Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leap Motion MIDI Controller

Tusker

Thanks to PianoMan51 for mentioning the Leap Motion Geco in this thread:

[video:youtube]kLkPvmr93K8

Who else (besides hardware) has dived into this? Would you care to offer a review, in terms of your experience but also, in terms of smoothness, ergonics and flexibility (variety of application)?

Thanks in advance. :thu:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this count?

Well you know me Tarkus. Anything with the name Moog gets me excited. However it has only two dimensions of control (as opposed to an easy four on the leap motion). It's easy to overlook how much expressivity that yields. Let's keep this thread focused on Leap Motion, and I'll join you in a "theremin as midi controller" thread if you want to start one. :):thu:

Just to keep the conversation going, here is another video from Hagai Davidoff which is only slightly jaw dropping :o

[video:youtube]TjF8JN5aVfc

Remarkable! Thanks for posting

Just to keep the conversation going, here is another video from Hagai Davidoff which is only slightly jaw dropping :o

[video:youtube]TjF8JN5aVfc

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I never get to play Mahavishnu anymore but love throwing in a Jean Luc solo line I stole from Apocalypse in random tunes.

32nd double bowing is easy with a finger scissor trill above Leap Controller USB Into Physis K4 for CHein Solo Violin.

Use 2 instances where PBend amounts are a half step off.

Sounds damn good for a sample.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

What magic is this?

Am I the only person who looks at this and thinks: Air Guitar!

Seriously supernatural stuff going on. I'd be interested in how it determines whether your hand is prone or supine--might have to look into this, just from a geeky perspective if nothing else.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I never get to play Mahavishnu anymore but love throwing in a Jean Luc solo line I stole from Apocalypse in random tunes.

32nd double bowing is easy with a finger scissor trill above Leap Controller USB Into Physis K4 for CHein Solo Violin.

That's a very interesting application, hardware. :thu: What is the command you are sending for the 32nd notes? Envelope retriggering? volume?

Just wondering if you've found the device to be gig worthy. Will dynamic light systems mess it up? Do you need to arrange for a static spotlight for reliability?

To daydream a little: I know there was a jokey thread recently about the iPhone X and its "true depth" camera system that projects IR beams on your face and can track facial movements. I've heard it mentioned that Apple is opening up the tech to developers. That leads me to guess that something very similar to what this Leap Motion controller does might be achieveable on this and future iPhones maybe with even more precision. Just what we need: more music tech that .01% of the synth playing population will embrace, I'm sure! :)

That's a very interesting application, hardware. :thu: What is the command you are sending for the 32nd notes? Envelope retriggering? volume?

Just wondering if you've found the device to be gig worthy. Will dynamic light systems mess it up? Do you need to arrange for a static spotlight for reliability?

I use it live.

I need three hands but the 3rd hand is an FC7 that applies Slight PBend to dual instances as my ENV rtrg gets the left hand scissor trill.

Just need to hold down a note.

At first its akward as you must control the note with your Leap and air played trill.

Right hand cant move or you screw up.

But its really a useful trick for as Reese says 1% of the time, but receiving nods from my mates for yet another trick is most rewarding.

I get 7 to 8 nods a night. I need nods.

My forte other than automating Vocal fx, are solo sections or parts others skipped by most like baba o Reilly, Edgar solos, etc.

Doing authentic Tull solos on Flute were weak until Orange Tree Passion Flute came out.

Im in a group that does 6 different tributes.

Benatar, heart, Tull, Emerson, Edgar winter and Uriah help.

We use 6 different medleys and 2 x 60 minute sets.

The Tull guy is my favorite, his voice is so fucking spot on its comical.

During Aqualung he got the lofi vocal setting from my Fireworx, and flipped out like it magic.

Locomotive breath is easy but needs that Flute, and again the guy gets all excited.

Using six different shows in one is our edge, they each bring their own crowd so we negotiated the door after a month.

Lot of egos but lots of fun.

Got tired of myself long time ago and must continue to keep interested by challenges.

Already tired of my SSV3 and waiting the XL which should be soon.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived