Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small mixer for keyboards with xlr outs

sagetunes

I only really need 2 channels, and I run everything mono. I want to go xlr to the house and xlr to my powered PA.

Thoughts???

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can purchase a Yamaha MG06x that have the XLR outs that you want:

yamaha mixer $125

OR perhaps a less expensive mixer without the XLR's outputs

mackie $50

and just add two of these to the outputs instead:

converters $12

so although a solution like the Yamaha might be your most preferred, option B with the converters might be every bit as practical and half the cost. Your call at the end of the day.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit 93 Band

I just got the Allen & Heath ZED 6FX for around $130.

Very nice quality, and you can get it w/o effects if you don't need them for under $100.

BIG plus in my book, and a major reason I purchased this model is that it does NOT have a wall wart.

I will be using this as my live mixer.

And yes it has the needed XLR outs you are looking for.

Paul

Very nice quality, and you can get it w/o effects if you don't need them for under $100.

BIG plus in my book, and a major reason I purchased this model is that it does NOT have a wall wart.

Paul

And it's sho purty...and I don't need the efx, so i got that going for me, which is nice.

Thanks all!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I've played through most of the low-end mixers: Behringer, Yamaha, Allen and Heath, etc. Not bad, really. Good bang for buck. I have a bunch of them in the back room.

I recently sprung for a Key Largo. Pricey, I know. But I have to say, it's like someone took a blanket off my speakers. A completely different league. Super crisp and authoritative sound, especially on APs.

Yummy.

If you're not playing through decent amplification, you might not notice the difference, so don't spend the money.

But if you've got nice speakers ... or decent FOH ...

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Another +1 for the Key Largo. Yes its expensive compared to the other options but its a great option. Also has the added benefit of ground lift and seperate monitor outs (albeit on 1/4 jack) if you needed seperate volume control.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Key Largo looks wonderful, the only thing I would miss is a headphone out, so I could mute my keys to foh and program my sounds with headphones on. Anyone know a good and small headphone amp that has l-r line in?

I find the monitor outs are ok for running my IEMs on stage. I use a 2x1/4"TRS jack to 1/4"TRS socket cable.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Anyone know a good and small headphone amp that has l-r line in?

Behringer Powerplay P1.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I use a Yamaha MG10XU I like it because I can also use it as the main mixer for solo or Duo work. Its small and works great I play mostly keys but also cover bass and guitar and sax on few songs. So I need enough inputs and the ability to turn the volume down on them when not using them. Not an issue for the guitars as the sax it has a small condenser mic that can pick up a lot of stuff just setting on a stand.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

FA InEar amp2

Offers balanced stereo inputs w/ thruputs and unbalanced stereo inputs as well, both w/ individual level controls.

headphones out on XLR or TRS w/ individual (master-) volume control.

plus (when needed ...)

body pack w/ passive volume control

Bodypack input is unbalanced stereo OR balanced mono on XLR .

Combine w/ any keyboard-mixer (key largo or samson sm10 p.ex.) and you´re done.

Together w/ Audio Technika ATH E70 earbuds it´s all about a grand, keybd.-mixer included,- and the schlep of active speakers is over.

Now think about what an excellent active speaker costs alone.

A.C.

Paul

I also considered that one. The biggest drawback for me was:

-No extra TR cable out. So to connect a monitor in between you need to split the XLR cable before going to FOH. Maybe you could use the headphone out, but it probably has too much gain....

-It's a bit bulky. I like to keep my MG06x in the bag of my K10. It's fits perfectly in there.

I really like the A&H mixers and hate wall warts as well. So was a hard decision. My ideal mixer does not exist I found out...

Rudy

That little ZED looks really good......how does it sound?

Like a $150 mixer. ;)

Which I guess isn't a bad thing if you are using Alto speakers or some other entry level models of speakers.

I bought the ZED when it first came out and certainly got my money's worth out of it. In fact I keep it in the wheel well of my Forester in a little laptop case as a backup in case of emergency - so yeah it's totally a functional , just ok sounding mixer.

Maybe 4 years ago I upgraded to the APB ProSpec 2U6M2S and the difference is seriously night & day. And most of the time, when I just play piano , no mics involved, I use the JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre - which makes both pieces sound like there's a blanket over the speakers.

Of course the APB and JMK are priced significantly higher then the A&H. So as is always the case in audio - you get what you pay for. ;)

I haven't heard it - but just going on the sound quality of my Radial Duplex - I would think the Key Largo would be an excellent choice. I'm certain not at the level of the APB or JMK but for the price point still very good.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

+1 on the Yamaha. ...

And the wallwart is undersized. I replaced mine with another with higher amperage capacity.

MC, What does the higher amperage wallwart bring?

Longer life and likely better sound.

They labeled the current draw on the mixer and the current capability on the wallwart. You always want current capability to be higher than current draw. The stock wallwart was undersized and would had worn out prematurely.

Behringer Powerplay P1.

I used one of these for a couple of months but could never get it to stop distorting on peaks.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

That little ZED looks really good......how does it sound?

Like a $150 mixer. ;)

Which I guess isn't a bad thing if you are using Alto speakers or some other entry level models of speakers.

I bought the ZED when it first came out and certainly got my money's worth out of it. In fact I keep it in the wheel well of my Forester in a little laptop case as a backup in case of emergency - so yeah it's totally a functional , just ok sounding mixer.

Maybe 4 years ago I upgraded to the APB ProSpec 2U6M2S and the difference is seriously night & day. And most of the time, when I just play piano , no mics involved, I use the JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre - which makes both pieces sound like there's a blanket over the speakers.

Of course the APB and JMK are priced significantly higher then the entry level A&H. So as is always the case in audio - you get what you pay for. ;)

I haven't heard it - but just going on the sound quality of my Radial Duplex - I would think the Key Largo would be an excellent choice. I'm certain not at the level of the APB or JMK but for the price point still very good.

Not willing to pull the trigger on Dave's gear (although I have given it serious thought), as the difference between entry-level MI gear and audiophile gear can be enormous.

The problem is that at the upper end, it's non-linear: you pay twice as much, but you don't get twice as much. True for speakers, amplification, etc. So for me it's all about finding that sweet spot where you get 80-90% of the experience for modest incremental $$$.

One example are the new QSC K8.2s. A healthy impression of the far more expensive RCF TT08-a for a fraction of the price. And I think another example is the Key Largo. There are others.

Personally, I'm hunting these out in my world -- how do I get champagne for a beer budget? Because any idiot (myself included) can easily blow big bucks on top-shelf stuff.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

I am pretty happy with my $150 Alesis 8 channel USB Mixer. It has balanced outputs but they are tip-ring-sleeve, so you'll need a cable with XLR on one end and TRS on the other if you need XLR outputs. Small footprint, plenty of gain, very versatile.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Key Largo looks wonderful, the only thing I would miss is a headphone out, so I could mute my keys to foh and program my sounds with headphones on. Anyone know a good and small headphone amp that has l-r line in?

I find the monitor outs are ok for running my IEMs on stage. I use a 2x1/4"TRS jack to 1/4"TRS socket cable.

That is awesome! Is the sound ok even without an amp?

www.landegren.se

I just received this unit and have not used it as yet so I can't comment on the quality of sound, all I know is that I didn't want a wall wart if possible, and I didn't want something like the little Behringer I had that dropped a channel when it felt like it in the middle of a song. I'm hoping this A&H will at least be dependable in that sense. And yes unfortunately I am playing through very low end Alto speakers at this time. Do hope to remedy that when/if funds allow.

Paul

Archived