Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Artis 7 vs. Nord Electro 5D

heavy_keys

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Artis7 is much more flexible in almost every way. But Nord sounds better for piano and organ, and allows you load your own custom samples, and has a bit more of a "fun factor" for real-time sound tweaking. Also weighs less. Artis7 advantages include better "rompler" sounds (strings, brass, etc.) largely by virtue of employing velocity-switched samples (something Nord only does in its Piano section), built in VA synth (though most editing is only available via computer), patch remain, 4 zones (with split points wherever you want them), ability to mix and match pretty much any sound combination you want (Nord's 2-way splits/layers require that one sound must always be a piano or an organ), pitch and mod wheels, lots of MIDI controller functions, much better user patch recall (Nord has 4 direct patch select buttons with a wheel to scroll through banks, Kurz has 16 direct patch select buttons with one-button select of 16 banks, plus 10 favorites).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I actually have both. I find they compliment each other well in a rig.

AnotherScott did a great job of summarizing the Artis. The Nord and Artis are really "apples and oranges" to my mind; it's hard to compare them against each when they really do different things and have different specializations.

I think the piano sounds on the Artis are perfectly fine. There aren't as many options as the AP library from Nord offers, but I use both instruments for my AP sounds depending on what I'm doing. I've come to realize that I am NOT a person that cares about the minute details of a piano sample; playing mostly rock in a band does not necessitate that level of realism that others here can hear.

How would you be using one of these yourself? Give us some more details....

Please elaborate a bit on the piano sound. I find it a bit thin in this video...

I honestly can't find a decent youtube demo concerning it's piano patches. Is it night and day against Forte?

The Artis7 has, I believe, a 128 mb version of the much larger Forte Steinway sample, and the Forte also has a large Yamaha sample that the Artis7 doesn't have at all. (Both also have the old legacy Kurz piano sounds as well.) The Artis7 piano is nice, but I like some of Nord's better, and Nord also gives you many more to choose from.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived