Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Hot Rod Deluxe

desertbluesman

Up for sale to someone local in the Phoenix Area. The new tubes did not accomplish a single thing. The tubes that were in it are probably in great shape.

phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/msg/6416415166.html

Boo Hoo Hoo. Best sounding guitar amp I ever owned. But when I took it out of the house the dang thing was HEAVY so I would rather sell it and Get me a nice LIGHTWEIGHT Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head to back up the one I already have. Plus I have another EVM12L in a 1-12 cabinet to go with the new head (as I do for the present one).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's not the tubes there's not a whole lot else that can be the problem. That leaves some caps, resistors or transformers to check out. A transformer pretty much works, or it doesn't. Resistors are in spec or out of spec. A cap can definitely go wrong. I'd check those first.
Scott Fraser

Too bad it still does not work. I hate to give up something that I like and has worked well for me but sometimes it is the only thing that makes sense. Still might make sense to spend a few bucks to have it checked by a tech. Might be cheaper than you think. Jim

Local Fender repair shop says 50 bucks to bench test it. If I can't sell it for my asking price I will take it there for a look see, and maybe some mods like an audio taper volume pot on the clean channel, and maybe a mute the highs a bit on the drive channel if it ain't too costly. And probably get a cap job if that ain't too costly.

For what it's worth, just because you bench test it for $50 bucks doesn't mean you're out $50 bucks. You may find those resistors Bluesape talked about lying flat on the PCB can be easily fixed with a new resistor up an 1/8 of an inch or so. You may find a cap that can be easily fixed. You already know it's not the tubes. Worse comes to worse, you just add the $50 bucks to your price and tell the new buyer what it needs...just a thought. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I had a friend ask me to look at a Fender combo amp (don't remember the model). The problem was literally just that one of the pins of one of the pots was just a little too close to another one and it was shorting out. I bent it a little and it worked fine.

Not the problem in your case, of course, but my point is only that sometimes it can be something really minor, and you don't know until you get it checked out. It could be $50 well spent.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

What's the symptoms? The IC caps in the Hot Rods are utter shit. The production power supply is undersized to begin with and if the caps in the power supply start to drift you will tell it. There is a 'Mod' call power stiffening. I don't consider it a mod. I call it finish building the power supply. The PCB is already marked for the additional power supply filter caps Fender removed from the production amp. It was like the engineers designed a really nice amp then the marketing guys had it stripped out to hit a GC required price point. If you start chugging a bunch of bottom end strings like a heavy Texas shuffle the power supply can't keep up and it can get farty. The filter caps need to be beefed up in order to store enough voltage to operate the amp.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

From the Amp Tech (amp to go in Monday the 18th, @ a reasonable price.)

"Hi Dave,

Those amps have a laundry list of little issues, many of which could cause those symptoms.

I charge a flat $125 to go through one and make it solid - fix all the problems it has and preemptively fix everything else. If the power supply caps are bad, then add $75 for $200 total.

If you'd like to bring the amp in, I'll pop open the back panel while you're here and we can go over everything. Or if you'd just like to discuss all the work I'm suggesting, feel free to give me a call.

If you are able to get the amp in mon/Tuesday next week, I should be able to have it ready before Christmas when we'll probably close the shop for a couple days.

All the best,

Lowell

Hunt Amplification LLC

2202 W. Lone Cactus Dr. Suite #4

Phoenix, AZ 85027

623-236-9096

www.huntamps.com"

@ DBM, I think $125 to make that baby right would be a good way to go and even if the caps are bad $200 is not that far out of line. You know you love the sound of that amp and you won't find another one that's any better for $200. Wonder what he'll charge to change the caps at a later date (if needed)? You can save those new tubes and you'll be good for 10 years or so. My American made Hot Rod DeVille is still working fine and it was rode hard by a pro back in the day when I bought it used for 3 or 4 hundred. I did put new tubes in it about 5 years ago and had my tech bias it. My Hot Rod Deluxe MIM needs nothing for now but if it ever takes a crap, Your estimate gives me a good idea of how much it should cost to put it back in line! Good luck! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Just replace all the gray and black IC brand caps with something decent. If they aren't bad they will be. After about 7 years things thing start getting wonky. Have the additional filter caps added to the power supply. When he opens up the amp you will see where they go the PCB is marked for the parts. If the tech knows Hot Rods He will know what to do. It will really help the bottom end.

Just replace all the gray and black IC brand caps with something decent. If they aren't bad they will be. After about 7 years things thing start getting wonky. Have the additional filter caps added to the power supply. When he opens up the amp you will see where they go the PCB is marked for the parts. If the tech knows Hot Rods He will know what to do. It will really help the bottom end.

Wow CEB. Didn't know that Great advice.

Those amps sound pretty good new but capacitors dry up over time. All of them eventually do. Components drift. Fender built those with bare bones components. Especially the power supply section. The good thing is the transformer is adequate. Low end chugging drains the power supply capacitors faster than anything else.

@ DBM, I think $125 to make that baby right would be a good way to go and even if the caps are bad $200 is not that far out of line.

Yep it is the best way to go. I think the prices he gave me are spot on decent. Since I was an estimator in the construction biz, I know costs, and his costs have to dictate his prices, which are real reasonable. I was kinda surprised he could do the job at that cost truthfully, to go over the amp and fix everything and even fix other common weaknesses that may happen in the design is very reasonable. From his e-mail I assume he has done a bunch of these Mexican made HRD's, and knows their strengths and weaknesses fairly well. We shall see next week.

Just talked to the amp tech, he sounded like a stand up guy with excellent advice. Appointment on Monday. He will open up the amp and go through it with me there... That gives me a good feeling about his business sense. He even offered to pick up the amp as we live in the same town, about 30 miles from his shop which made me think highly of his business practices. We shall see.......

Thanks CEB. The amp guy sounds reasonable. (just talked to him on the phone) He will open the amp up when I bring it to him, and go over it while I am there. And whatever he thinks is probably going to be the way I go.

Archived