Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer's at it Again

burningbusch

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT? No Model D?

Gracious, what's this world coming to?

Grey

P.S.: I might actually be interested in an ARP 2600, depending on price, etc.

PREDICTION: I'm sure we'll be bumping this same thread this time next year, wondering when the bloody thing is going to ship...

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Actually, a thought occurred to me...

(Hey, you! Quit snickering! I have thoughts all the time. It's just that some are better thunk through than others.)

I'm betting they're staking their turf for those circuits as a warning to other companies not to try to put out competing products. If the Model D is actually (pre-)selling at the rate that some are indicating, then Behringer is probably going to see if they can get lightning to strike twice by releasing as many other "classic" circuits as possible. If they can ward off competition from other companies then they won't have to drop the price (e.g. dropping the Model D from $399 to $299 to distance themselves from the Roland SE-02) and they'll make more money. So, this is actually a pretty canny tactic on their part.

Just a thought.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I find it interesting that such a large percentage of the (non-modular) analog market is geared towards recreations of 70's and 80's synths. Seems like there could be a little more creativity in producing more innovative analog designs.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm not sure that the modular stuff qualifies as being all that innovative. It's just that you get to decide how many VCOs, VCFs, ADSRs, VCAs, etc. that you want in your space. The circuitry itself is pretty much the same as in the older gear.

Grey

I'm not sure that the modular stuff qualifies as being all that innovative. It's just that you get to decide how many VCOs, VCFs, ADSRs, VCAs, etc. that you want in your space.

Grey

Most of the innovation I've seen there has been with oscillator modules that are not VCOs ;) - especially the digital ones (wavetable, additive, granular, etc.) and the sampling ones like Rossum. Some interesting sequencer designs too.

Btw, I consider the VCS3 to be a 60s synth rather than 70s or 80s. Zivoniev released it in 1969, and it sounds more "sixties" to me too.

I'm not sure that the modular stuff qualifies as being all that innovative. It's just that you get to decide how many VCOs, VCFs, ADSRs, VCAs, etc. that you want in your space. The circuitry itself is pretty much the same as in the older gear.

Grey

Not true when you get into Eurorack. That stuff's insane. If you want creative sound design possibilities, Eurorack is the answer.

Busch.

I find it interesting that such a large percentage of the (non-modular) analog market is geared towards recreations of 70's and 80's synths. Seems like there could be a little more creativity in producing more innovative analog designs.

True, but then many organs are still copying the sound and playing interface of an organ first produced in 1935.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

They posted slots (without pictures) at their website with info about supposed upcoming synths. All vaporware at the moment.

Wasp Deluxe (Eurorack)

ARP 2600 (6U Rackmount)

Cat (Eurorack)

Synthi VCS3

SH-101 Black/grey/blue 32 key synth

MS-20 (Eurorack)

Behringer Synth Page

Busch.

Well, that looks like fun. And just in time for my retirement plans. Imagine tweaking an ARP 2600 for hours daily. :like:

Steve Coscia

Didn't realize they didn't even ship the Model D clone yet, lol

Nah, I stuck a note in my "Behringer ship dates keep slipping" thread, just to keep a record of the weirdness all in one place.

Hey, at least it's still one day earlier than the 1/13/18 date, right?

I'm going to hold off on ordering any of these newer offerings until I see the Model D. It'll give me a headache to have too many of these boogers floating in the wind, you know?

Grey

Didn't realize they didn't even ship the Model D clone yet, lol

Nah, I stuck a note in my "Behringer ship dates keep slipping" thread, just to keep a record of the weirdness all in one place.

Hey, at least it's still one day earlier than the 1/13/18 date, right?

I'm going to hold off on ordering any of these newer offerings until I see the Model D. It'll give me a headache to have too many of these boogers floating in the wind, you know?

Grey

I forgot about that other thread - havne't been reading it at all - found out about the shipping date thing on another forum.

I'm sure they'll work out the shipping stuff, though what I've read about their Deepmind synths has been less than stellar, as far as build quailty.

True, but then many organs guitars are still copying the sound and playing interface of an organ guitars first produced in 1935 1954.

PS- no snark intended, just noting that is true for a lot of instruments. We won't even get into the piano or violin...Lots of humans are very change averse.

I forgot about that other thread - havne't been reading it at all - found out about the shipping date thing on another forum.

I'm sure they'll work out the shipping stuff, though what I've read about their Deepmind synths has been less than stellar, as far as build quailty.

I don't know what the estimated shipping dates are at retailers other than Musician's Friend. They tend to give slightly different dates. If someone has different shipping dates, feel free to start logging them in the other thread. I'm deriving a perverse pleasure in watching them slosh back and forth like the tides. They've changed at least five or six times that I know of. MF and Guitar Center tend to track fairly well, seeing as how they're the same company--or at least they did the last time I looked at GC. Sweetwater or others tend to have other dates. Whether they're stable or not, I don't know.

I'm kinda-sorta mildly interested in a Deepmind. If one shows up used and it's cheap enough I might take a whack at it. Any details on quality problems? Are they severe enough that I should avoid getting one?

Grey

They posted slots (without pictures) at their website with info about supposed upcoming synths. All vaporware at the moment.

Wasp Deluxe (Eurorack)

ARP 2600 (6U Rackmount)

Cat (Eurorack)

Synthi VCS3

SH-101 Black/grey/blue 32 key synth

MS-20 (Eurorack)

Behringer Synth Page

Busch.

I can't see those slots. Maybe just a brief teaser?

I look at this beyond the initial GAS, because it would be semi-sinful not to really dig into a VCS3 or 2600. Even if a great clone is a mere $300 or so, it still requires the same hands-on time as the original. I cut my teeth on some of the originals, so I'm naturally curious to watch things unfold, but there's a big difference between someone who owns twelve vintage synths/clones and someone who plays the hell out of just four. Meanwhile, I'll see if I live long enough to play Uli's first full Bamaha CS-81.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

IEven if the sound is thin like the D12 the prices are hard to beat.

But I can guarantee the CAT wont even be close.

ARP2600 should be okay sine the Moog is a solid 3 Osc design.

Dual Osc from Behringer just aint Fat enough.

Maybe it will be better than D12.

V

Cant go wrong for softsynths prices though.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived