings, though. A pint and Star Wars? Yes please! :2thu:

If I didn't have band rehearsal this evening, the GF and I would be at the Midnight showing, dressed as Jedi complete with lightsabers, along side 30+ of my 501st Legion and Rebel Legion buddies.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Kurzweil Forte7, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Once Disney bought the farm, there are going to be annual harvests. :)

It's a cash cow, now.

Yeah no kidding. Have you seen the new terms Disney is imposing on theaters if they want to show this thing?

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-last-jedi-disney-theaters-ticket-sales/

We'll see if there's a ticket price bump as a result.

Planning on seeing it Friday - either at the Cinetopia or IMAX. The Cinetopia has a 20' longer screen, but the IMAX has it in 3D. Being a bit of a Star Wars purist I'll probably opt for the Cinetopia.

Like Bobadohshe I'm more excited about Infinity War next spring, but this will definitely do for now.

Archived