Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(OT?) Forward phrasing

Floyd Tatum

Most jazz singers back-phrase, some more than others. (For those learning about jazz, note that this is not the same as playing behind the beat, although I guess they're similar in a way). Betty Carter used to back-phrase around the block, for example.

João Gilberto, on the other hand, forward-phrases. It's always a bit of a shock to me, I'm so used to hearing people back-phrase, or just phrase neither back nor ahead. I guess there must be other singers (especially Brazilian) that also do this sometimes, but you can pick just about any João Gilberto track, and he's doing it. He did it so much on the Jobim song Retrato Em Branco E Preto (aka Zingaro aka Portrait in Black and White), that they dropped bars from his arrangement (I'm assuming he did that deliberately).

He's not just playing 8th notes before the beat, it goes way beyond that. It's just the way he hears things, I guess.

Not so much with Stan Getz (although a bit), but listen to him on any of his own records. Moreso on later records, I think, although not positive about that. Every time I hear him, I notice this. I'm not judging it one way or the other, just making an observation.

Here, listen for yourself. I picked him on a well known standard, I Wish You Love.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for this smart observation. I never put it together.

Do you know who the arranger was?

BTW here is the other side of the coin.

Way behind the beat. Joe was inspired by this singer, Little Jimmy Scott.

[video:youtube]

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

One doesn't have to look very far in jazz singers for examples of back-phrasing, as I mentioned. There's plenty of examples.

Forward-phrasing is a little more unusual.

Agree

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived