Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iMac Pro Released - 12/14/17

Geoff Grace

Apple announced that the iMac Pro will be available beginning tomorrowThursday, December 14starting at $5,000 for an 8-core Xeon procession, 32GB of RAM, an 8GB Radeon Pro Vega GPU and 1TB SSD. Customers will be able to customize the iMac Pro with up to an 18-core Xeon chip, 128GB of RAM, 16GB GPU, and 4TB hard drive.

Unfortunately, the iMac Pro isnt user upgradeable; so if you're going to buy one, you may want to carefully consider what your needs will be for the life of the computer and configure it at the point of purchase to meet those needs. More here:

iMac Pro - Apple

You can buy an iMac Pro on Dec. 14, but you can't upgrade the RAM

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This no user upgradeability is what pisses off most people about macs. I can see the rational (maybe) for the laptops, but for desktops...

I hope they upgrade the mini's as well soon, no updates since 2014 IIRC.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

This is the hot ticket for DAW and art work, project studio video, etc. for OSX users. Would love to trade in my older iMac for one of these.

This is a stop gap as Apple finishes new Mac Pro design which they promised would return to a user upgradeable design (we'll see). In the meantime, if the iMac Pros don't float your boat - Hackintosh and dual boot with Windows if you even need or want to. But MS Office for Windows is becoming pretty irrelevant with cloud based office software.

Bumping up the minis would be cool for MainStage users too, but I'm sure a lot of us pull that off with any variety of their laptops.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Great overview vid. Got my GAS churning a little but man, it's just not the best use of $5K for me. And indeed would it ever be. I do a little bit of video editing but nothing large scale.

And for audio, it seems like the lesser machines of today are more than capable.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

And for audio, it seems like the lesser machines of today are more than capable.

I think that's true for most situations; but for a composer who's syncing to video while creating orchestral mockups using 70-80 virtual instruments, the new iMac Pro could easily replace current multi-computer setups.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived