Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Years since Cobain's Death

10 years today. How is that possible?

I do remember that day well. I was at Alesis, back in the old location in West LA near Culver City (before they moved to Santa Monica, went bankrupt, got purchased and moved back to West LA). I enjoyed Nirvana but wasn't a complete freak about them. But that day, I remember girls openly weeping in the hallways. I also remember keeping my mouth shut with my opinion that he was talented but marginally so. There's a time and place to express one's self, and that wasn't it.

But again, I did enjoy Nirvana, and find it funny that so many people point fingers at them with hatred for having killed 80s pop metal, which was doomed to die anyway. That time period, between 91 and 95, was a good shake-up for music from a stylistic perspective. And Nirvana, though not as singlehandedly as some would believe, had a good part in that transition.

RIP, Kurt.

- Jeff

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'd say the credit for the slight re-definition (some would say regurgitation) of rock styles at that point would be shared by Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, STP, Pearl Jam and quite a few others who didn't have as much commercial recognition.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

But again, I did enjoy Nirvana, and find it funny that so many people point fingers at them with hatred for having killed 80s pop metal, which was doomed to die anyway.

LOL! That angle hadn't occurred to me.

I guess we owe the man a huge debt of gratitude :thu:

'marginally talented'? Don't think so. He was one of the best songwriters of his generation (if not THE best) and songwriting is quite a talent.

Great songwriter, no doubt. The best of his generation? Perhaps. Certainly a good one, by pop standards. Always evocative, great melodies.

Again, we're veering into the land of subjective opinion. He certainly was good. In my opinion, he wasn't on the level that many have placed him (comparisons to John Lennon and so on). But that's my opinion. Anyone who wants to think Kurt was the greatest ever is entirely entitled to that opinion as well.

- Jeff

In my opinion, he wasn't on the level that many have placed him

Nobody ever is...

I liked Nirvana. I thought they gave Rock music a good needed kick in the ass. For me, Nirvana were my introduction to the new movement. SoundGarden and Pearl Jam, and all those guys. That whole 'introspective anger' thing.

I was listening to some Nu-metal the other day, and thinking to myself; "Gosh, I remember when bands used to write songs about girls." Of course, that got old too. I think Grunge and Rap have really shaped the music of today. I think it's time for something new....past time, actually.

What I remember about Kurt, was thinking that he was my age and dead. I felt bad for him. But I really felt bad for his daughter. Suicide is an ugly thing.

I enjoyed his sound and his solos. He had a very simple approach -just play the melody line...but it was effective. After coming away from years of listening to guitarists see how many hammer-ons they could fit into a measure, Kurt's solos were very refreshing.

I also remember loving Dave Grohl's drum sound and his playing. I'm really glad to see he's done so well for himself -even though he wussed out and became a guitarist... :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

[QB]What I remember about Kurt, was thinking that he was my age and dead.

Yup, same here (Kurt was a year older than me, but close enough). It also reminded my then-26-year-old self that Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison all didn't make it past that year, but also all made tremendous creative contributions.

The fire that burns brightest...

- Jeff

But again, I did enjoy Nirvana

- Jeff

Glad you appreciated the hijinx of Mr NoBrain.

Damn I thought he was horrible. He couldn't sing, he couldn't play and the "music" was just so damn obnoxious.

Fear not, Nirvana fans still have such "wonderful" music to choose from, like the Red Hot Chili Peckers, Lame's Addiction and Godsmack.

Me? Well let's just say my goal is beyond, and considerably more tasteful.

Having fun waxing nostolgic everyone!

:wave:

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Super 8:

In my opinion, he wasn't on the level that many have placed him

Nobody ever is...

I liked Nirvana. I thought they gave Rock music a good needed kick in the ass. For me, Nirvana were my introduction to the new movement. SoundGarden and Pearl Jam, and all those guys. That whole 'introspective anger' thing.

I suspect that's why you and I don't get along.

It's too bad you're such an unhappy person, Jazz Guitar. Hopefully you don't choose Kurt's method of dealing with the fact that he couldn't relate to others well.

But with no intentions of allowing you to derail this thread as you have so many others, I say again that tastes are subjective, which is nice. Otherwise, we'd all be listening to one kind of music, and the world would be a sorry place.

Kurt had a huge effect on music, and regardless of the fact that you don't appreciate his contribution, at least you could acknowledge his effort.

- Jeff

Kurt had a huge effect on music,

- Jeff

So has rap, neither was an improvement over went came before.

So many silly Americans think "what's new" is somehow "what's better". After a while, you start seeing the pattern. Lucky 4 me, crewcuts are now "out". I thankfully have hair.

I remember very clearly that day. Very sad day. Cobain's music meant a lot to many people, including myself. Moving back to that era, I think it was a wonderful time for music - very turbulent. I think of the last 10 years about 80% of my "mainstream" purchases materialized. Wish music could have another Cobain and another wave of really good music in the next couple of years.

So long Nirvana.

So long.

RIP

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by shniggens:

Have you ever SEEN Nirvana live? Uggghhhhhhh . . .

Yes, I did, in a record store while promoting "Bleach". Great songs, very charismatic onstage, and a great performance.

Originally posted by Salodious:

But again, I did enjoy Nirvana, and find it funny that so many people point fingers at them with hatred for having killed 80s pop metal, which was doomed to die anyway.

LOL! That angle hadn't occurred to me.

I guess we owe the man a huge debt of gratitude :thu:

'marginally talented'? Don't think so. He was one of the best songwriters of his generation (if not THE best) and songwriting is quite a talent.

What Sal said.

Not THE best but this isn't a competition.

I miss the guy. He was getting better and better all the time. I had tix to see Nirvana play.

"I feel his suicide was a cop out and believe he let down my generation (not to mention his own daughter)"

Easy to say. How do you know what he was going through?

Jazz guitar: Go rot in hell you useless fucking troll.

Oh shit. I should of ignored the twat.

Hey ho. Don't disrespect someone on the anniversary of their death.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I think Kurt was more about what his lyrics said that spoke to a lot of people - put to a really chaotic musical soundtrack. But the MTV unplugged they did showed a different stripped down side. Not highly technical but expressive just the same - how does that happen - is it a mystery ? hehe.

Jeff - you're ginna have to watch Jazz today - I got realtors & designers comin in here so I'm booked ! :wave:

Originally posted by Rog:

[qb]

"I feel his suicide was a cop out and believe he let down my generation (not to mention his own daughter)"

No, my brother committed suicide and it is most definately a truly selfish and gutless act. Cop-out of the highest order.

:(:cry:

Amateur Hack

[qb]

No, my brother committed suicide and it is most definately a truly selfish and gutless act. Cop-out of the highest order.

I did NOT post that! As far as I'm concerned, his death was NOT a suicide.

[qb]

Once again (and with the utmost repect) How do you know what he was going through?

Edited, insensitive of me. I apologise.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

]

Once again (and with the utmost repect) How do you know what he was going through?

It doesn't matter what he was going through. He took his pain and gave it to EVERYONE else that cared about him. Selfish.

Sorry to hijack. Although I hate suicide more than anything in the world, I still find it fascninating for some strange, trying-to-cope-with-it reason.

Amateur Hack

I'll expand. I'm not looking for a suicide debate, I'd rather celebrate what Kurt accomplished in his life rather than the manner of his death.

A good friend of mine who I shared a flat with at the time had a knock on the door about 12 years ago. It was her uncle and aunt, come to tell her that her mother had killed herself. Her mother had two wonderful kids and a very loving husband. I only met her a few times but she struck me as a warm and caring individual, a mother anyone would be eternally grateful to have.

Her father systematically abused her and her siblings when she was a kid. I guess she could never completely erase that from mind and, even though her husband and her two kids loved her so much, she reached a point where she couldn't go on.

Tell me that suicide is the coward's way out.

Jazz guitar: Go rot in hell you useless fucking troll.

Hi there Jolly Rog(er). How R U today?

Sorry, but I hated Nirvana. Likewise the Chili Peckers, Lames' Addiction, Pearl Jam etc etc. Not good music from my vantage point. Some like screaming though, and a distinct lack of musicianship.

Hope U R still "jolly", Rog(er).

Archived