Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent controller for iPad?

Gary75

Sold my Kronos and intend replacing with an iPad Pro. First call will be Neo Soul Keys Studio. That leaves me to buy a controller. Needs to be 73-76 note, slim to the point it'll fit on top of the organ, doesn't need sliders/dials/screen etc, purely for piano work. I can't go 88 because of size. It needs USB midi. Now I can't find any fully weighted 73/76 midi controllers, so I need a decent semi weighted option. Just had a look at the Yamaha NP32 with graded soft touch. Not bothered about the onboard speakers. Anybody have any experience with this? Once you get into semi weighted stuff the market really opens up. I'm not easily able to demo stuff where I am so likely to buy unplayed. I want something that's not so light in action that it jumps velocity left right and centre when playing NSK.

So a slimline 73/76, preferably no speakers, USB to iPad ability, no control surface, but an action that'll feel decent with NSK.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha NP32 = 49" x 4.25" x 10.1875"

NumaCompact = 49.7" x 3.2" x 8.7" and gives you full 88 keys! Feels better, too.

NumaCompact2 = 50" x 4" x 9" adds aftertouch, powers from USB

and a couple of hammer action boards that might work for you if you can get by with fewer (but still more than 61) keys (I haven't played these myself)...

Roland RD64 (64 keys) - action similar to some other Rolands

Dexibell S1 (68 keys) - no idea about the action

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I did have a Kurzweil SP76, it was quite springy, push back from keys was quite a bit, but it was a great controller.

That was replaced by the smaller/lighter SP4-7... that could work for you as a particularly compact 76. It's a decent feeling semi, not as much pushback as most Kurz SW.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived