Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo (Dual Manual) Update v.2.4

Sven Golly

I criticiqued the version and was perceived as criticizing the brain behind ( Zio ?) the Mojo.. and got banned from the yahoo support group. Things went downhill from there.

Please let me clarify that NEITHER I (Guido) NOR ANYONE ELSE FROM CRUMAR DO NOT OWN NOR ADMINISTRATE ANY OFFICIAL NOR UNOFFICIAL GROUP/FORUM/MAILING-LIST RELATED TO CRUMAR. So, be it clear ONCE and FOREVER, Mr. John Giulino, that YOU'VE NOT BEEN BANNED BY ME.

I think I owe this clarification because *some people* may easily misunderstand at my own disavantage.

I am selling dual manual Mojo.

I'm buying it!

I am down ( it is a good thing, a true statement ) with your explanation about Yahoo group action and fact that you were not personally involved in Yahoo group, nor in my being banned.

Now... I have only played Mojo once since it left Italy about 3 years ago. It has always been in its case in decent temperature environment. Can you help me sell it.. or do you wish to buy it back?

That would be a great Christmas present.

Bass pedals and Burn are literally never used.

Thank you for clarification.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is somewhat OT, but I raise the issue because it relates obliquely to the update process:

I really wish it were possible to access the Mojo's USB ports without having to remove the metal panel. At home, it's not a big deal. But I find this to be somewhat of a problem on gigs, where I like to use the editor to tweak things to conform to the acoustics of the venue. Unfortunately, I regularly wind up dropping the bolt that holds the panel on, and then having to search for it on the grungy floor of some badly lit bar. Yuck.

Has anyone come up with a clever work-around? I know nothing about anything, but it seems like it should be possible to (a) get a local metal shop to cut a hole in the access panel and then (b) get some sort of "USB port extender" (if such a thing exists) to bridge the gap between the hole and the internal port. Does this sound feasible?

get a local metal shop to cut a hole in the access panel and then (b) get some sort of "USB port extender" (if such a thing exists) to bridge the gap between the hole and the internal port. Does this sound feasible?

I would be concerned about the "USB port extender" getting bumped and damaging the motherboard. I do understand your concern, just the design of the board doesn't accommodate it.

:nopity:

One thing that I did with my Mojo is I bought a USB cable with an angled end and connected it to the motherboard and then ran it through the gap between the keybed and the drawbar panel. This allowed me to plug the editor in and I velcroed it to the metal panel. I could remove the editor and just leave the 2" cable sticking out to the right of the upper manual. Worked for me.

One thing that I did with my Mojo is I bought a USB cable with an angled end and connected it to the motherboard and then ran it through the gap between the keybed and the drawbar panel. This allowed me to plug the editor in and I velcroed it to the metal panel. I could remove the editor and just leave the 2" cable sticking out to the right of the upper manual. Worked for me.

That's another clever idea that never would have occurred to me. Thanks.

Not the only or best place to post this, but since it has a relation,

Does the Leslie sim update carryover to mojo 61?
it does now...

Hurry up! Go update your Mojo61 now! This is the new firmware with the new Rotary Sim refinements (same as Mojo VB3CE2 v2.4)!

Enjoy your Crumar instrument!

http://www.crumar.it/?a=support&b=34

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's another clever idea that never would have occurred to me. Thanks.

Ken, that is really clever. Going to take a close look when I get home tonight. Brilliant!

I installed v.2.4 and wanted to love it, but am sorry to report I do not :(

In particular, the upper octave of 888000000 with the sim on Fast is not pleasing to my ears: there's something electronic / shrill in the sound that causes me to not want to hold notes in that register for long. I tried it through my studio monitors and then the SS V3. I was hoping to leave my Vent 2 at home but I'm going to continue to use it on gigs. Still love my Mojo and appreciate all of Guido's great work.

I installed it as well. When I play a chord held down in stop mode, I get a very faint slow wah-wah-wah phasing type sound. Have no idea if its the update or an artifact of the stereo SFX technology in my Fender KB200. Other than that, it sounds better to my ears.

My Mojo has 2 allen screws holding on the back panel; I leave them just hand tight and easy enough to loosen one screw, then remove the other for access on a gig. I close it up again to transport. Try finding some thumb type screws from either a good hardware store, or a big box store. Bring one of your screws in to match the threads, and it's always a good idea to buy a couple spares. Joe.

Hi Al; I did the install today as well. I plugged into my KP 500. At first I didn't care for what I was hearing; phasey and not what I like, so I spent about a half hour adjusting parameters and it really brought it home. Will take a listen tomorrow with fresh ears, and have my 122 sitting next to the Mojo so I'll do a A/B type test for hoots. Best, Joe.

Hey Al, in case you get back here before Joe does, he and I were PM'ing each other and he will post what he has come up with as soon as he can.

As for me, the update corrected the problem I was having with my half moon switch and I guess I was so happy about that correction I didn't listen critically enough. Plus my ears are not what they used to be. :(

In case one does not like it and did like it before : Can it be "downgraded " ? Because there is only one firmware for download. Just asking .

Yes. Previous version was 2.34. Just ask and you shall receive.

BTW, I suggest to perform a factory reset of all parameters and make sure that there's panel firmware 6.1 installed. Then, adjustments can be made starting from the default values.

To reset VB3CE2 there's a pop-down menu in the bottom right corner, select REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT and confirm to reboot.

I can't find firmware 6.1. I expected to find it on the Crumar website on the Mojo support page but don't see it there. Also tried the Mojo Yahoo forum but no luck there either.

I've made it available in the Mojo support page, here .

You'll have to download the firmware zip file and the Uploader utility. In the zip archive you'll also find a pdf that explains how to perform the update. This is done from MIDI, so you need your computer, either Win or Mac.

Consider that the panel firmware 6.1 will remove some of the "hidden" functions of firmware 2.5 thus making it somehow limited, yet it makes the instrument easier to operate and less prone to unwanted misconfigurations. If you feel perfectly comfortable with the firmware 2.5, don't update.

I fussed around a bit today with and without the Vent I; amp I used was the MS kp 500. So from the top; vol 12:00, drive 11:00 (this gets the organ into the neighborhood of what the Vent does to boost signal level) click 11:00, reverb 9-10:00, bass 2:00, Treble 2-3:00.

I used Mitch's 56 B3, leakage 15, crosstalk 70, shape 63, complex wheels on, foldback on, old wires, all trims left on default 63, perc settings all at default of 63, all v/c settings default at 63, click & color default at 63, drive 2, bass decay 3, reverb digital, horn slow 100%, fast 99%, bass slow 99%, fast 99%, horn ramp up 125%, down 115%, bass ramp up 145%, down 150%, horn balance 63, ambi 70, cabinet 70, mic angle 127, distance 127, horn eq 70, horn stop front, output split default 1, crossover 801, eq mid 56, gen shape boost 2.

I went back and forth between running through the Vent, then bypassing the Vent; after opening up the mic angle & distance I found what works for me. The Mojo sim spins great, but the Vent really separates the high & low "rotors" with amazing results. The Vent also acts like a great pre-amp booster in my opinion. I was able to mimic this boost by turning up the Mojo drive to 11:00 with the vent bypass activated. I too do not care for the new updated sim in its default mode; needs to be tamed in my opinion. Of course your amplification will make a big difference. I also plugged into my CPS, no sub, results were pretty good, but the MS kp500 is in another league. As always ymmv. Joe

Joe, thanks for taking the time to post this it is much appreciated. :2thu::cheers:

Taking your word about the KP 500, however I don't have the funds for another amp at this time.

Do love my Mojo through the SS3 with a small subwoofer. :thu:

I am selling dual manual Mojo.

I'm buying it!

:roll: That will solve a lot for you! ;)

Do you think Guido was serious about Crumar buying my Mojo from me?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

A thought about using the Vent reference as the gold standard of sims:

I recently had a chance to play a Numa Organ 2 again. For rotary effect alone (apart from overdrive, for example), playing in mono as I do, I actually could not get the Vent to sound as good as the rotary effect in the Numa.

Some years back, people often talked about the Numa Organ sim as being (at the time) the only built-in sim that was Vent-competitive, and honestly, I didn't see it... I thought the Vent was much better than the rotary effect of the original Numa Organ. But I thought the sim in the Numa Organ 2 was a big step up from what was in the original Numa Organ. (Though I found the leakage in the original Numa much better than what's in the 2!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived