Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia V-Collection 6 announced

johnchop

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SEM, Solina, Matrix-12, Synclavier, CS-80 -- just off the top of the head -- sound very authentic to me. The others are close enough as they live and breathe, which the original versions from Arturia didn't. Lots of progress by Arturia over the years.

I would still say that Korg Legacy Collection comes the closest to matching the originals, and probably Roland's stuff as well but I haven't bought into it yet as I'm waiting to see if they offer perpetual licenses on the new stuff or are switching to subscription-only.

I've never owned or played a "real" Vox Continental or Farfisa, so can't state with certainty that they are close matches. I find them musical, useful, and very flexible for programming (again, I do not tend to use presets).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Am busy re-tracking all my Arturia stuff after buying the upgrade tonight, and havent even tried the new instruments yet.

ASTOUNDING! So far, Prophet, CS-80, and Synclavier are WAY more organic than before. Filter envelopes are MUCH tighter!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As big an improvement as the CS-80, is the Modular. Basses especially, due to the significantly tightened envelope in the new TAE engine.

Jupiter parts sound rounder and more fluid, and finally have square waves that sound correct to Roland tradition.

The DX7 blew me away, when I started comparing chromatic percussion and bells between it and FM8, using the same SysEx files.

Arturia's emulation sounds like a live player, and every nuance of dynamics is captured, with realistic DX7 decay and resonance.

FM8 sounds more "modern" and might be the better tool for sound design, due to all the extra features, stereo vs. mono, etc.

No problem in owning both, but the Arturia plug-in will now be my default go-to when I'm going for actual vintage DX7 sounds.

SEM is greatly improved as well.

I have a sync pulse patch with detuning, and in the previous version, the "beats" caused by the harmonics being deliberately misaligned were too strong compared to the fundamental, but now they sit at exactly the expected ratio and add the desired rhythmic pulse without obscuring or muddying the main line.

Well, I have now re-tracked everything that uses Arturia plug-ins (probably over 60 tracks altogether), and the improvements are across-the-board with the synths, combo organs, and the Solina (not sure how to categorize).

It is easy to see how these improvements are all due to higher resolution filters, as the kinds of sounds that I use and/or create are heavily dependent on tight envelopes -- especially as I tend to have a lot of layered parts.

Even in a dense mix, the improvements are noticeable as there is no mud buildup as before, and it is easier to have a synth sit in the background and be consistently heard at a lower volume.

I have not yet tried the new offerings, except for the DX-7, or the revision of the Piano VI. Nor did I try the electric pianos, as I had by now replaced my usage of the Wurly and Rhodes with sample libraries that are recent.

I wonder what happened to Brass, which changed significantly from release to release even in which instruments it modeled? Maybe they gave up on it once Sample Modeling entered the picture, figuring they can't compete with that? Or perhaps V4 is coming at some point?

I have the V-Collection 5 already. When I log into my account, if offers me the upgrade for $199. Just wondering if I wait a bit if they'll offer it for $99. It's happened before. After I bought a MiniLab several years ago, I got an email offer a couple of weeks later for the V-Collection 4 for $199. I later upgraded that to V5 for $99. Something is telling me to hold off for a bit and be patient. That, or I'm losing my mind ... oh wait ... that ship already sailed!

Not to stray too far OT, but after reading the thread about Hardware vs Software, I'm tempted to treat myself to u-he Repro-1 while he's offering the Repro-5 for free with it (until December 31st). From that thread (and the attached GS thread) it sounds to me like Urs has outdone himself with this one. I really gotta quit reading those!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Just to reiterate, you get ALL of the updates for free, except the Piano as that is a re-do of sorts. No need to upgrade unless you want the revised Piano or the four newbies. Otherwise, just launch your update center!

I somewhat regret buying re-Pro 1, as I couldn't get the sounds I needed out of it. But I make my own patches and was trying to reproduce legacy patches of mine. I downloaded the re-Pro 5 beta and feel it's much better.

If you want to be BLOWN AWAY by a recent emu, get Xils-Lab's PolyMoog VI, called PolyM:

https://www.xils-lab.com/products/polym-p-160.html

I was an early bird so got it for probably half price as I recall. This is the best VI that I've ever heard. Not the sound that I want except in special circumstances, or else it would be at the top of my list of most-used synths at the moment.

If you can afford it, get the PolyM and the Arturia V6 upgrade. Best synth products of 2017 IMHO.

The PolyM is starting to replace a fair number of my synth brass, synth voice, and synth strings pads and patches that I might otherwise have grabbed from a Prophet or from a "String Machine" category of keyboards.

It's silky when you want it to be, and nasty when you don't. :-) I never had an opportunity to play an original PolyMoog, but it has long been one of my three most sought-after sounds from what I have heard on albums since the 70's (the ARP 2600 and the minimoog being the other two).

I went to my software center and got all the updates a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I think maybe Analog Lab 3 update will let me at least hear the new synths. I really would like the CMI and DX7 and the Piano and Clav would be an improvement I'm sure.

Looking at that xils-lab Polymoog is killing me. One synth I always wanted to get my hands on too. I have their XILS3 (virtual Synthi VCS 3) and need to update that to the XILS 4. I got it because the Synthi always facinated me.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I would say that if you have v5, there's no need for v6 if you really want the updated Piano and the new Clavinet. Unless you want to go deep into customization territory, the Analog Lab v3 (free update for v2 owners) presets for these instruments are more than adequate, and the tweak options are varied enough to get a range of tones out of them.

Now that I've lived with them a while, the grand pianos have really grown on me and are quite nice to play. I take back my previous assessment that they are somehow "a little behind Pianoteq". They offer a different flavor, with a little more punch, presence, and less mid-range artificiality that used to plague PTeq. So, color me impressed.

The uprights ... not so much.

As for the Clavinet, I've never had the pleasure (?) of playing a real one. I just know that what's on offer via Analog Lab would be more than adequate for laying down the grease in a band situation.

I'm not moved to spring for the rest of the synths at this time.

I'm hoping a future rev puts some more cojones in the B3, especially the Leslie sim. It all feels a bit tame next to something like Blue3, and all the non-organ synth features (arps and mod matrix stuff) just feel out of place.

V-Collection still feels like a bit of a mixed bag, with some really bright spots.

I make software noises.

I have the V Collection 4, and recently I was prepared to pop for version 5. Getting the Minimoog diverted my attention slightly from that for a while ;):laugh: and now I'm glad I've waited.

I believe upgrading from Version 4 to version 6 is a better buy for my $200 than just going up one step. If anyone had told me 30 years ago that I could get a Fairlight and a Synclavier for $200 I never would have believed it. What a cool time to be into synths! :):keys2:

><>

Steve

Got the CMI V plugin a couple weeks ago. Even though I think it's a bit of a CPU hog, (Early 2011 MBPro i7 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD), it's a very inspiring VI, IMO. Hoping for enough coin to grab the whole V Collection while it's still on sale.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Yowsa, the Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 is IT, just as is its Juno-106 and the less well-known models that were emulated previously and are now part of the subscription.

I didn't have time to port my own patches from the Arturia Jupiter-8V, and may not bother and they're highly specialized and probably use "add-on" features not present in the more authentic Roland emulation.

At any rate, having owned Roland VariOS for a while, I can definitely state that this is NOT the same Jupiter-8 plug-in that was part of that earlier effort.

Thought I saw something earlier today about Roland adding the JV-1080 to the mix. Or is this old news?

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

They did that yesterday, I think, or whatever day I downloaded the collection (might have been Saturday).

Well done, Woody - thanks!

Didn't realize your were part of this forum...I love your youtube vids.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Made this demo with CMI V, the main brass sound was ES2 in Logic Pro X. I wanted to just have fun with this synth.

FROST BITE

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I'm tempted to buy the V collection, however this post inspired me to take a look and see if there were any updates to the Analog Lab software that came with my Laboratory controller years ago. Sure enough, they are up to version 3 (I was on version 2) so I downloaded that and installed. Wow. Huge improvement in workflow and sounds. This will tide me over just fine.

I agree that in general Arturia's analog emulations are not up to the level of the stuff from u-he as an example. However they have come a long way. The new versions of the Moog Modular, Prophet, and CS80 are very good. They really excel at the digital stuff, though. I am really tempted by the DX7V, just because I love FM synthesis and it really does sound about as close to a real DX7 as you can get (I have a classic brown DX7 right next to me as I type this). I never got into FM8, though it's great. But the DX7V is really inspiring to me.

Likewise, the Synclavier-V is great and the CMI V is really cool.

Does anyone know if they got a hold of the original code for the DX7 like they did for the Synclavier? I doubt Yamaha would give that up but then again, somehow they licensed the DX7 logo, right? Or is that no longer under copyright?

Does anyone know if they got a hold of the original code for the DX7 like they did for the Synclavier? I doubt Yamaha would give that up but then again, somehow they licensed the DX7 logo, right? Or is that no longer under copyright?

Not only the logo, but the product name, factory patches, the look and feel, they would need to license all this from Yamaha. they've already done a cs80 clone so it isn't the first time. I am in touch with one of the developers, I can ask for you...

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Well done, Woody - thanks!

Didn't realize your were part of this forum...I love your youtube vids.

Nice to hear that! yeah, been around here for ages, more than my post count would suggest, as it got wiped when the forum migrated years ago...

Made this demo with CMI V, the main brass sound was ES2 in Logic Pro X. I wanted to just have fun with this synth.

FROST BITE

nice track, definitely has the right vibe!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

They did that yesterday, I think, or whatever day I downloaded the collection (might have been Saturday).

I'm not seeing that the Roland JV-1080 is part of the V collection. It's not listed anywhere on the Arturia site. Are you sure that they added it? Or were you thinking of the Jupiter 8?

The JV-1080 VSTi is part of Roland Cloud, not Arturia. It is a DCB modeled version with the the original waveforms, actually all of the 1083 wavforms from the XV series, but only the patches from the orig JV-1080 for starters. It also has more insert effects, less than some XV synths, but more than others. The Rhythm kits are included too, in the last patch bank. It is 1 part multitimbral and 128 note polyphonic per instance.

I was referring to Roland Cloud, as people were comparing the relative quality of stuff in Arturia V-Collection vs. emulations of the same synths from other sources.

I bought the IV collection a few years ago, but to date I haven't used any of the instruments in a track. That's not a good thing.

BUT, if Artutia has improved the sound quality and efficiency of the older plugins, I might be interested in V6. The idea of a virtual Matrix 12 is enough to make me salivate, but it's pretty resource hungry (at least the version I have is).

I would also be interested in the DX7 as a complement to FM7/FM8.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Some excellent insight on the Arturias Fairlight, Clavinet, DX-7, and Buchla Easel c/o http://cdm.link/2017/12/arturias-fairlight-clavinet-buchla-easel-steal/ including links to youtube tutorials.

Pricing: 50% off the individual instruments makes them each US$/EUR 99, through January 10 only.

The full version of V Collection is US$/EUR 399 (normally 499), same.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived