Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Years since Cobain's Death

Jazz (I'll discuss music with you, not the other crap)...

I can't imagine two more different bands that happened to achieve popularity around the same time than Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Please tell me you can hear the differences between the bands to whom you keep referring.

No rule you have to like either one, but why even bring them up in the same breath? Do you feel there's some similarity other than the general age range/mindset of the audience? There's certainly no comparison musically, and that's what you keep saying. Why?

- Jeff

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Jazz (I'll discuss music with you, not the other crap)...

I can't imagine two more different bands that happened to achieve popularity around the same time than Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Please tell me you can hear the differences between the bands to whom you keep referring.

No rule you have to like either one, but why even bring them up in the same breath? Do you feel there's some similarity other than the general age range/mindset of the audience? There's certainly no comparison musically, and that's what you keep saying. Why?

- Jeff

Seemed all that stupid screaming rock, where nobody could play guitar came out about the same time. 12 years or so I dubbed it, "music to drink beer and laugh at." Still true today.

Today we have even worse "bands" than Nirvana. Obnoxious and stupid without a cause. Godsmack is probably the worst I've ever seen.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Jazz, "stupid screaming rock" is exactly hos some people described Elvis, the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. I'm not saying you have to like them either, but at least have some perspective here.

- Jeff

Nevermind (no pun intended).
Amateur Hack

Either if you like his music or not, either if you respected him as a live performer, or you think he sucked. Even if you don't care about him, you simply cannot deny the fact that Kurt Cobain's music and attitude not only defined an era for rock music, but also, it impacted a generation.

I think Nirvana's "Nevermind" is one of the most influential records of the 90s.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:9myGiJ9MsxsJ:www.skatista100juizo.blogger.com.br/kurt%2520cobain%25202.jpg

RIP. Kurt Cobain.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Do you remember where were you when you heard the news?

Geez, it's like it was yesterday when I got the call from my Mom (of all people) when I was at work. She told me that "I just heard on the news that Kurt Cobain killed himself".

I was devistated. She called me and told me because she knew how much I liked Nirvana.

it was a sad day.

R.I.P. Kurt :(

0096 2251 2110 8105

Originally posted by sacdog:

She called me and told me because she knew how much I liked Nirvana.

Sorry to hear that. You must have been very young at the time. Kids shouldn't have to lose their heros.

Adults on the other hand shouldn't have to put up with CRAP like Nirvana however. Good for kids, bad for adults.

Originally posted by Jazz Guitar:

Sorry to hear that. You must have been very young at the time. Kids shouldn't have to lose their heros.

Adults on the other hand shouldn't have to put up with CRAP like Nirvana however. Good for kids, bad for adults.

Maybe you didn't read the part about her calling him at work, suggesting that he wasn't so young. Your statement is like saying that Beatles are only for Geezers. If you weren't 30 in the 60's, you could still enjoy the Beatles.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I would thank Kurt Cobain for making me feel like " we " finally made it. For about five minutes.

Coming from a hardcore punk background, seeing this guy play on the previously UNwatchable MTV gave me hope of the highest order. I mean, it sure SOUNDED like my crew.

Then we heard his "lyrics"

What a bunch of crap, TOTAL crap. Too chickenshit to actually say anything, but allude to stuff while "gargling marbles in his mouth"

uh huh, no thanks

If those who found him so great in the early 90's had taken a look below the surface and seeing what was REALLY going on in the punk and underground worlds, they probably wouldve been in for a treat!

For five minutes I believed we were there, but then reality set in, and we could see this was just the new thing, the new fad, the new trend for all the conformists to get into. So we get the sounds, angst and anger of punk rock, with the typical popstar top 40 "say nothing lyrics" that characterized the radio decade before.

Megadeth was a lot more ballsy lyrically than any of the radiopunks/ grunge guys ever had the nadz to be.

Ushering in Pearl Garden Pilots was nothing to be proud of.

Thank you Kurt Cobain for giving me five minutes of euphoria. I hate for anyone to die, and I feel sorry for your daughter. I can understand fleeing from that wife of yours tho, but I have trouble shedding tears for another dead junkie.

Sorry if I offended any junkies out there

Originally posted by NE-One:

Maybe you didn't read the part about her calling him at work, suggesting that he wasn't so young. Your statement is like saying that Beatles are only for Geezers. If you weren't 30 in the 60's, you could still enjoy the Beatles.
Few people over 25 could endure Kurt NoBrain's screaming. I know I couldn't. The band just stank.

Comparing Nirvana to the Beatles is a bit of a stretch, isn't it? At least the Beatles could sing, not great musicians, but they could sing and harmonize.

I listen to mostly instrumentals today. Musicianship means alot more to me that "rock attitude" without a cause, or shred of talent.

I was probably about 10 years old when a friend in school told me about Nirvana. He introduced me to Green Jelly (that little band with Maynard of Tool) and they had that one single... oddly that was a hit with us, but one day he said "check out Nirvana". So dad and I are at the local K-Mart and I see their album on tape, "Nevermind" and I'm thinking "theres a naked baby swimming around... whats my dad gonna think?" Hey I was 10 :P

Regardless, I loved the band. I learned of Stone Temple Pilots (who inspired me to begin guitar 8 years ago), Soundgarden (almost cried when they broke up), Alice In Chains (huge influence, wish Layne didn't die however I'm on 2 sides of the fence when it comes to druggies..)...

I loved Nirvana's unplugged performance too.

And I have never bought a Nirvana CD since about that time either... I probably should.

I was looking through Kobain's published journal's, seemed interesting, but I've read he didn't want anyone to read them. So I don't know that I'm getting a copy, but I'd like to read more insight into what it was like being a member of Nirvana and how he thought, and how that factored into his music.

I don't care if anyone disagrees, Nirvana IS a milestone.

Few people over 25 could endure Kurt NoBrain's screaming. I know I couldn't. The band just stank.

Comparing Nirvana to the Beatles is a bit of a stretch, isn't it? At least the Beatles could sing, not great musicians, but they could sing and harmonize.

I listen to mostly instrumentals today. Musicianship means alot more to me that "rock attitude" without a cause, or shred of talent.

shows how much you know, I'm 31 years old and most people in my age group (friends and aquaintances) still listen to rock music. Not all of it is screaming you ignorant old curmudgeon.
0096 2251 2110 8105

$10 says Nirvana makes the RRHOF before Black Sabbath.

I would have to agree with Aaron's comments. Same deal with Metallica. They broke through, only to totally sell out.

I will say that Nevermind is one of the absolute best album covers, ever.

Jazz, your confused. The 90's was the era of whining, not screaming.

The era of self-pity and oh poor me. Fuck that shit. Quit whining people, get mad not sad.

Just look at the key figures of the 90's....

Manson, Cobain, Reznor, and every other mentally deranged character made famous and idolized by a generation.

I thought the 80's sucked. Boy was I in for a shock. The 90's took suck to a whole new level.

And just look at the new century....reagan's back and it looks like the 80's all over again.

It's like cycling de-culturalization on a mass scale.

And the blame is easily placed. Television.

And if you ask me, the recording industry killed Cobain. Dead rock stars sell more records.

if reagan and the 80's are back GOOD!!!

maybe there will be an underground again....at least one that isnt limited to trance/trip hop

maybe well have a reason to hate politicians and make good ANGRY REAL music

sissypunk and emo bands recording lately are trying to shred. Tight pants are back. Skateboarders are looking yuppie again

I guess the 80's really could be coming back!

I mean look at queen, errr...sorry darkness

" Not all of it is screaming you ignorant old curmudgeon."

YEAH, but then most of the good shit is...jazz you gotta expand your horizons

learn to hate ALL music,not just rock

Originally posted by sacdog:

shows how much you know, I'm 31 years old and most people in my age group (friends and aquaintances) still listen to rock music. Not all of it is screaming you ignorant old curmudgeon.
You see, I play guitar and that's why today's rock doesn't interest me. Same with ©rap "music".

Originally posted by Aaron Carey:

..jazz you gotta expand your horizons

learn to hate ALL music,not just rock

[Homer Simpson]

Bart, the key to beating jury duty is to say you're prejudice against all races."

Originally posted by Phait:

He introduced me to Green Jelly (that little band with Maynard of Tool) and they had that one single... oddly that was a hit with us...

Although Green Jello has had 74 members in their 4-5 year stint, I don't think Maynard Keenan was ever one of them. Got a link?
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

First, let me say that this thread is a sad commentary about the depths to which SSS has plunged. A year or two ago, some people might have said that they never got into Nirvana or that they didn't think that Cobain was all that talented, etc., but never with the kind of unrepentent bile that oozes from these pages today. If someone mocked Dizzy Gillespie or Duke Ellington on the anniversaries of their deaths, well, no one would have enough bad taste to do so. So why do we have to put up with some shit eating attention hound whose sole purpose is to piss people off for his own entertainment? To dishonor the dead in this way is tantamount to mental illness, and I hope that the ass licking waste of semen who amuses himself in this fashion will seek professional help or choke one one of his own testicles, whichever comes first.

Cobain, Nirvana, and the grunge movement were important forces in the history of music. None of us who post here have ever done anything remotely as significant, so even if you don't care for the music, you can either recognize the impact that it had or you can look like a fool.

I didn't care for Nirvana or Pearl Jam in the beginning, but I eventually got into STP and RHCP and warmed up to the rest of the movement later. I'd rather listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit a hundred times in a row than listen to an album of Motley Crue hits. Grunge was real, raw, emotional music, not some plastic 80's "product."

I concur that Cobain let himself and his family down by committing suicide. Every person who takes this course of action lets themself down. Obstacles can be overcome. Problems can be worked out. Mistakes can be forgiven. Heartbreak can be healed. Misery can be eased. Depression can be lifted. You don't need to take your own life to escape your problems or, even more foolishly, to make a point. I hope that Cobain's error in judgment will be his greatest inspiration to others - to NOT follow in his footsteps.

Kurt, we miss you and wish that you hadn't felt the need to leave so soon. Please tell Layne and Tupac and all the others that we miss them, too. Life goes on, but it would have been more fun if you guys were still in the game.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, that was a very poignant post. Thank you for your perspective.

Originally posted by NE-One:

Although Green Jello has had 74 members in their 4-5 year stint, I don't think Maynard Keenan was ever one of them. Got a link?

Look towards the end of the first review for the answer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355502/

-----------

John\'s Songs

I'll also note that anyone who thinks that Nirvana had no talent should take a close look at Mr. Dave Grohl, who plays drums, bass, guitar, and keys (all very well) and has a great voice, to boot.

Dave Rocks!!!

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

i cant stand Nirvana, i get so sick of the scraming, and how basic they are. if Kurt wouldn't have killed himself im sure the band would not have been voted #1 on every greatest band show on MTV or smells like teen spirit voted as the best song ever written.

because of his suicide and that journal shit, people just thought of him as much more "deep" and he was and is still overrated.

My reaction to the "Its been ten years" is basically.....Get over it!, its been ten years!!!

.....bonham

Archived