Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Years since Cobain's Death

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget the vocals and the full arrangement.
Dan - actually wouldn't it be sufficient and even more appropriate for Jazz to just kinda 'scavange' or even reharmonize the melody lines a bit to form a head and then just jam a bit and come on back in on the head later, trade 4s or whatever...that would sound cool ! :cool:

It could even be a community piece - I'd trade a 4 myself ! There's gotta be a rhythm section in here somewhere and the piece could be sent around - could be fun. Maybe not as good as 'The Gods of Rock' thing but a fun collaboration just the same... :thu:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by Dan South:

So, Mr. Jazz, please use your amazing talent to play and record your own versions of these songs and then post them so that we may all be amazed.

Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Jimi's "Red House" and "All Along The Watchtower"

STP's "Interstate Love Song"

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

RHCP's "Give It Away" and "Under The Bridge"

Tori Amos covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I hope there is no debate about her playing ability.

Herbie Hancock covered "All Apologies"; another cool Nirvana tune.

Of course, Herbie and Miles dig Rap quite a bit -since they both released Hip Hop albums.

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard Pat Metheny cover Jimi Hendrix too!

Donald Fagen said he likes Rap.

Lots of Jazz guys just love Rock and Rap.

Dosn't mean that Mr Jazz person has to like it, but it does mean that a lot of very talented people people find value in it. Good for them!

Of course, those jazz folks just might be kissing ass to protect their feeble sales.

Imagine if someone like Rosenwinkel came out and said "Hendrix was the most overrated player in history". Do you think that would help sell his CDs? Not likely, because all the rock heads that dabble in jazz would be offended that someone trashed their hero.

Think about it.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Imagine if someone like Rosenwinkel came out and said "Hendrix was the most overrated player in history".
Actually sometimes it's not even necessary to come up with stuff like that - the more secure and mature players seem to let most people have their own space and push people into new things with their music...

But about the collaboration - I guess what I was thinking was...uh remember that old Bonzo Dog Band thing where they introduced everyone in a really big band and they all got 2 or 4 bars to play - then they started introducing people you knew weren't in the band - Eric Clapton on ukulele, Adolf Hitler on vibes - hehe that kind of thing...pretty funny

Super, why are you trying to reason with this guy? Everytime someone posts anthing about Nirvana we go through this EXACT SAME BULLSHIT.

If Jazzhole is going to troll this place he could at least come up with some new material.

Jazz- please listen carefully. You've pushed your luck and you should quit before you get the shove of your young life.

You'd be an embarrassment to this community, were you only a member of it. You might aspire to be, but you're not. Ask anyone.

You'd be a serious embarrassment to the jazz community- if you only were a jazz musician. You might aspire to be, but you're not. Ask anyone.

So please don't post here any more. I promise you, with each passing day, you're only making yourself look more of an idiot among even the most moderate members here.

Of course, you might aspire to be an idiot- and in this (at least), you've succeeded. Ask anyone.

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by Geetar:

Of course, I might aspire to be an idiot- and in this (at least), I've succeeded. Ask anyone.

That's OK, I believe you. Nirvana still sucks though. No talent, obnoxious hogwash for pawns of M(oron)TV.

You weren't a pawn, were you?

Jazz.

You evidently don't have a stringbean's brains, or you'd have pushed off by now.

Your musical efforts, at least, are highly entertaining- for what are ( at least from your point of view) all the wrong reasons.

You are so far from understanding true musical talent (and I'm not even referring to Cobain here ), that you aren't even aware of the gulf that exists between your pitiful aspirations and true comprehension.

You haven't, additionally, the least notion of why this is a "community" and why, consequently, you have no place in it.

And yet you go on pushing your luck.

If I were you- and I thank whatever Gods may be out there that I'm not- I would be forced to consider whether there was any further point in pursuing a musical future which must forever be beyond my feeble grasp.

So........let's consider your future here.

Okay, that didn't take long.

You have none.

And by the way, edit and misquote me as you may, just know this:

Everyone- and I mean EVERYONE- else will be reading what I originally posted; and they will be laughing at you.

Laughing.

Uproariously.

At you.

Constantly.

Unceasingly.

I shall ensure this with a new post every time you reply.

You are only just beginning to irritate me.

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by Geetar:

Jazz.

I evidently don't have a stringbean's brains, or I'd have pushed off by now. To support my claim, I actually believe Kurt NoBrain could actually play and sing. Then again, I think that of Britney Spears, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen.

Well, I can't comment on your IQ. However, I've been able to ear train some pretty dumb people. Seriously, people half as smart as I believe you to be.

So, if you're serious about learning music, I can get you off to a good start. Let me know if I can help.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Super, why are you trying to reason with this guy?

Wee,

I'm trying to be nice.

Nobody knows that Jazz guy has been rejected more than Jazz guy. What's the sense in reminding him of it?

I don't know if he is capable of having a friendly discussion or not, but I was trying.

I didn't make one slam or demeaning comment to him in this whole thread. He's made a couple to me, but I'm not concerned with it.

I was just in a good mood and trying to be friendly. Maybe he will reciprocate, or maybe he'll kick me in the ass....who knows? I guess we'll find out.

I'm just tired of the bitching. It would be great if we could all just find some common ground, and get along. Doesn't seem like so much to ask.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It's obvious that he's a very miserable human being, unsatisfied and unfulfilled while life leaves a bitter taste in his mouth. Perhaps we could all try to help him here. He probably just needs a little compassion and understanding. How about it, Jazz guy? Talk to us! Tell us what's on your mind.

sincerely,

Jeebus

Originally posted by Jazz Guitar:

Sorry Dan, I know "rock" is what ties you and all your friends together, it doesn't make it good.

Wrong again, Mr. Guitar! Obviously you didn't do your homework before you posted that one.

So, you've wussed out just as I predicted. You can't even play All Along The Watchtower for the fifty bucks that I put up. I'm sure that scores of other people on these fora could, and would, take that bet. Jeff the Weasel could do it. guitplayer could do it. Lots of others here could do it.

P.S. That fifty bucks is still waiting for you. Just post your MP3 performances of the songs listed above. We're all waiting to hear your virtuosity.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing."

- William Shakespeare, from "Macbeth"

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Super 8:

It would be great if we could all just find some common ground, and get along. Doesn't seem like so much to ask.

Psst! Super, it's a troll. It has no intention of getting along with everyone.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Rog:

Psst! Super, it's a troll. It has no intention of getting along with everyone.

Sorry Rog, but I think it's just a lonely, frightened little wannabe who sh*ts himself everytime he posts, knowing that every time he does, he's going to get his ass handed to him in a hat. But he just can't help himself.

Jazz- a serious question here (and let's not get into whether you're capable of responding like an adult for once) - do you understand the nature of obsessive-compulsive disorder and other comorbid conditions, like Tourette's, and has anyone ever suggested that you seek help for any of these?

You're showing some signs of fraying at the edges, sunshine : your specific social deficits are highly indicative of ( admittedly minor but needing treatment now, to avoid worsening ) mental health problems. Your attention to detail and ....er......accomplishments to date, coupled with your attention-seeking behaviour, suggest the need for professional help.

Take this warning seriously. In the UK, you could get "Sectioned" for the sort of behaviour that may follow if you don't seek help ( once you're over 18 years old, "Sectioned" = detained for forcible psychiatric treatment under Section 4 of the '83 Mental Health Act).

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Look, I've said from the beginning that I felt nothing but sympathy for Jazz and the people like him. It's really fascinating if you're at all into psychology and/or sociology. The behavior is so predictable, so repetitive among them.

But if we all had a magic looking glass into which we could see the factors that led Jazz to become what he is, I can almost guarantee we'd all feel a little more sorry for him, rather than the anger that he desires.

In any case, I started this thread a couple of days ago not to praise Cobain, but to acknowledge a landmark date that marked his passing. He was a hugely influential artist, and I felt it worthwhile to note that a decade had passed since his death. Unfortunately, the thread has become more about Jazz than Kurt, which is what Jazz wanted. I, for one, am not worried about him editing quotes (everyone can read the originals above the ones he edits, so it's pointless and another example of the self-flaggelation in which he excels). But for a person who can only achieve validation through the means he's chosen, this is all he's got. And that's really, really sad.

Jazz, I wish you luck in working through your issues, and perhaps you can come around and become a person who is valued here rather than universally despised. I doubt this will happen (history says I won't), but i've always been an optimist in regard to these things.

Again...good luck.

- Jeff

I guess Jazz was able to manipulate emotions and conversation pretty easily. I could say more but I'll let it rest - not 'cause I'm so smart or anything but I found it interesting the way the society here reacted as well as Jazz himself - and I like listening to as well as contributing to discussions of that nature.

However this is a music board so let's ©rock & ©rap & (cr)azz - hehe with equal disdain - or enthusiasm, which is what I enjoy myself personally :wave:

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Ignore the troll, other than banning him, it's the only solution. :)

Seriously does that just not happen here? What does it take for someone to be banned here? He has over 1000 posts a month(!)and any time someone discusses a topic he doesn't like he takes the thread over, no matter if it's inappropriate or insulting to the members of the forum (which is why he doesn't get ignored).

I was at work the day I found out from a co-worker. Around here it was as big of a deal as when John Lennon got killed. Even if you weren't a fan it was a sad sight seeing all those people gather at Seattle Center.

I believe that Mr. Jazz may be taking a much needed vacation from the boards. Let's hope that he'll be able to get a grip on his demons and come back a positve member of the community. I actually LIKED what the guy had to say when he wasn't trolling.

Anyway, back to Cobain. Yeah, I have to concur with the poster who said that he had a good voice, at least for his type of music. It was one of those cases where all of the little things added up into a synergistic whole. His voice, his "disturbed pretty-boy" looks, his angst-ridden lyrics, the band's "really good garage band" playing style, his evasive personna and troubled personality, his trampy, shapely wife, and finally, the whole Seattle mystique. It added up to a unique package that moved a lot of people. I thought Nirvana was cool, but when I talk to people who were in their late teens or early twenties at the time, they thought the guy was like a messiah or something. It's amazing the amount of passion - positive AND negative - that he inspired and still inspires today.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived