Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo (Dual Manual) Update v.2.4

Sven Golly

Hi Al; I did the install today as well. At first I didn't care for what I was hearing; phasey and not what I like, so I spent about a half hour adjusting parameters and it really brought it home.
listened late last night through headphones and heard the issues previously discussed. Personally, I still like the newer version better, and I don't own a Vent, so I'm keeping it as is. :)
:nopity:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A thought about using the Vent reference as the gold standard of sims:

I recently had a chance to play a Numa Organ 2 again. For rotary effect alone (apart from overdrive, for example), playing in mono as I do, I actually could not get the Vent to sound as good as the rotary effect in the Numa.

Some years back, people often talked about the Numa Organ sim as being (at the time) the only built-in sim that was Vent-competitive, and honestly, I didn't see it... I thought the Vent was much better than the rotary effect of the original Numa Organ. But I thought the sim in the Numa Organ 2 was a big step up from what was in the original Numa Organ. (Though I found the leakage in the original Numa much better than what's in the 2!)

I agree that the Numa 2 lelie sim is excellent. They did a great job on the entire instrument. Very solid, well build, high quality through-out and wonderful sounds.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Do you think Guido was serious about Crumar buying my Mojo from me?

I read it as sarcasm, John.

"Sarcasm"? Is that true Guido?

I would appreciate any help you can offer to help me sell it, if you are not interested in buying it? Maybe you will come in contact with a musician who does not have the means to buy new?

The instrument has not been played ( except once ) since it came back from your service center.. it is in perfect working condition.

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I fussed around a bit today with and without the Vent

Joe, thanks for posting your settings. I tried them and hear how you were changing the sound. Unfortunately, I still find the high notes unpleasant with the sim on fast.

Today I tried Generator Model 4 (B3 1956 *MT) set to 008000000 with CV, Percussion, and OD all off. Even with this simple sound I hear an unpleasing characteristic with the sim on fast when playing in the upper octave. I'm hearing something other than the note and the Leslie effect -- an additional component to the sound that makes me want to let go of the note quickly. When I switch over to the Vent 2 the same note sounds beautiful. The best I can describe what I'm hearing is that it sounds pure -- meaning I only hear the note and the Leslie effect. I tried the same test with my A100 and Leslie 145 and, as expected, it also sounded pure.

Guido,

Thank you for posting firmware 6.1. And I want to make sure you know that I still love my Mojo!

I did some more testing to try to better explain what I'm hearing. My setup is Generator Model 4 (B3 1956 *MT) set to 008000000 with CV, Percussion, and OD all off, through an SSV3. With the fast sim on, the sim effect on the top 13 notes varies. The second C from the top is in the same league as the Vent 2: all I hear is the note and the sim effect. Other notes sound different: for example, the highest E, F, and G have an additional component to the sound which I find undesirable. The second highest B sounds very good. The second highest F sounds unpleasant. It kind of sounds like there's some beating going on (i.e, like when something is almost in tune but a little off; like an almost good violin section) on the notes that sound unpleasant.

I repeated the same test through Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Some highlights and lowlights: the second B from the top sounds the best (i.e., is in the same league as the Vent 2) and the highest F# sounds very unpleasant.

I'm wondering if anybody else hears this.

Moe, I had the crosstalk at noon (i.e., 64). I just tried it turned down to the minimum, but as before I still hear an unpleasant sound on some notes but not all. Do you hear what I'm hearing on your Mojo?

I don't think it matters but perhaps should mention that I'm on firmware 2.5. It's my understanding that the firmware affects the buttons and knobs, but not the sound.

I'm also on firmware 2.5 and have no plans to install 6.whatever - I consider it a downgrade.

I still haven't run the latest Mojo update yet. My Mojo has been across town for weeks in the studio plugged into a real leslie.

I'll probably run it on my Mojo 61 first, and see if it allows me to quit using a Vent.

Moe

---

• 2 months later...
I installed v.2.4 and wanted to love it, but am sorry to report I do not :(

Well, 3 months later and I must report that I am no longer using the internal sim of the Mojo in my home studio. It's very good, but I have better options. Love my Mojo, really love my Mojo, but it sounds more correct to my ears either through my Vent II or my Leslie Studio 12. I am a happy guy, no longer chasing the perfect clonewheel. Content with what I have. :thu:

:nopity:

Here are the options that I remember that have been added that aren't on the Gemini:

- a correction was made to the acoustic piano where the attack was shortened.

- An adjustment to the Clav for the release so that it was snappier (tied the release to the bottom sensor).

- There was also the sustain feature added to the organ.

- The improved leslie sim

Hope to see all of these adjustments. Also wish for a Tenor Sax for the Gemini. Probably will never see that.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

- An adjustment to the Clav for the release so that it was snappier (tied the release to the bottom sensor).

The correction to the acoustic piano was already done in the last update of July 2017, even though it wasn't explicitly listed in the release notes. And the fact that the Clavinet releases at the bottom sensor can't be done with the Gemini because... the Gemini isn't a keyboard.

The new release is done and is currently under testing, we will release it shortly as soon as we're sure that everything is ok.

Here are the options that I remember that have been added that aren't on the Gemini:

- There was also the sustain feature added to the organ.

- The improved leslie sim

Hope to see all of these adjustments. Also wish for a Tenor Sax for the Gemini. Probably will never see that.

I'm really hoping for that organ sustain.

Purist's, don't crucify me, it's useful in certain situations.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

FWIW, I'm also using firmware 2.5.

Same here.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived