Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

one handed keyboard

alecras234

One option to consider, if you are not playing in a band, would be to learn to use some mixing software, and to record a song via multitrack recording. There are versions of mixing software which run on a Windows PC, and on a Mac. You could record track 1 playing the bass guitar sound, then record a track 2 to contain the keyboard sound. If the keyboard sound was complicated, you could record across multiple tracks, and have the combination of those tracks produce the sound you want to create in your mind. If your electronic keyboard can create guitar sounds, you could also record a track with guitar sounds. This method of layering multiple tracks, one at a time, is used in making a lot of the recordings made today.

Some pop/rock songs have more than two keyboard sounds in them. It is very common to have acoustic piano and a B3 organ in the same song.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, what "people" do, or even what they they on the "keyboard," isn't the whole story here, right? You are in the process of inventing an approach to the instrument that maximizes your own personal abilities. So whatever you come up with that works for you, is going to be correct, since you are a sample size of one.

With only one hand, and reliably only two fingers, I would say it's probably not going to be constructive to try playing bass and lead. But it's impossible to know for sure. My overarching advice would be to keep seeing what works best for you and don't worry about getting it "right," since your rules for "right" are going to be a bit different than any general statement someone might make.

Not to compare in any way, believe me, but: I have 9.75 fingers. I lost part of my pinky in an accident when I was a kid. My piano teacher taught me to play octaves with my thumb and fourth finger instead. In the end, probably some time as a grown-up, I abandoned that. But that's a case where, what's "right" is meaningless, she had to help me come up with "what's right for me, given me."

We all do that; our personal styles are a result of both our sensibilities and our strengths. You already have the ambition and a strong sense of what you want to hear and how you want to get there. Now you just have to experiment to find the way of getting there, that plays to your strengths. That's different for everyone. You'll get there...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived