Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trade Rhodes for Wurlitzer?

... it's simply a thicker, fatter and richer sound. You notice it instantly! No ifs ands or buts about it. If you have ears, it's not even debatable. It's not a snob thing at all but sonically and the feeling you get when you play an instrument at the level of Ken Rich's -- it's like playing a top level grand piano.

What you said is not something I am debating at all.

However, it does not change my position on the issue as I presented it, particularly with regards to gigging... which has to do with schlepping keyboards to stages... (which was the issue I was responding to: "having a digital instrument on stage") ... and didn't have anything to do with playing special vintage instruments in private environments.

a) The world isn't just about gigging.

d) For some bands/players, having a digital instrument on stage is antithetical to the image they're trying to create.

There's something about the weird conflation between these two statements that bugged me, and provoked the reply. If the world isn't just about gigging, then aren't the "embarrased to have a digital keyboard onstage" players ... ummm ... gigging? If so, do they want to create an image of themselves as a Steinway player in a private parlor, rather than as a keyboardist in a band?

I'm a pretty easy going guy, and I love to hear stories about people here who are having other experiences besides gigging... like digging into some restored vintage EP boards, or Steinways, or Hammonds. Nothing wrong with that.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

• 1 year later...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the story continues!!! Pretty much right after posting I went to go hang out with a buddy, and as I'm pulling up I get a call from the shop. The owner felt bad and was looking online for stuff, and it turns out that another store in their network (it is a franchise store, but locally owned and operated type ordeal) with a Wurlitzer for $1000 dollars all the way across the country in North Carolina, and its been professionally serviced by a wurlitzer specific shop. I told him I'd made peace with it, but the whole idea originally hinged on what he'd give me for my Rhodes, I knew the conditions didn't match and it wouldn'tb e a straight trade. Enlisted my friend to help me load my Rhodes into my car as we were headed to that part of town anyways and took off to see what kind of deal we ended up with.

After showing him the Rhodes he offered at first $500 for it, but that he'd pay shipping on the Wurlitzer. I told him that the least I was willing to part with the Rhodes for was $600, I made my mind up on that yesterday. He agreed to let me pay $400+tax for the Wurlitzer and he'll pay to ship it out. Basically, I end up with the original deal I would have and he's paying air shipping on the Wurlitzer (he said its safer than truck, and if he's willing to shell out more, I'm down with it). No money has left my pocket yet, he said he wants to make sure the Wurli gets here safe.

I'm still kind of miffed by the way things originally went down, but he covered his ass quickly enough for me to not get out and talk shit on him or his shop to anyone other than my bandmates who had heard how excited I was about the wurlitzer. Not sure how he didn't manage to hold it in the first place, but all's well that ends well. Its not over till I have a quality Wurlitzer in the back of my car, but at least it seems like I AM getting one.

Just came across this post while doing a bit of Wurly research. To put your $600 trade in perspective: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wurlitzer-200A-Electronic-Piano-w-Warneck-Research-EP200A-VariVib-Serviced/273819559357?hash=item3fc0eae5bd:g:U5UAAOSw~HJcwlsy

Just came across this post while doing a bit of Wurly research. To put your $600 trade in perspective: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wurlitzer-200A-Electronic-Piano-w-Warneck-Research-EP200A-VariVib-Serviced/273819559357?hash=item3fc0eae5bd:g:U5UAAOSw~HJcwlsy
Yeah, after seeing some similarly-priced listings online, I was relieved when I found my Wurli (with legs, sustain pedal, and road case) for $1200... the action's always been a little chunkier than some that I've played, but I know I'd spend at least that much again to have Vintage Vibe do a restoration job. I bet that one on eBay sounds and feels REALLY nice... but too rich for my blood. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

"There's something about the weird conflation between these two statements that bugged me, and provoked the reply. If the world isn't just about gigging, then aren't the "embarrased to have a digital keyboard onstage" players ... ummm ... gigging?"

BB's two statements aren't mutually exclusive. His list is a list of things that could dissuade someone using something other than the real thing.

"The "image they're trying to create" is all in their heads,"

Yep, that's what "image" is, and it's important enough for them to want to lug around a 100 pound something instead of a 20 pound something

Everyone is entitled to set their own dividing line between what they consider a necessary level of authenticity and a necessary level of convenience. For some people, it really matters and for others it doesn't, and that's fine for each person. It's always a source of barroom conversation and jokes whenever someone's line is way different than yours, and as long as no one throws any punches or insults anyone's mother, a splendid time could be had by all.

A dear friend of mine in the UK, who's in a band that has a loyal but small following when it plays gigs in bars and cafes, loves his Mellotron to death. It's ancient, falling apart despite his best efforts to keep it running, and frankly sounds like ass, but he loves it and can't bear the thought of playing without it, even to the point of lugging it to France in a van on the Chunnel train to play it for a half-hour set. It frequently fails on stage and has to be repaired midsong. His fans don't seem to mind.

Robert Fripp, whose band is one of the most famous Mellotron-using musical projects in history and which plays dates to packed theaters all over the world, is perfectly happy playing back Tron sounds from an iPad. His fans don't seem to mind.

(On topic: I'm a Wurly guy myself, mainly because a 200A was what my bands had when I was gigging out in the 1970s and 1980s, but I do love me some Rhodes.)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music