Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nektar Panorama P1 - thoughts?

Rod S

Saw a few mentions in threads but not a lot of specifics whether people like it or not.

At least from manufacturer's information it seems to have a pretty sweet integration with Logic (not only transport/mixer but also the soft-synths). What is people's experience on this?

David (EscapeRocks)- I noticed you have the keyboard, this should be the same minus the keybed... thoughts?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't got one but have thought about it a number of times. I am interested in whether users find it makes software feel more like hardware. My experience with other controllers is that I still reach for the mouse as its usually quicker and the hardware control is never the one I actually want. I know the P1 takes some of the mapping pain away but still imagine it involves scrolling of controller pages

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

I tried both the P1 and P4 for a few days at home as a controller for Bitwig. (You're right: the P1 is essentially a P4 w/o keys, except that the P4/P6 also have one 100mm motorized fader--a nice touch that I wish had made it onto the P1.)

The integration was great with Bitwig, and I would imagine the experience would be similar with Logic. I was really impressed by how quickly I could page through and perform routine DAW tasks. Big thumbs up on the software engineering.

As for the hardware, the plastic quotient was pretty high, but it still felt sturdy enough for a project studio. The faders were adequate for routine mixing, drawbars, etc., and the rotary encoders felt nice. My only gripe was the display, where I think they foolishly skimped in choosing something anachronistically small and grainy. I found myself looking back at my monitor constantly, and for me that was the dealkiller given the P1's intended purpose. But if you're less fussy about the display (my eyes are not the best), it might be a nice add to your workflow.

B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

David (EscapeRocks)- I noticed you have the keyboard, this should be the same minus the keybed... thoughts?

Rod, I do not have one. I did just get a Nektar Impact LX88+ because it was an inexpensive semi-weighted 88 note controller.

It's built in mapping for Logic is really good, although I don't use it in that mode much.

So far it has been flawless in controlling Mainstage, as everything on the LX88 is assignable.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Rod, I do not have one. I did just get a Nektar Impact LX88+ because it was an inexpensive semi-weighted 88 note controller.

It's built in mapping for Logic is really good, although I don't use it in that mode much.

So far it has been flawless in controlling Mainstage, as everything on the LX88 is assignable.

Thanks, I though you had a P4 which is similar as Irena pointed out. Good feedback.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

As for the hardware, the plastic quotient was pretty high, but it still felt sturdy enough for a project studio. The faders were adequate for routine mixing, drawbars, etc., and the rotary encoders felt nice. My only gripe was the display, where I think they foolishly skimped in choosing something anachronistically small and grainy. I found myself looking back at my monitor constantly, and for me that was the dealkiller given the P1's intended purpose. But if you're less fussy about the display (my eyes are not the best), it might be a nice add to your workflow.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting, I haven't seen this comment yet about the display (my sight isn't great either, presbyopia worsening with age!). Good to know the build quality feels good.

My main use will be Logic, and the videos show they've done a lot of work on it since they first version. I heard the set-up is cumbersome (SOS review and others) but once you get it going they say it works perfectly.

I took the plunge and got one. Should be receiving it at the end of this week. I have some time off now with the holidays and should have time to setup it up (my checklist is getting huge, though). I'll post a review when I get a chance.

MBP-LOGIC

Archived