Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reproducing synth sound from Marcus Miller tune on Electro?

Kawai James

Hello folks,

I was asked to sit in on a friends bands performance in a couple of weeks. One of the tunes he selected was Rampage by Marcus Miller:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDlyNGAxbQ

Its not really my cup of tea, but Ill try and help with the keyboard parts as best as I can.

I plan to use my Electro 3, so I intend to find a Nord sample that can get close to the layered synth sound used in the intro and the muted trumpet solos throughout the song.

Does anyone recognise this patch from 90s-era (?) boards, or better yet, can you suggest a Nord sample that gets close?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Kelly!

Ill check out that pad.

I should note that the muted trumpet parts will be played by a trumpeter...I just need to cover the keyboard parts underneath.

Cheers,

James

x

Thank you for your reply IMRT!

According to Google the album from which this song is take was released in 1993, however I gather the first Motifs were launched the early 2000s.

It could perhaps be from a Yamaha EX synth, but I'm not familiar with those boards.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

James

x

It could perhaps be from a Yamaha EX synth, but I'm not familiar with those boards.

No, too early for the Yamaha EX-5/7 - they were released first in 1998. If it is a Yamaha an SY-99 is more likely, but God knows what they were using on this track... :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Maybe this video will give some more clues:

[video:youtube]

One the keyboard players seems to be playing a Roland A-80 that's controlling a huge rack.

The guy to the left is playing a Roland JD-800 and an Ensoniq SD-1, but they both seem to control a bunch of rack synths - very hard to see what he has in there.

But for the main pad sound I would guess JD-800 layered with some other synth.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I only mentioned Yamaha because when fooling around at Guitar Center with a Motif I noted a sound that immediately reminded me of a Marcus Miller Padded sound on "The Sun Don't Lie".

[video:youtube]

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Thanks for the additional replies chaps.

Mr T, Sweden, the live video is actually the version that the bass player sent me to reference. However, it seems that the main synth parts (played by the guy on the left) will be played by a guitarist.

Nice job on ID-ing the gear, btw!

Cheers,

James

x

Archived