Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Wish There Was An App For That

BbAltered

I wish there was an app that would identify a song when the melody is whistled or sang or hummed. I need something like this for those times when I know the melody but not the name.

I heard a nice arrangement of an Xmas tune on my jazz radio station, but I do not know the name of the tune. So I'm stuck hearing this un-named melody going thru my head.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Google is your friend.

I wish there was an app that would identify a song when the melody is whistled or sang or hummed. I need something like this for those times when I know the melody but not the name.
Reading the OP closely is yours. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As much as I love where this is going, SoundHound suggests that it offers what the OP is looking for... and it's in the link that Synthoid posted... so... yeah.

However, in the real world, most of this shit doesn't work. That being said, give SoundHound a shot and see for yourself whether it helps or not.

I heard a nice arrangement of an Xmas tune on my jazz radio station, but I do not know the name of the tune. So I'm stuck hearing this un-named melody going thru my head.

I'll point out what should be obvious. If you recall roughly the time you heard it, go to the website for the station, and look for their playlist (our local Jazz station, Jazz.FM does this) and see if you can simply find the name/artist for the track that way.

Alternatively, if that doesn't exist, you can email/call the station, and they'll probably be able to tell you.*

Or is that too low tech? ;)

* don't expect this from your local machine-run corporate FM rock radio station... :snax:

in the real world, most of this shit doesn't work.
I've tried it and it didn't work for me, but I cannot account for my poor ability to match pitch...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'll point out what should be obvious. If you recall roughly the time you heard it, go to the website for the station, and look for their playlist (our local Jazz station, Jazz.FM does this) and see if you can simply find the name/artist for the track that way.

Alternatively, if that doesn't exist, you can email/call the station, and they'll probably be able to tell you.*

Or is that too low tech? ;)

* don't expect this from your local machine-run corporate FM rock radio station... :snax:

Maybe there's an app that can do that for you?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I worked in a couple of record stores back when and it was a moment of hilarious madness when a customer would try to sing or whistle a sought-after tune. It usually ended up sounding like someone sat on a duck, or had a lemon rind tucked in one cheek. Real horrorshow. I needed an app that yelled SHUT UP, YOU'RE TONE-DEAF! :pop::hitt:

The internet has devolved into five giant websites,
  each filled with screenshots of the other four.
     ~  Cory Doctorow

I worked in a couple of record stores back when and it was a moment of hilarious madness when a customer would try to sing or whistle a sought-after tune. It usually ended up sounding like someone sat on a duck, or had a lemon rind tucked in one cheek. Real horrorshow.

The internet never ceases to amaze me. Your post reminded me of a tv edisode I must have seen 20 years ago or more - 30 seconds and one google search later, and behold! -

[video:youtube]1EyadKDhgBU

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived