Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Years since Cobain's Death

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rog:

I liked Bleach, loved the songs on Nevermind but hated the neutered production on that album ... but would they have become so successful with a raw sounding album? In Utero was a step in the right direction and I still love Albini's production on that one, especially the drums which sound much bigger than the overly-compressed ones on Nevermind. I feel it was closer to what Kurt wanted.

My brother introduced me to Bleach when it came out. I could't believe anyone could do something as cool as "Negative Creep". Then Nevermind. I really like the slick production on it, because it has so much VIBE. You're right as far as In Utero being more what Kurt wanted - he said many times that he 'finally' made the album he wanted, but was scared that the kids would hate it. He also said that Nevermind is a record that he can Never tire of - there's something about it's slickness that just sucked him in. He said it's his only record that he could listen to. That said, In Utero and Incesticide are my favorites and I LOVE the production on In Utero (typical great Albini action, and it really did them justice). Nirvana will always have a place with me.

Matt out.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Did anyone see the MTV special last night, I don't recall seeing the dude on camera just talking before, he seemed so opposite of his reputation. Just a slight, unbecoming counter of his stage and music prescence.

Maybe he had a dual personality or some form of schizophrenia, or maybe it was just the drugs that made him that way.

Anyone whom isn't impressed with the guy's ability to transcend the simplicity of a three piece into something "huge", can't see the forest thru the tree's. :love:

Jimi Hendrix had that, but Hendrix was after more and more complex things, maybe thats what Cobain would have done eventually, we can only guess :confused:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Originally posted by Super 8:

They are extremely capable of making decent music. They are all top notch musicians, and song writers.

Did you guys get a group rate for your excursion to Planet Delusional? I hear bands that jump up and down, yelling and screaming in their underware are all the rage there. Drinks are free, nobody tips, and all STDs have been rendered harmless by the atmosphere. Women even look good in the morning.

Have fun and send us a postcard, damn it!

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Hey Jazz Guitar, how are the wife and kids? Really? That's good to hear! Thanks, you too! Take care now!

How's the MP3s coming along? Any day now, right? You'll just be banging out those chords on your pretend keyboard, which is connected to your pretend DAW and magic will happen, any day now, any day.

Buck, buck buck BAWKKKKK!

With chickens, their pecks are worse than their bite.

Originally posted by Jazz Guitar:

I hear bands that jump up and down, yelling and screaming in their underware are all the rage there.

This has no bearing on their ability to play their instruments well or to write good songs.
Well, since that obviously SUCK at that too, that doesn't leave much to be "desired", does it.

Their music STINKS. It's for little chump teenagers.

Originally posted by Aaron Carey:

so let me get this straight. Where was the first place YOU heard nirvana. Was it not one of the bought and paid for media channels?

Where are these "pits of consumer momentum" located that can change the bizz decisions. Are they somewhere in seattle or something? Funny a LOT of good underground stuff was coming out of seattle in the late 80's, but hardly anyone had heard of nirvana. Or did they play to select pools of people that happened to have a voice in the direction of the bizz?

What record label was Nevermind distributed by? Oh one of those independants right?

I dont want to sound like an ass, but the wool is thick over there, and Im so jaded anyhow who knows

Actually, the first Nirvana song I ever heard was in a movie - can't remember the movie, but the song was off Bleach - "Negative Creep" or something like that. Didn't even know it was them, but the song stayed with me - and when Nevermind hit, all of a sudden I had someone to connect it with.

So by hearing a song in a movie by a band you couldnt remember the name of, somehow you were one of the public who put Nirvana onto MTV?

How exactly was this done? Magical rememberkinesis?

Nirvana was on MTV because the system wanted them there, the public swallowed it hook line and sinker like every other radio revolution. pop40 is pop40 is pop40 Nirvan and Wham sound a little different but their messages are the same

to quote another bunch of northwesterners at the same era "and if you dont believe me your a schmuck, hopefully the fad will die out with any luck"

Originally posted by Salodious:

Dan, Red Hot Chili Peppers have nothing to do with Grunge.

Not pure grunge, more like grungy funk. But they were contemporaries of the grunge acts, playing some of the same shows. Plus RHCP and grunge acts TOGETHER combined to influence a lot of today's acts (Linkin Park, et al.).

You could argue that the Beatles and Stones weren't "rock" bands, but I would link them in with the Who and other rock bands of the era simply because they were part of the same general musical movement.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Their music STINKS.

Oh well... Guess you better not listen to it then.
Don't worry, they're as much "taboo" as ©rap "music" is in my house. About as "talented" too.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by Salodious:

Dan, Red Hot Chili Peppers have nothing to do with Grunge.

Not pure grunge, more like grungy funk. But they were contemporaries of the grunge acts, playing some of the same shows. Plus RHCP and grunge acts TOGETHER combined to influence a lot of today's acts (Linkin Park, et al.).

Which is exactly why they should be shot, twice!

Dan, you don't really appreciate musicians, do you? It's more of a rock attitude appreciation, right?

I don't think Dan is talking to you. It's because you aren't a very nice person.

I guess that's what happens when you trash somebody's hero or religion or in your case, one's "GB"!

:D

Does that make me a "bad" person? Gosh I certainly hope not.

I don't think Dan is talking to you. It's because you aren't a very nice person.

I guess that's what happens when you trash somebody's hero or religion or in your case, one's "GB"!
:D

Yup! That's what happens. If you aren't nice to people, sooner or later nobody likes you.

Does that make me a "bad" person? Gosh I certainly hope not.

Hell if I know... There's always time to change though. You don't have to like the music, but you could be a whole lot nicer about it.

To each their own, I say.

I love Jazz. But I like Nirvana and the Red Hots too. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I have an idea. Since Mr. Jazz is superior in talent an ability to Jimi, Kurt, RHCP, STP, Peal Jam, and the rest of us lowly posters, he would probably like to show us how it's done.

So, Mr. Jazz, please use your amazing talent to play and record your own versions of these songs and then post them so that we may all be amazed.

Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Jimi's "Red House" and "All Along The Watchtower"

STP's "Interstate Love Song"

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

RHCP's "Give It Away" and "Under The Bridge"

Don't forget the vocals and the full arrangement. But that should be EASY for YOU, since all of this music and all of the people who played is "suck."

Go ahead. Show us your superior skill. Throw in a couple of famous rap tunes, too, since you like to diss hip hop. I'd love to hear your rendition of Public Enemy's "Fight The Power."

I'll even send you fifty bucks if you can complete the task. Oh, I'm not worried about the money, because I'm sure that you have as many excuses as you do insults. But just for the record, we'd love to hear your professionalism in action, and we'd love to watch you show is how SUPERIOR you are to all of the established acts that you like to pan.

Make our day!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

It's just that nobody can see what makes you a "good" person.

Bob, do you tend to get beat up by Phillies' fans? You'll notice the further south one goes in NJ, the less liked are the Mets and Yankees.

Perhaps somewhat akin to jazz musicians mingling with rockers?

PS Property values go down with increasing distance to Rt1. No escaping property taxes in Mercer Country either, about 3 to 4 times what I pay in CA. Of course we have dumber kids, but hell, I aint paying 4 'em. :D

I have an idea. Since Mr. Jazz is superior in talent an ability to Jimi, Kurt, RHCP, STP, Peal Jam, and the rest of us lowly posters, he would probably like to show us how it's done.

So, Mr. Jazz, please use your amazing talent to play and record your own versions of these songs and then post them so that we may all be amazed.

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

Don't forget the vocals and the full arrangement. But that should be EASY for YOU, since all of this music and all of the people who played is "suck."

Go ahead. Show us your superior skill. Throw in a couple of famous rap tunes, too, since you like to diss hip hop. I'd love to hear your rendition of Public Enemy's "Fight The Power."

I'll even send you fifty bucks if you can complete the task. Oh, I'm not worried about the money, because I'm sure that you have as many excuses as you do insults. But just for the record, we'd love to hear your professionalism in action, and we'd love to watch you show is how SUPERIOR you are to all of the established acts that you like to pan.

Make our day!

Sorry, I hate that "music". I have no desire to learn or perform it. Frankly it's obnoxious bullshit. Feel free to like obnoxious bullshit however. You were probably raised on it by M(oron)TV and can't see the forest for the trees at this point.

What ©rock needs is less attitude and more musicianship. Since it competes with ©rap, which features no musicianship or singers, I don't see ©rock improving, only "deproving".

Sorry Dan, I know "rock" is what ties you and all your friends together, it doesn't make it good.

It's like finding out the religion you've been indoctrinated with all your life was total hogwash.

It would appear the late Rev Jim Jones had alot in common with MTV. Both poisoned their audience.

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

It's just that nobody can see what makes you a "good" person.

Bob, do you tend to get beat up by Phillies' fans? You'll notice the further south one goes in NJ, the less liked are the Mets and Yankees.

Perhaps somewhat akin to jazz musicians mingling with rockers?

PS Property values go down with increasing distance to Rt1. No escaping property taxes in Mercer Country either, about 3 to 4 times what I pay in CA. Of course we have dumber kids, but hell, I aint paying 4 'em. :D

I'm a New Yorker originally thus a Mets fan. Phillies fans don't bother me. They only have a good team once every 10 years or so (but this might be one of those years!).

And.. my property value is going thru the roof. I can't even afford to buy my own house now!

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

Tori Amos covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I hope there is no debate about her playing ability.

Herbie Hancock covered "All Apologies"; another cool Nirvana tune.

Of course, Herbie and Miles dig Rap quite a bit -since they both released Hip Hop albums.

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard Pat Metheny cover Jimi Hendrix too!

Donald Fagen said he likes Rap.

Lots of Jazz guys just love Rock and Rap.

Dosn't mean that Mr Jazz person has to like it, but it does mean that a lot of very talented people people find value in it. Good for them!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Please. Those guys are beneath Jazz's level. Herbie Hancock isn't fit to shine Jazz's shoes. He only likes real music from real musicians.

I mean, why hasn't Ornette Coleman covered Nirvana? Huh? Can anyone anser me that? Where's the Wes Montgomery cover of "All Apologies"?

;)

- Jeff

Archived