Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What could Roland do an MKS-70 for today ($$$)?

Sundown

Hey all,

Set aside SuperNatural, modeling, sampling, and little 9V synths with mini keys. Also set aside the (somewhat inflated) prices of used vintage analog gear.

If Roland did a true re-release of the MKS-70 Super JX rack, what could they sell it for today while still making a profit? Recall that it was a DCO/VCF/VCA architecture with 12 voices (and it sounded great).

Have manufacturing and technology outpaced inflation, and could this instrument sell for a reasonable price today?

What if they made a 24-voice version?

I know this is all pipe dreaming, but I'm cuious if circuit design has improved for a hybrid design like this.

Thanks in advance.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That many analog filters and amps would get pricey in a hurry. Although I guess the DM12 has proven that it's possible. Before that I wouldn't have thought it could be done for less than $2-3000

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Is the MKS-70 the rack version of the JX-10? One of favorite keyboards of all time!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Hey all,

Set aside SuperNatural, modeling, sampling, and little 9V synths with mini keys. Also set aside the (somewhat inflated) prices of used vintage analog gear.

If Roland did a true re-release of the MKS-70 Super JX rack, what could they sell it for today while still making a profit? Recall that it was a DCO/VCF/VCA architecture with 12 voices (and it sounded great).

Have manufacturing and technology outpaced inflation, and could this instrument sell for a reasonable price today?

What if they made a 24-voice version?

I know this is all pipe dreaming, but I'm cuious if circuit design has improved for a hybrid design like this.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder why people want the most simple synth designs as a remake today.

I owned both, the MKS80rev4 and MKS70 ... and sold both.

Don´t miss ´em.

MKS80 sounded much fatter than MKS70 though.

MKS70, even based on the "2x JX8P voice boards stacked in one box",- never offered the best filters Roland had available.

In fact, the filter and vca per voice are on a single chip in MKS70,- there are only 2 waveforms and the LFO isn´t freerun.

The main feature which made the JX10 and MKS70 a perfect pad-synth was using the machine in dual mode, both voiceboards detuned and same waveforms (sawtooth prefered) selected, then run each to dedicated stereo outputs A & B and have a individual stereo chorus for each output pair.

Truly a warm and lush sound all-in-all but w/ similar FX usage easy to recreate elswhere.

Every other sound designs you better did w/ different synths when you had such available at that time.

Today you have in native software already, or better, on DSP.

IMO the only Roland synths worth a remake are those using the Roland IR3109 and even there, several different circuit designs exist,- so I´d prefer a Jupiter-8 remake over a SH-101 or Juno-6 p.ex. and still wanted upgrades like more and individually to pitch, PW, VCF cutoff and VCF resonance assignable LFOs.

But that might cost a kingdom to realize for Roland and we might see such toys much earlier and cheaper from Behringer.

But I don´t need anyway,- get my analog sounds from Minimoog D and Oberheim Xpander and use S|C XITE w/ SCOPE for some DSP remakes, modular and others.

S|C SCOPE just upgraded w/ driver updates and including new devices.

clonk

A.C.

But that might cost a kingdom to realize for Roland and we might see such toys much earlier and cheaper from Behringer.

Let's get the Model D in the stores first. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Interesting. Thanks guys.

The Super JX/MKS-70 has a sentimental meaning to me, and it was one of the first pro synths that I heard up close and in-person. I'll never forget the sound of a fast, fat saw patch coming through the speakers for the first time.

I might pay $2,000 for a re-issue, but if it crept into $3K territory, I'd be looking at a Prophet-6 or OB-6 (despite the limited polyphony).

Sundown

... fat saw patch coming through the speakers for the first time.

Well, that came from 2 (two) chorus delay lines being active,- noisy ones though ...

I might pay $2,000 for a re-issue,...

I´d like to be tha manufacturer then ... !!!

A.C.

Yeah I think Jupiter 8 would be the reissue that would be in demand - but that's been discussed. For those who don't know, the MKS80 would seem similar to the Jupiter 8 but in fact is more like an 8 voice version of the Jupiter 6 but with 8 voices and enhanced MIDI implementation, I personally like the Jupiter 6 (I have one) but concede that the Jupiter 8 has something special.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't disagree with Al Coda's assessment of the MKS-70, but I don't care I love mine. I had no strong desire for the synth, but came across one at an estate sale for $600 with programmer in perfect condition. I have it set up in dual stereo mode. It's just so easy to get wonderful pads and all. I use MIDI Quest more often than the programmer. Just a great sound. I passed on an equally beautiful MKS-80 with programmer. It would have set me back 3x as much. For that price I'd opt for one of the Dave Smith desktop units (Prophet 6/OB-6).

Busch.

I know it's blasphemy, but if software recreations are at all accurate, the Jupiter 8 doesn't really grab me. It just strikes me as having a thin, biting sound.

I'm judging this from the Arturia model, which may not be the best indicator.

I always remember the MKS-70 as having a very warm sound.

Sundown

I know it's blasphemy, but if software recreations are at all accurate, the Jupiter 8 doesn't really grab me. It just strikes me as having a thin, biting sound.

That's why you shouldn't trust software recreations.

....that said, the JP8 DOES have it's specific place. I always think Duran Duran.

Dan

I have bought and sold an MKS-70 on three separate occasions over the years. Absolutely loved the sound of it, but was always turned off by the very loud background noise. Would definitely welcome a modern version, but not holding my breath.

As I recommended in another thread, check out the Roland System 8 if feeling nostalgic for some semblance of that 1980s Roland synth sound.

The System 8 is a VA but it sounds great recreating those phat pads, basses and leads. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Interesting... I might pay $2,000 for a re-issue, but if it crept into $3K territory, I'd be looking at a Prophet-6 or OB-6 (despite the limited polyphony).

I've got two Super JX 10's, and might consider selling one. PM if interested.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

That's why you shouldn't trust software recreations.

....that said, the JP8 DOES have it's specific place. I always think Duran Duran.

Arturia emulations seldom hit their mark. Put your hands on a real Jupiter 8 and hear the magic. They have a somewhat narrow sonic range, but within that range they are incapable of making anything but beautiful sounds.

Moe

---

Archived